What is the most active ship for Alaska?

Osnab

I've been on a cruise to Alaska and recall it can be slow paced on the ship. This time I want to take a friend who's considerably younger. Neither of us are into huge nightlife, but we also want to have some fun, especially at sea.

So to compare- Oasis class on RCCL would be ideal, but I don't think they sail in 2017 to AK. Carnival is out bc it's too crazy, and HAL Amsterdam is out because it's too relaxed.

Am I being like Goldilocks? Or is this doable?

Thanks in advance!

Felicia

If you like RCCL, Radiance or Explorer are doing the Alaskan cruises. If you are looking for a Promenade, Flowrider, etc, Explorer is the easy choice. Radiance is a bit smaller and with a few less bells and whistles.

Yes, Alaska cruises are different because they are focused so much on scenery and wildlife and it stays light so late during most of the season. I think all the lines dial back the onboard activities - especially in pool area(s) due to cooler temps and frequent rain. Also, people are so busy during the day (especially port days) there's not a lot of energy left for evening activities.

If you can wait until next year, maybe NCL Bliss
Story on local TV news last night about the remodeling of Pier 66 and NCL's long term commitment to their exclusive use of that terminal (along with sister lines Oceania and Regent). Bliss was mentioned as one reason for the upgrade to handle 4,000 passengers. But due to design Oasis class ships are unlikely. The open air inside facing balconies and tropical plants would not do well in Alaska cold.

28723509-fort-lauderdale-etats-unis-11-mai-royal-caribbean-l-oasis-of-the-seas-voile-de-fort-lauderdale-etats.jpg

I hope an Oasis-class ship never sails to Alaska! In Alaska, the itinerary is more important to me than the ship's activities or its bells & whistles. The ships going there seem to be getting bigger and bigger, and I don't like that. Multiple large ships in port at the same time overwhelm the smaller ports.

I am on Radiance of the Seas in Alaska right now. It's a great ship for Alaska, and I like its one-way itineraries. It also has plenty of "night life" - which I do my best to avoid! As Coral mentioned, Explorer of the Seas has a pretty mediocre itinerary on its round trip sailings from Seattle. (RCI's Voyager-class ships don't have the Flowrider.) Unless a ship sailing from Seattle has an outstanding itinerary - I'd choose a cruise that sails to or from Vancouver.

Unless a ship sailing from Seattle has an outstanding itinerary - I'd choose a cruise that sails to or from Vancouver.

Due to PSVA Seattle itineraries can't compete with Vancouver because they are all Round Trip. This means they have to "make miles" fast to get to SE Alaska and go "outside" Vancouver Is. in order to make port stops and then return fast as well. In the same time frame one-ways have more time to do the Inside Passage fully, have longer port stops and still cross the Gulf to a port that connects to Anchorage.

The advantage for Seattle is airfare - either cheaper than involving a leg to Anchorage or sometimes more expensive flights to/from Vancouver and US airports. Or, in our case, no airfare at all. :cool:

To a great extent, you can set the active as you wish. At least some of this is totally up to you.

Actually, this is not really the answer I wanted. I believe that of course, you are correct to a certain extent, but some cruises do offer more to do than others.

If you like RCCL, Radiance or Explorer are doing the Alaskan cruises. If you are looking for a Promenade, Flowrider, etc, Explorer is the easy choice. Radiance is a bit smaller and with a few less bells and whistles.

That's exactly what I was wondering! Thank you. I will look at Explorer.

That's exactly what I was wondering! Thank you. I will look at Explorer.

You will miss a lot about Alaska if you go on the Explorer of the Seas. As others mentioned -- it has the worst itinerary for Alaska. If you want nightlife -- look into NCL. It has a better itinerary.

I've been on a cruise to Alaska and recall it can be slow paced on the ship. This time I want to take a friend who's considerably younger. Neither of us are into huge nightlife, but we also want to have some fun, especially at sea.

So to compare- Oasis class on RCCL would be ideal, but I don't think they sail in 2017 to AK. Carnival is out bc it's too crazy, and HAL Amsterdam is out because it's too relaxed.

Am I being like Goldilocks? Or is this doable?

Thanks in advance!

Felicia

You have some assumptions that are very wrong. I find very similar activity and passenger demographics on BOTH Carnival and HAL. I have sailed each of these lines- multiple times in Alaska. Certainly- your "crazy" description is not even remotely accurate.

If you are looking for a a busy day activity list- Alaska isn't the itinerary to choose. You aren't going to find the pool activities, nonstop "busy" groups etc. It's going to be maybe a few trivia, lectures, and of course bingo. :) very similar on the major lines.