All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

That's a pretty dress! I am very fond of jersey type fabrics over many other materials out there. It just seems to wash and travel well. I'm thinking that the rayon/spandex mix is a jersey fabric.

The scarf is so pretty too! I love that we are getting into scarf weather soon. We've had a few fall like days, but it has been rather summery overall. The evenings and mornings are a bit crisp though, which is a sure sign of the fall.

My week's vacation has been nice. We've done a lot of small errands that we have been meaning to get to. We went to Ithaca on Tuesday, then detoured through Norwich to go the Northeast Classic Car Museum on Wednesday on our way back home. Today, we had an estimate done and then emptied the family room and pulled up the carpet. I took down the pictures and everything, and then patched the little holes from the nails in the wall. Tomorrow we are repainting the room. I may start painting the trim shortly. I really wish the new carpet was in. It's funny, because the carpet was supposed to take two weeks and the sectional 4-6 weeks. The sectional is in but the carpet isn't. They have agreed to hold the sectional for 30 days free of charge so we are hoping to get all this squared away very soon.

We don't have plans for Saturday yet. Sunday, my husband is working overtime.

At Movie Tavern, we saw Sully. It's a very good movie.

So....how 'bout them Red Sox?????

My dad's melanoma surgery was textbook today, and fortunately he's not in any discomfort. We will get the margin results in a week. It was a bittersweet day because I also met with my lawyer and signed the guardianship petition. Tomorrow we drive up to Lansing so my dad can see his younger brother and older sister. He hasn't seen them in a couple years, so he's very excited, and I am too. My aunt is 90 and she volunteers in a nursing home. She's awesome. I go home tomorrow night and I can't wait.

Tonight was fun. I met my DB and SIL at the local cruise-in vintage car get-together, and then we stopped at a local craft beer spot. I fell in love with a powder-blue Nova and sipped a Bloody Knuckle (made with blood orange). A nice way to end a long, challenging day.

Laurie, it sounds like you're having a nice vacation. I saw that there is a theater like you described being built in Sarasota (maybe it's open already, I couldn't tell). We might try it, I think DH would get a kick out of it.

Since the Yankees don't have a prayer, I'm hoping the Mets or the Tigers will give me a reason to watch post-season play. In the meantime, I just have to say M-Go Blue! and hope for a Rose Bowl berth. :)

Melody, how's the foot coming along?

Edited by MJC

Margaret , Glad you had a nice visit & that your Dad did well . Sarasota does have one of those movie dine places . It is in Westfield Soutgate Mall which is closer to the hospital area . It's a small but nice mall .https://www.sarasotamagazine.com/articles/2016/2/8/cinebistro-sarasota-opens-friday-february-12

Margaret, glad your Dads surgery went well. I used to have a powder blue Nova, loved that car. I'm also a gear head, love a good muscle car. I need to know what's in a Bloody Knuckle? I like blood orange.

Foot is very slow, I'm having much more difficulty getting up/downstairs than ever before. The pitch on the cast is such that I can't balance to pivot (let alone bear any weight). I'm very glad that our gym has a handicapped (wheelin) shower, otherwise I'd really be miserable [emoji849]. Thanks for asking. Melodt

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Melody, I'm sure this must be frustrating for you. One day at a time.

You know what is really interesting? Is learning how we have differences and similarities, yet we are all friends.

First we have our MLB. :p Now I am thinking cars. I don't know if I ever mentioned it, but my husband has a 1970 Dodge Challenger T/A he is restoring. One of the reasons we detoured on the way home from Ithaca was to go to the car museum. The cars there were not muscle car era, for the most half, but when you enjoy cars...well, this was a great thing to do.

I love these things because my husband does, and I know how badly he would like to get his car back on the road. I'm not exactly a gearhead, but I do enjoy cars a lot.

I am hoping all is well with Anita. I know that band takes up a lot of her time, as well as her husband being over in New Jersey. (it is New Jersey, right?)

Sally, when do you go on your cruise again? My husband and I are pretty certain we will be on the February 11th Brilliance of the Seas 5 night cruise. It stops in Key West and Cozumel. I've never been to Key West before. I've been on Brilliance before, and it is a nice, older ship. I think it was hard for me to not choose the cruise on Independence, since I love the Freedom Class so much. However, I think the itinerary is better on Brilliance.

Indy was going to Labadee and Jamaica. I enjoy Labadee a lot. That is where we had the beach bed on the last cruise. I am not tempted by Jamaica at all. We were there once before, and we wandered around in the gated area where the shops were and didn't venture further.

I would like to explore Jamaica more, but it will be on a ship excursion, more than likely. I would feel safer.

I'm just loving the new paint color in our family room. I can't wait to get the carpeting in and the new sectional. It has me wanting to do more in the house now. I'm sure my husband will be very happy to hear that. :rolleyes:

Laurie , We are going on a four day Oct. 20 . It is just a quick getaway .We have been to Key West numerous times and love it . I would suggest doing the conch train or the hop on hop off tour and then go to Sloppy Joe's for a few drinks . They have music and it is so much fun . Also great shops in Key West just not great beaches .

Been to Key West when we lived in FL. The conch train is fun. We might go back in Nov when we're at Sanibel. My SIL has never been & after a week she might be ready to get away from family [emoji6]

Laurie, a 70 Challenger! What fun! Melody

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Margaret, I just took a look and I agree with you. In her original wheel of colors, that is a very warm, deep ivory but then when she makes her clothing choices, those are very light whites. Otherwise, it's a great collection of things, isn't it?

It reminds me too that when looking in the stores at this time of the year, it's good to not just focus on the availability of earthy colors, but to definitely snap of those seasonless items that we come by.

You know, olive green skinny jeans look great with a sweater right now, but I can also see them with a floral print sleeveless top in warmer weather, for example.

I got out some of my cooler weather clothes yesterday. I left out the ankle pants and such for now, since we will still have some warm days. But the jeans and sweaters are out. I realized how much I tend to layer to get the most out of my clothes. I have very few things that are good for the cold right now. I'm trying to be selective and to think about fit a lot in order to get the most out of whatever I buy.

If you are looking for good fitting jeans, I have found Loft to carry really nice quality, good fitting jeans in a variety of styles. I have purchased a few pair lately, one at 40% off and then another pair along with a cropped pair for 60%, plus they were on clearance. They fit me better than anything else I've bought in many years.

I know we are all shaped and sized differently, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Gap jeans are very good fitting too. I got a pair at 50% off at the outlet mall not too long ago. I opt for straight jeans lately. I'm not 100% comfortable in skinny jeans, especially at certain times of the year because I can't wear ballet flats. I have a wide foot and struggle with casual shoes sometimes. Darn bunions. They seem to look fine with sandals and boots, but I don't know what to do with them in between.

I have always liked boot cut to help balance out my body, but I am finding that with my changing shape, I get frumpy pretty easily. They really need to fit just right, it seems. So straight fit is for me.

Sally, that sounds like a great R&R cruise. That is what we are aiming for with February. Cozumel will be out lazy beach day, and I'd love to check out those things in Key West.

Laurie, I agree with you about olive green being a good color for those transitional days. It's funny you mentioned bringing out cold weather clothes because I just did the big switcheroo with my shoes yesterday. We are finally getting days in the 60s and 70s, plus in general it just seems ridiculous to wear sandals in NY in October, no matter what the thermostat says. Can you believe it's going to be October on Saturday?!?

My most recent pedicure was a dark EARTH purple. It looked fun for my trips south but still seems appropriate for autumn here. I'll probably do one or two more, and then give my nails a rest until Christmas.

Here is a bit of cruise news, sort of. My anniversary is in early November - 30 years! - and I wanted to do something fun and different. So, today I booked us the Bon Voyage Experience on the Regal Princess while it's here in port. We get to board early, have a tour of the ship, have MDR lunch with wine, and then hang out on the ship for the afternoon until departure. I told DH that I bought his present today and that it was an activity in Brooklyn, but it was a surprise. I'm excited!!

Olive, one of my favorites. I had it on today (see the picture). We went leaf peeping today. 28 last night but mid 60s by lunchtime,

Margaret, that sounds like fun! Our anniversary (47th) is the end of November

Sally, we're planning on Dunns River Falls in April (hopefully the foot will cooperate by then)

Edited by awhfy

Melody , Your pink cast is clashing with the fall leaves . You will love Dunn's River . Wear water shoes or old sneakers.

I just realized it is a little over two weeks until my cruise and I haven't really organized anything . This is a first . It will also be the first cruise I do just carry on and so far I have purchased nothing new for this cruise . Maybe I need an intervention ?

Melody , Your pink cast is clashing with the fall leaves .

LOL

If you're not obsessing over packing your clothes, you're not doing it right. :D Laurie and I would be happy to obsess for you.

Actually, I dream of getting to the point where I could just throw stuff in a case and hop onboard. I have my going-to-Michigan weekend packing routine down to about 20 minutes.

Thinking of Anita because I think she's approaching fall break time. Any travel plans to NJ should include fleece! It's turned chilly all of a sudden.

Melody, how's the foot?

Lol Sally, I thought the same thing about the cast! I plan on my Keen water shoes for Dunns Falls

I did the same thing for our land trip. Of course, I had exactly 11 minutes to pack my duffle (thank goodness for cubes!!!) & I didn't forget anything & everything I grabbed went with several things. I may do the same for FL (except for my wedding outfit(s), narrowed down to two. One is a blush pink raw silk tshirt top (with jeweled neckline) & bronze raw silk pants (blush pink is one of the brides colors). The other is a turquoise/beige/bronze raw silk jacket with beige tank & beige raw silk pants. I think I'll take them both & decide based on weather. The invite says tropical evening casual so either will work. Les will wear either his black suit with turquoise or cream silk shirt or a deep khaki brown suit (I like him in both suits, but he loves his black suit

I go back to dr tomorrow on foot as I've had an awful lot of swelling the past few days (he'll likely put me in another cast, think I'll go for neon yellow this time!). Melody

Melody , November in Florida to me is perfect weather . Warm but not hot . A little cooler at night but not cold .Pack like early summer .Shorts , t shirts & an occasional light sweater and you should be fine .There is a great outlet mall not far from Sanibel that you would love .You also have the opportunity to take a ferry to Key West for a day .

I think I am not going nuts about this cruise because I travel for five days frequently and have it down pat now my transatlantic plus Barcelona is three weeks and I am planning like crazy . I actually had to get a file folder and organize the tours I have signed up for & things we want to see . So I am obsessed just not about the short cruise .

http://miromaroutlets-px.smrtlnk.com/directory-a-z/

Edited by Sailor_Sally

Sally, what ship are you on for TA? Our good friends are sailing from Barcelona TA. Glad we didn't plan to go with them this year [emoji849]

There's a ferry to Key West? I'd love that! I always hit the flagship store for Chicos on Sanibel. Melody

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Margaret's right, Sally. We can help you! My goodness, I get to planning so far ahead...my husband gets such a kick out of it. I'm almost certain of everything I'm wearing for the February cruise I'm about to book!

How about them Red Sox?!? I really wished they had beat the Yankees last night (sorry, Margaret) but props to Teixeira...that was a great play at the end of the game.

Now, I haven't worn pink in a number of years. But, think of this, Melody...October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. Pink will fit right in, if the doctor doesn't put a new cast on. You are very active already. Do you think maybe the swelling is from overuse?

Sally, that sounds like a great mall.