Just booked NCL Breakaway...

mommyto3nj

We are totally new to NCL. We have cruised Carnival Splendor and Disney Fantasy and now the Breakaway in November 2015.

We are staying in our first room with balcony! WOOT WOOT!

Some questions...I always hear NCL "nickels and dimes" you. What restaurants are included? What shows are included? What about entertainment? My kids are interested in rock climbing, zip lining, etc. what are the costs for those?

How does the dining times work? I understand that there is no times for dinner, is that correct?

Also, what about the kids club? What are the ages for each group? We are travelling with a 13, 11, 9 and 6 year olds.

Thank you so much for any tips you may have!!!!!

We are cruising on Breakaway November 8-15. When are you going?

I was on the same cruise last year and have the dailies and lots of pictures in the link below my signature. Our daughter was in the 6-9 year old group of kids club, so the weeks activities are listed as well.

Hope it helps.

We are cruising on Breakaway November 8-15. When are you going?

I was on the same cruise last year and have the dailies and lots of pictures in the link below my signature. Our daughter was in the 6-9 year old group of kids club, so the weeks activities are listed as well.

Hope it helps.

I loved your reviews! Thank you!!! I am so excited to go!

We are going November 1-8, 2015. The week right before you!

We are totally new to NCL. We have cruised Carnival Splendor and Disney Fantasy and now the Breakaway in November 2015.

We are staying in our first room with balcony! WOOT WOOT!

Some questions...I always hear NCL "nickels and dimes" you. What restaurants are included? What shows are included? What about entertainment? My kids are interested in rock climbing, zip lining, etc. what are the costs for those?

How does the dining times work? I understand that there is no times for dinner, is that correct?

Also, what about the kids club? What are the ages for each group? We are travelling with a 13, 11, 9 and 6 year olds.

Thank you so much for any tips you may have!!!!!

Rock climbing and zip lining (subject to height requirement) are free. On the NCL site:

http://www.ncl.com/why-cruise-norwegian/cruise-dining

look for the downloadable dining guide and that will answer about the restaurants and pricing.

Rock climbing and zip lining (subject to height requirement) are free. On the NCL site:

http://www.ncl.com/why-cruise-norwegian/cruise-dining

look for the downloadable dining guide and that will answer about the restaurants and pricing.

Thank you for that link. I'm still a little confused. I guess I'm used to just selecting the early dinner time and being "done" with choices! We are going with two other families. So would we just pick the complimentary restaurant we wanted to go to that evening and put our name in? Or can we book reservations in the morning for one of the complimentary restaurants? We most likely won't be doing many restaurants that cost extra.

Thank you for that link. I'm still a little confused. I guess I'm used to just selecting the early dinner time and being "done" with choices! We are going with two other families. So would we just pick the complimentary restaurant we wanted to go to that evening and put our name in? Or can we book reservations in the morning for one of the complimentary restaurants? We most likely won't be doing many restaurants that cost extra.

When you are ready to eat you just goto the dining room. No need to make a reservation. If you want you can. Our last trip they had it so you can prebook main dinning rooms online. Not sure if they are still doing this?

Another question: Does each dining room serve the same dinner each night? And if not, then how do we know what's on the menu that night?

Yes, the 3 included dining rooms have the same menu each night. You can go to the restaurants mid-afternoon and a menu is posted outside to see what's being served that night.

You can reserve online before you board as well.

Even when we had 6 or 8 in our party, we didn't wait long at peak dinner time. If you go between, say, 5:30 and 6:30, the wait is usually minimal.

I wasn't sure I'd like Freestyle dining years ago before we tried NCL, but it really is fine and it's what we've become used to.

I'm always amused to hear about NCL and the term "nickle and dime" because most cruiselines now have upcharge restaurants. NCL just has more choices. All cruiselines charge for drinks, photos, souvenirs, etc. I don't find NCL any more costly than others.

Have fun!

Edited by mizlorinj

I'm always amused to hear about NCL being referenced as "nickle and dimed" because most cruiselines now have upcharge restaurants. NCL just has more choices. All cruiselines charge for drinks, photos, souvenirs, etc. I don't find NCL any more costly than others.

Have fun!

My concern is with a party of 12 that we will wait forever for a table with freestyle dining.

I agree with you about the nickel and dime thing. That's why I am curious as to what is extra. From what I see, they have the same complimentary restaurants as Carnival and Disney. Now I'm wondering about entertainment. Is there a charge for all the shows?

My concern is with a party of 12 that we will wait forever for a table with freestyle dining.

I agree with you about the nickel and dime thing. That's why I am curious as to what is extra. From what I see, they have the same complimentary restaurants as Carnival and Disney. Now I'm wondering about entertainment. Is there a charge for all the shows?

The Cirque Dinner Show has a charge..I think it is $39.00 pp but it is actually a dinner and show. The other shows like Rock of Ages, Burn The Floor and others are free of extra charges. It is recommended though to make reservations for those shows. Not required but if you just show up you may or may not be able to get in.

Only one, and that's because it's a dinner show. Do make advanced reservations for the shows - you can always reschedule. Make sure you sign your kids up for the clubs when you board ( they will be in different groups). That week will be slammed with kids, and the first night will be chaotic. We paid for a spa pass, and it was great to get away from the crowds.

I believe they will allow you to make reservations in the MDR's for your group, maybe not are peak times.

We've cruised most mainstream lines and NCL doesn't charge for anything that the other lines don't charge for. The nickel and dime label is just dumb. They have more restaurants to chose from but three no charge dining areas is equal to, or better, than some other lines.

With a large party I would encourage you to choose a dining room the day before and make a reservation. It will be much easier for you. If you find a dining room and wait staff you like, you can request that table every night.

As far as entertainment NCL is our favorite line. There are so many different (free) options every evening and their large shows are terrific.

Edited by aprilrad

... Usually comes from megafans of other lines who are blind to the fact that every line charges for similar things.

Amen, tired of reading that "nickel and dime" nonsense. We've done RCI along with NCL, and Carnival (disclaimer - we owned their stocks) and there are basics included in the "fares" and then there are extra or optional expenses, none of which will deflate the cruise experience, i.e. not paying for soda or premium coffee, not wasting money on bingo, expecting free shore tours, free bottled water, etc. just to name a few.

Regardess of which line, the MDR, buffet and stay open for 18+ hours cafe/snack bar of some kind, etc. have been and always free. To manage 4,500 pax on a mega-ships with a main showroom capacity of 1,500 or alike, some sort of system need to be in place - whether it's FCFS or advance booking system with a time management schedule - simple as that, or else the dining venue will be half empty or packed with lines going around the ship.

A family of 6, you can be seated easily each night as there are plenty of tables for 6 and you won't have to worry about sharing & meeting strangers, especially with children in tow - choice of 3 MDR's instead of Carnival or RCI's one (1) MDR with either early or late seating at a fixed time - whereas show times vary by length & start time, so you can adjust & decide while on the ship on when to eat; and, hit the buffet at most time (avoid the peak period just before that evening's show.)

There are lots of open & public space all over the ship to relax so most of the time, you won't feel like there are 4,494 other souls onboard competing for things until you are back in NYC for disembarkation, that's when most folks are in a rush to get off (except us ... :D)

There are a # of recent threads/posts with the Freestyle Dailies (news/activities for each day) that you can search easily & read, sort it out by your ship to - ditto for kid's activities. Our review is linked under the SIGnature, if you wanted to see "old"er info - will do an update after we sail next month again on the BA, got a great deal at excellent prices despite the repeat destination (again, yes)

Just relax, sit back, start packing and there's a thread about "Tips for the BA" to read about - and enjoy NCL's Freestyle Cruising - afterall, there's a reason why RCI and Carnival started doing similar things with "Anytime" or "MyTime" Dining to give folks choices.

Our turns to be on the BA in 5 weeks, not soon enough - with the wind howling outside, at least the snow missed us or else I would be outside doing the sidewalk and driveway ... (but, another 1" to 3" tomorrow night, urrrrgh !)