Just How often do NCL ships miss GSC?

conandrob240

I have been reading people say that great stirrip cay private island is skipped more than 50% of the time. Can this really be true? Is there a season that it skips it more often? Is wind the main reason? If it skips, does it go to Nassau or is it another sea day?

We are crusing BA in November and I want to set my expectations on this. Already a pretty lame cruise port- wise so missing the one beach stop would be sort of a bummer especially given the pool situation on BA.

Can people please post actual sail dates/ ships and whether or not you stopped at NCL private island?

Edited by conandrob240

Now that Norwegian has built a dock and the tenders tie up rather than run up on the beach, it is a little better than used. I am not sure if they have built a breakwater protection for the dock yet or not. The wind is always the issue and there is no way to know in advance what a particular day's weather is going to be.

There was indeed a breakwater at the entrance to the harbor when we were there in Feb 2014. Two substantial docks as I recall. The harbor is quite calm. The problem we had was crossing from the protected harbor to the ship in very choppy water. Many didn't make it back to the ship with their lunch in tact. All in all, it was a beautiful cay, a fantatistic day and an exciting tendor trip. I highly recommend it and the private cabanas!

Not 50% of the time from what seems to get reported. Feb. of this year BA missed it 2 or 3 times. We missed it in March on BA and it too was the only place we planned to get off the ship. It was due to wind/waves. Slow trip to Nassau to stay overnight but getting there at 6 p.m. all is closed pretty much.

In 13 cruises with GSC on the itinerary we have never missed it once - we usually sail in January ( for our anniversary) and September ( for my birthday) ... We have had some near misses in hurricane season and once had to leave the island early as the weather turned and the wind picked up...but always made it onto the island

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Okay, this is very helpful. From this thread so far, 50% skipped seems to be an exaggeration. Those posting 11 of 13 times or your experiences, please also post month travelled and ship. And, yes, I certainly understand wind can be tricky anytime but definitely want to get a sense if certain seasons are worse chances than other seasons. It does cause concern that out of 4 trips in Feb , BA missed it 2-3 times! Is there something about the size of BA that makes it tougher to tender from it, I wonder?

Yes, fingers crossed that it makes the stop- it is the only one I want to get off at. Port canveral is a waste from 12-8pm and we do Disney 2x a year anyway and this will be 20th or so time to Nassau although if a nice day, I am excited to get some sun on Cabbage beach.

Thanks for the replies so far!

Unfortunately our family has a record of 0 for 1 with our GSC stops. We sailed the Pearl in November 2011 with GSC as our first stop then carrying on with a western itinerary. There was a hurricane to the east side of the Bahama island chain and the seas were too rough for the captain to risk going to GSC so we took the long way around Cuba on our way to Jamaica. It was an extra sea day for us, which we like, but we were also looking forward to a day at GSC. I think anytime during hurricane season there will always be a risk the ship may by pass this stop. Obviously it can be disappointing but NCL does this for the safety of all on board the ship (both passengers and crew). Good luck for your stop.

I think that most ships do make the stop and only cancel when the current weather conditions prevent them due to safety concerns.

I'm 8 out of 8 for making it to GSC, It was a close call on my Breakaway cruise last March because the water was choppy and the Captain wasn't sure he could safely tender passengers over. Luckily he found a good spot and after an hour delay, we were able to go to the island.