Stay onboard after your cruise until sail away?

twobluecats

This is snowing under excursions for our Eclipse, ex Southampton sailing next week and is priced at £30 pp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Snowing, obviously I meant showing.......hic.

This is snowing under excursions for our Eclipse, ex Southampton sailing next week and is priced at £30 pp.

What arrangements are made for storing your luggage ? I assume you don't have to keep it with you .

I think this is a great program . Wish they had it when I cruised the Summit from San Juan .

What arrangements are made for storing your luggage ? I assume you don't have to keep it with you .

I think this is a great program . Wish they had it when I cruised the Summit from San Juan .

Luggage is taken ashore as normal and has a different label attached and is stored elsewhere in the terminal and not with the regular collection area.

US immigration/customs wouldn't allow this. Effectively arriving passengers are mixing onboard with departing passengers which they would see as a risk. European authorities are a bit more pragmatic about it. Hence you never see a passport control arriving in Southampton, UK. It's all done remotely using manifests and passenger information.

Personally, I don't think this is a good idea. While disembarking is extremely traumatic [emoji23] the crew is under enough pressure on turnover day without having people hanging around expecting service. But anything for a buck (or a Euro!) I suppose...

Same here. While I'm a paying guest, on turn-around morning, on our last cruise, I saw people sitting by the pool, leaving coffee cups and dirty dishes while the crew were frantically cleaning and scrubbing everything in anticipation of the next guests. It would make me feel like I was adding work, and while it's possible to do it, why would I want to? I appreciate the crew, including those that we don't see or interact with, like the crew that cleans the decks and public areas. The cruise industry is making an extra buck and satisfying a perk some want, the next group of cruisers are still going to see the ship as spotless because of the hard-working crew. Besides that point, it's not tranquil or peaceful in any way. It's crowded, with turmoil and a lot of rushing around or just sitting watching the time. The cruise is over. We can find a better way to spend our time if we have a late flight plan. Just not something we would pay to do or do even if it was free.

We took advantage of this on our last cruise on Reflection, and really loved it, we had a 18:00hrs flight, so we had a lazy breakfast, took our bags to reception, got a locker, and then lounged by a very quiet pool until lunchtime and enjoyed a hearty lunch at Bistro on 5, (this has changed now I believe to a Sushi place) We found the ship to be quiet, and was really nice seeing new arrivals looking around in wonder, (it did make me want to stay a bit longer actually!!) but we got off around 2pm, and then went to the airport - much nicer than rushing off half asleep as we had before!

Depends when your flight to home is scheduled. If it is at 10 PM, leaving the ship by 9 AM leaves a whole lot of time to spend somewhere. Might as well be on the ship for a good part of it.

Or you could get off the ship, store bags at a hotel (most higher end hotels would gladly store you bags for a tip), or rent a car and just put bags in trunk, and have almost 12 hours to explore the town/area.

That's just it - you "took advantage" of a crew which was already under a tremendous amount of strain. The fact that the cruiseline allows it to happen is immaterial. It's wrong.

According to you it's wrong. Take advantage me? Seriously?

That's just it - you "took advantage" of a crew which was already under a tremendous amount of strain. The fact that the cruiseline allows it to happen is immaterial. It's wrong.

Origianal poster here. This comment is just ridiculous. We all have opinions, and to suggest yours supersedes that of others and telling some they "took advantage" of people is simply a demonstration of poor character.

We admittedly spend more time with crew members than guests (mostly because of attitudes we see much like this). With 3-4 cruises annually and most European and extended, we now have crew friends we regularly stay in touch with from around the world-Hotel Directors to bartenders and cabin stewards. That said, my experience and their opinion on such matters doesn't equate to others being "wrong." That said, we've been told by many crew friends that, beyond the cabin stewards really preferring that guests abide by the stated cabin departure time, most of the rest of the ship if operating "business as usual" on disembark/embark day.

Geez. Why is it so difficult to chat without being mean to others?

My experience (based on many cruises) has been that the majority of cruisers have no respect or real appreciation for the crew who cater to their every whim. I stand by that belief, which has only been strengthened by my experience on Cruise Critic.

When they tell you to disembark, get off the ship. Period.

You are certainly not judgemental, are you?:rolleyes:

My experience (based on many cruises) has been that the majority of cruisers have no respect or real appreciation for the crew who cater to their every whim. I stand by that belief, which has only been strengthened by my experience on Cruise Critic.

When they tell you to disembark, get off the ship. Period.

They are not telling you to get off the ship. Period. What a load of tosh.

Maybe we should make up our own rooms and wash dishes.

Just like arranging for late checkout from a hotel, the cruise line allows you to arrange for a late departure for a fee. And then they tell you to get off the ship.

How can anyone claim this is "taking advantage" of the crew? You pay for it. You aren't asking for any special favors. You still have to vacate the stateroom so the housekeeping staff can make it ready for the next passenger.

You are on the ship for an hour or so (along with the back to back passenger) before the new people begin boarding, then you join them for lunch in the buffet, or you sit around the pool. How is this "taking advantage" of the crew? If it was such a huge burden they wouldn't allow any back to back passengers!