Breakaway Advice

MsJax

My BF and I JUST booked The Breakaway sailing on the 27th, that's right, just 9 short days from now!:eek:

Normally I am a hyper-planner, spending hours devoted to looking up reviews, recommendations and fact-checking. This time, it just isn't possible!

I was wondering if all the lovely CCers out there could please help me out and post what to do and what to avoid on the Breakaway and in Bermuda.

Thank you all so much, in advance!

Liked the Breakaway and love Bermuda! The regular restaurants are nice, we didn't go to Specialty (extra money). Manhattan Room for dinner was always nice. One advice for Bermuda. Stay off the mopeds...Too many horror stories.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Loved both the Breakaway and Bermuda!

Pools get super crowded so don't bother, head over to H20, adults only and much nicer (plus free, the Vibe cost money and I didn't think it was owrth it after seeing it) They serve Coney Island hot dogs around 3 pm!

The bar at H20 was a great place to hang out waiting for the sailaway but once you get moving you want to get to the top deck so when your going under the Verrazzano Bridge you can see the whole thing!

Try to eat dinner one night outside on the Waterfront, really neat.

Cirque Dreams is an extra charge but a great show, Rock of Ages included but just ok, Howl at the Moon is also included and a blast

Bermuda, buy the three day bus and ferry pass at the booth as soon as you get off the ship. Great value and easy to use with very friendly and helpful bus drivers.

Tons of beaches to see, most rent chairs, some have lockers and showers and food but the smaller beaches with no services were to me the prettier ones.

We did do a day pass at Coco Reef Hotel for our swimming beach day, great value and a nice resort. Price included lunch with a glass of wine, use of pool, beach, chairs, umbrella, towels and a shower.

We used the bus to see the island, stopping when we wanted to and getting back on when we wanted to.

Very enjoyable trip for us!

Have fun

Loved both the Breakaway and Bermuda!

Pools get super crowded so don't bother, head over to H20, adults only and much nicer (plus free, the Vibe cost money and I didn't think it was owrth it after seeing it) They serve Coney Island hot dogs around 3 pm!

The bar at H20 was a great place to hang out waiting for the sailaway but once you get moving you want to get to the top deck so when your going under the Verrazzano Bridge you can see the whole thing!

Try to eat dinner one night outside on the Waterfront, really neat.

Cirque Dreams is an extra charge but a great show, Rock of Ages included but just ok, Howl at the Moon is also included and a blast

Bermuda, buy the three day bus and ferry pass at the booth as soon as you get off the ship. Great value and easy to use with very friendly and helpful bus drivers.

Tons of beaches to see, most rent chairs, some have lockers and showers and food but the smaller beaches with no services were to me the prettier ones.

We did do a day pass at Coco Reef Hotel for our swimming beach day, great value and a nice resort. Price included lunch with a glass of wine, use of pool, beach, chairs, umbrella, towels and a shower.

We used the bus to see the island, stopping when we wanted to and getting back on when we wanted to.

Very enjoyable trip for us!

Have fun

Thanks so much! Thank you for being specific. Do you know if Horseshoe Bay has lockers?

Thanks for the info about Coco Reef! Was looking for something along those lines! Definitely will check it out

Pre-book your shows and any Specialty Restaurants before you board. The shows sell out fast and you'll have a better chance of getting a preferred time for your dinners if you do this.

Is there anyway to make reservations for the restaurants ahead of time without paying for them? We would like to use our OBC for them.

Edited by MsJax

Is there anyway to make reservations for the restaurants ahead of time without paying for them? We would like to use our OBC for them.

If u are using OBC for a dinner(s) you need to make the reservations on the ship. Best bet is to do that the 1st day.

Thanks so much! Thank you for being specific. Do you know if Horseshoe Bay has lockers?

Thanks for the info about Coco Reef! Was looking for something along those lines! Definitely will check it out

No lockers at Horseshoe Bay Beach that we saw. It is the most gorgeous beach. Take a walk all the way to the left and visit the coves and little beaches next door. It is a stunning walk.

Have a great trip. You're going to love Breakaway and Bermuda.

If you have a balcony cabin on the port side you can watch the Friday night fireworks from there. If not, watch from the Waterfront, deck 8, port side. Less crowded than Spice H2O that night.

Do take advantage of the Waterfront. There are so many comfortable wicker chairs and loungers to relax and read on. It's very peaceful there. We saw a couple schools of dolphins swimming next to us in the evenings on our way back to NYC.

Have fun! I know we did :D

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

We loved having dinner on the waterfront, we ate at Cucina and Moderno. Was a big hit for our group.

You can grab a variey of wrapped egg sandwiches at the Uptown Grill in the morning. Easy to grab, get some coffee and take back to the cabin in the morning. They made some great meatballs in the afternoon the week were on.

Have a great cruise!

Sailed on the Breakaway 5/11 - loved it! Awesome ship.

- book dining online now - Savor and Taste have the same menu and are contemporary casual; Manhattan dining room more upscale - has live music and dance floor; slightly different menu here.

- Rock of Ages was great - book online ahead of time (but not Weds nite!)

- Bermuda - Wednesday nite - take the ferry to Hamilton for Harbor Nites festival. It's from 7-10pm weds only. It's a nice little street fair on Front St with music, food, dancing and locals selling things. Lots of fun. They run the ferries until 10:30pm that night.

- if you like boat tours - I recommend the Famous Homes and hideaways cruise - you can book online ahead of time or at the Island Tour Centre in the dockyard. Tammy and Captain Jamie are great - lots of Bermuda history.

I definitely recommend Angel the singer in the Maltings bar - he's really great. Does everything from America, Eagles, simon and Garfunkel etc. he's really good.

There's a male/female duo as well that is really great - they cover all sorts of music and also do a tribute one nite to Neil Diamond and Barbra Streisand. Get there early if you want a seat!

Piano bar was great - only made it there once - make sure you get there (venue doubles as comedy club)

For the fireworks on the 80s party - you can see them on deck 8 port side. It was pretty nice. We sat outside by the martini bar and had a great view.

Food was good; lobster nite is served in the buffet. Also prime rib night was served in the Irish pub a few times during the week and then the last nite in the dining room (Manhattan).

Amanda

You're not Living, if you're not cruising.

Upcoming cruises:

Celebrity Summit - 6/29/14

Celebrity Reflection - 11/15/14 nursing cruise seminar

My only other advice would be - avoid the long 5 hr 'bus tours' offered. They are too long and it's the island bus drivers doing the tour - ours was ok, but half of the tour was union propaganda and it got very annoying. Pretty much half of Bermuda is unionized.

Have fun. You will love this ship. I certainly did.

Beds were very Comfy - we were in a balcony.

Amanda

You're not Living, if you're not cruising.

Upcoming cruises:

Celebrity Summit - 6/29/14

Celebrity Reflection - 11/15/14 nursing cruise seminar

LOL, thanks now that song is stuck in my head....what is that from?

It's been around since the late 80's and became popular on the Sheri Lewis childrens program and was on the Lamb Chop Album:)

Doesn't take too long and it gets really annoying. Just imagine a snow day and your kids singing it endlessly:eek:

Sheri Lewis and Lambchop my favorites!

Bermuda--fantastic port

Get bus and ferry passes(they sell limited amount at guest services).....very easy island to get around, with the most friendliest people ever!!

Take special/express bus to horseshoe bay

Go to glass beach(unbelievable) just two stops on bus( just ask driver)

Swizzle inn for drinks

Glass factory dockside(great demos) as well as shops

Hamilton nights on wednesday nights is fun

Never did caves or zoo...check Bermuda port of call

Breakaway

Crowded pools

Make show reservations(can be changed via touchscreen once onboard)

Great shows, big new beautiful ship, crowded in atrium, good food, nice staff, HOT DOG CARTS(yum) wonderful place to relax and enjoy!

Safe sailing

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app