How is this Hotel in Rome

travelplus

In Rome as part of our cruise my Father and I are staying for 4 nights in Rome Post Cruise at the Marcella Royal Hotel:

http://www.marcellaroyalhotel.com/

I got this on Hotwire for $100 per night with breakfast. Its very close to Bourghese Gardens, Piazza Republica and Termini.

Do you think this is a good hotel(4 stars). Thanks

Looks like a nice hotel. Reviews look good on Tripadvisor.

But its not exactly in the central location that we like to stay in. Our first trip we stayed very near the Spanish Steps - nice hotel but we couldn't really walk to everything.

Now we stay as close to the Pantheon/Piazza Navonna as we can. It is smack dab in the center and we walk to everything !!! We love to stroll with the locals in the evening and lots of great restaurants and shopping etc nearby.

I am sure it will be a nice stay and the price is WOW - amazing for Rome. Wonder why it is so low though ? That would concern me a bit. As a side note: we got a great price for a room in Barcelona on our first trip to Europe….. got there and there was construction going on :eek:

The star system in Italy is not the same as the US. 4 stars doesn't mean it's an upscale hotel. It is graded on the amenities offered. While it does look like a nice hotel, photos can be deceiving, but it does have a very good rating on TripAdvisor.

Have a Plan "A" and a Plan "B" for when Plan A falls apart. You may or may not be able to easily walk to the various sights. Once you arrive, find the nearest taxi queue (just in case you need it). If you have the hotel call you a taxi, the meter starts from wherever the taxi is located, not when it picks you up.

Have a great trip!

• 1 month later...
I noticed on the Marcella Roma website, that they charge 6E per day for city tax. I thought it was 3E. I guess they can charge anything they want, but it doesn't seem quite right, seeing that the hotel is not centrally located.

The hotel tax charged by the city of Rome has just increased as of September 2014 and depends on the number of stars the hotel has.

If the hotel you're asking about is a 4-star hotel, then the 6E tax is correct, up from 3E.

See article here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/italy/rome/11067505/Rome-doubles-hotel-tax.html

It's not a bad walk, IMHO. When I stayed up at the Rome Cavalieri, the hotel shuttle dropoff/pickup spot was at Piazza Barberini. That's not far from this hotel. It was an easy walk down (it is a slight downhill) to Trevi, across to Pantheon, Coloseum, etc. It's a little walk to the other side to the Spanish Steps, Via Condiotti. It's not "prime" location for tourist sites, but it's not off the beaten path, either (that would be the Cavalieri ;) ).

I do not like the area around Tremini. The park right across from Termini is full of bums and drug dealers. Do not walk around that neighborhood at night.It is fine during the day and very convenient to public transportation.

I'm not fond of Termini either, but sometimes it makes sense to stay there -- such as when one is only in Rome "in transit" for a night or possibly two.

Also, I'm not sure when you last stayed in that area, but it has cleaned up considerably in recent years. Still not really attractive, but I wouldn't say it's unsafe.

I do not like the area around Tremini. The park right across from Termini is full of bums and drug dealers. Do not walk around that neighborhood at night.It is fine during the day and very convenient to public transportation.

I'm not fond of Termini either, but sometimes it makes sense to stay there -- such as when one is only in Rome "in transit" for a night or possibly two.

Also, I'm not sure when you last stayed in that area, but it has cleaned up considerably in recent years. Still not really attractive, but I wouldn't say it's unsafe.

Oh dear, my mum may not like this.

I just won't tell her!

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed near here last month. Perfectly safe except for potential pickpockets at the station. They hang out at the station. We averted 5 in a gang while exiting the station. Family of gypsies. Outside is safe and we walked everywhere at night. Many people out and about. Restaurants are good and the best gelato at the oldest gelato facory in Rome (cheapest too). Prices for hotels are reasonable and it is close to metro.

We stayed near here last month. Perfectly safe except for potential pickpockets at the station. They hang out at the station. We averted 5 in a gang while exiting the station. Family of gypsies. Outside is safe and we walked everywhere at night. Many people out and about. Restaurants are good and the best gelato at the oldest gelato facory in Rome (cheapest too). Prices for hotels are reasonable and it is close to metro.

Good to hear. Thank you.