Cruise totally booked 1 year out

We booked voyager for May 12,2018 about a year ago. As of a few months ago it was totally open. Suddenly several weeks ago it was waitlist only in all cabin catagories. Has anyone seen that happen before. TA doesn't know why said she'd check with her regent rep. Hasn't gotten back to us yet. What do you think.

Your cruise is still just under a year away. Some itineraries do book up quickly but not necessarily ones in the Middle East. It is possible that a large group booked the cruise but this information is very difficult to find out. In any case, it is a great itinerary -- we did the same itinerary in reverse and loved it. You may find this article of interest.

http://cruisefever.net/0125-large-group-cruises-and-how-to-avoid-them/

We booked voyager for May 12,2018 about a year ago. As of a few months ago it was totally open. Suddenly several weeks ago it was waitlist only in all cabin catagories. Has anyone seen that happen before. TA doesn't know why said she'd check with her regent rep. Hasn't gotten back to us yet. What do you think.

Greetings from South Beach. A possibility is that a charter has selected this vessel for a gathering. Years ago, one Costa cruise to the Greek Islands we booked on was later charted by a group of doctor. We were among a few travelers who had booked before the charter. That bunch wasn't big enough to fill every stateroom, It was funny to attend lectures about diseases and malpractice.

Mary

Most likely a charter. If they don't sell completely, you will see it open up later. Our local PBS station has a charter sometime next year that they are advertising heavily.

After thinking about it a bit, you are booked on this cruise. It might be a good idea to find out who is chartering the ship, if that's the case. The knowledge would give you a chance to decide if you really want to sail with lots of pathologists or pot belly pig farmers, for example. We had no idea that except for us few civilians, the rest were doctors. I liked it and thought the lectures were fascinating.

Mary

Edited by warburg
spacing

After thinking about it a bit, you are booked on this cruise. It might be a good idea to find out who is chartering the ship, if that's the case. The knowledge would give you a chance to decide if you really want to sail with lots of pathologists or pot belly pig farmers, for example. We had no idea that except for us few civilians, the rest were doctors. I liked it and thought the lectures were fascinating.

Mary

How does one find that out. That was one of the TA's guesses. She does a lot of business with Regent and said if that's the case they will not want to advertise it. Thanks everyone for your replys.

:cool:

How does one find that out. That was one of the TA's guesses. She does a lot of business with Regent and said if that's the case they will not want to advertise it. Thanks everyone for your replys.

I have been very lucky with direct questions in a variety of settings. How about calling the general number and asking who is chartering the ship? You can tell them why you want to know, whatever that is. Once you board, you will find out everything, anyway. It seems a reasonable idea to keep you happy now now. In any case you have nothing to lose by asking.

Mary

Most likely a charter. If they don't sell completely, you will see it open up later. Our local PBS station has a charter sometime next year that they are advertising heavily.

PBS' "Artful Traveler" suddenly appeared on our late August Alaska cruise (but we are happy about it). Even with PBS onboard, the ship is not very full (note: they were having difficulty selling this cruise and the one prior to it which is why the "big sale" is currently on).

I'll be interested to learn what Regent has to say about next year's Voyager sailing. My gut tells me that they won't be very forthcoming as it could cause cancellations. Even if you like a "group", they take over too many venues (dining, lounges, etc.)

PBS' "Artful Traveler" suddenly appeared on our late August Alaska cruise (but we are happy about it). Even with PBS onboard, the ship is not very full (note: they were having difficulty selling this cruise and the one prior to it which is why the "big sale" is currently on).

I'll be interested to learn what Regent has to say about next year's Voyager sailing. My gut tells me that they won't be very forthcoming as it could cause cancellations. Even if you like a "group", they take over too many venues (dining, lounges, etc.)

Totally agree, Jackie.

Though I would love to do the PBS artful traveler cruise, it just isn't possible because we are doing Silversea explorer to Svalbard right before. Our TA is doing both, lucky girl.

Thanks TC2. We searched around and found by his cruise being advertised for seminars for health professionals. Shouldn't be a problem. Have sailed before with groups like this. I'm a retired nurse. I could use 18 CEUs this year. Forwarded it to our TA. She said that could be it don't know how you found it but good work.

Lucky you! We were on an Artful Travelers cruise on the Voyager in Nov 2015.

While most events are open to all, we found that "registering" through our TA (something on the web site mentioned this), we got invited to a number of more intimate events including several dinners with the PBS/NPR folks on-board. Between particularly good Smithsonian lecturers and the AT program, this was far away the best cruise enrichment program we've experienced.

I would definitely try to find out more! Our regent Alaskan cruise was marred since Toyota had booked the salesmen of the year and families. Over 1/3 of passengers were kids under 10 whose parents nor staff had any control over them. Actually received a rebate from regent because of the many issues. This far out, if available, try the reverse itinerary?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would definitely try to find out more! Our regent Alaskan cruise was marred since Toyota had booked the salesmen of the year and families. Over 1/3 of passengers were kids under 10 whose parents nor staff had any control over them. Actually received a rebate from regent because of the many issues. This far out, if available, try the reverse itinerary?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Agree with you. Must say, however, that Alaska cruises - especially in June or July have a lot of kids and, as many of us know, too many children are not properly supervised by their parents and the staff on Regent does not have permission to discipline them in any way. Sorry that your Alaska cruise wasn't as good as "normal" Regent cruises.

Lucky you! We were on an Artful Travelers cruise on the Voyager in Nov 2015.

While most events are open to all, we found that "registering" through our TA (something on the web site mentioned this), we got invited to a number of more intimate events including several dinners with the PBS/NPR folks on-board. Between particularly good Smithsonian lecturers and the AT program, this was far away the best cruise enrichment program we've experienced.

We also lucked into an Artful Traveler cruise in the Middle East in 2016 and I agree, the best enrichment program ever. Somehow we managed to get on their short list

and were invited to an initial cocktail party. We then signed up for dinner dates with the lecturers. Conversation was fascinating, as you might imagine. On our trip, we had documentary filmmakers.

If you have an opportunity to join a cruise of this type, jump into it! http://www.artfultravelers.com/

You all have given me hope. We have not sailed with Regent yet and yesterday we received a Regent brochure and, you guessed it, the Voyager May 12, 2018 sailing jumped out at us as it coincides with our 35th wedding anniversary (Luxor on our anniversary sounded great) You can imagine our disappointment when the Regent web site showed the entire ship wait listed and not having sailed with Regent yet I just assumed that those were all "hard and fast" bookings. Now I at least know that there is a possibility that cabins may be "released" later and we still might be able to celebrate our anniversary on Voyager. I know that the adage be careful what you wish for applies on Charters but hopefully it will all work out!

Hope to be sailing with you all in the future as we are late to the game and have just "discovered" Regent Seven Seas Cruises.

2onboard again. Our TA told us yesterday that last week she waitlisted a couple on this sailing and it cleared in 2 days. Good Luck and keep us posted.

Thank you so much for those words of encouragement. I will definitely let you know our experience.

If I were looking at that cruise, I'd want to know more about the group, particularly it's size, and what special group-exclusive events are planned. All of that matters. Most groups we've experienced on luxury ships have been barely noticeable. But a large group can be quite intrusive if not managed properly. We saw that happen once when Regent (Radisson) was running the PG. The main dining room was reserved for the exclusive use of the group on sail away night. At one port, passengers were denied access to the tender which was reserved for the exclusive use of the group. The group hung out on the pool deck. While all were welcome there, folks who were not groupies chose to hang out elsewhere. While the group didn't ruin our cruise, we had some awkward moments.

If I were looking at that cruise, I'd want to know more about the group, particularly it's size, and what special group-exclusive events are planned. All of that matters. Most groups we've experienced on luxury ships have been barely noticeable. But a large group can be quite intrusive if not managed properly. We saw that happen once when Regent (Radisson) was running the PG. The main dining room was reserved for the exclusive use of the group on sail away night. At one port, passengers were denied access to the tender which was reserved for the exclusive use of the group. The group hung out on the pool deck. While all were welcome there, folks who were not groupies chose to hang out elsewhere. While the group didn't ruin our cruise, we had some awkward moments.

I was on that cruise too and it wasn't pretty. It was a corporate reward cruise. Not sure which was the worse, being relegated to a buffet the first night, having decks closed off for parties, having the shows at night almost empty, or the alpha males and their trophy wives completely dominating the pool deck. I've been on that ship with other, smaller, groups, but nothing like this.

Glad our dear friend Wendy chimed in. Another special moment on the "special group" cruise happened on our departure. We had booked the ship's direct transfer bus to the airport at $30pp. (The ten minute cab ride to the airport then cost $30, half cost of the bus ride.) The scheduled direct transfer bus was scheduled to depart from the ship awfully early we thought, but at least we'd be first in line at check in. The bus arrived and the dozen of us who had booked the direct transfer boarded. We soon learned the reason we departed so early is because the ship had reserved the direct transfer bus for the exclusive use of the group. The ship had summoned the local hotel shuttle for the rest of us. So we lumbered through town stopping to pick up additional passengers at various hotels. We arrived at the airport an hour later to stand behind the groupies in the check in line. I can assure you Regent (Radisson) had no friends among us. Fortunately, Wendy had made other arrangements and was spared that last insult.

I was on that cruise too and it wasn't pretty. It was a corporate reward cruise. Not sure which was the worse, being relegated to a buffet the first night, having decks closed off for parties, having the shows at night almost empty, or the alpha males and their trophy wives completely dominating the pool deck. I've been on that ship with other, smaller, groups, but nothing like this.

How many years ago was this? Was Regent still managing the PG (which was really a long time ago). I remember hearing the story but, hopefully, this would not happen with Regent's current fleet! "Corporate Reward" cruises are definitely amongst the worst possible of the "groups". While the recipients are happy to win something, they know nothing about luxury cruising. and are not the best people to have on Regent (based on stories that I've heard from crew members).

My only experience with a huge group onboard was the Explorer christening cruise. While we were so thankful to be on the cruise we accepted everything that happened gracefully, the majority of people on the christening cruise were travel agents that took up every single area of the ship for meetings (even the library). I am happy that the TS was able to to determine that the group onboard their cruise will be doctors (we have sailed with this type of group before - in South Africa - and it wasn't bad at all). As long as they do not monopolize the dining venues and specialty restaurants, the TS should be fine!

You should hopefully be safe with a group of doctors. We are generally pretty boring.

I too was on a PG cruise with a corporate reward group. It wasn't a large group, so mostly did not affect us as we just avoided them. But they were very rambunctious, loud as all get out, and obnoxious on the tenders having drunk way more than any person should at one setting.