HO HO (hop on hop off) Havana Bus

zubee23

Vida - thanks so much for the map. I have been trying to decide which one I want to take. I have a full day in-town tour one day, so I am thinking of taking one of the outlying routes on the HoHo on my second day in order to see more of the city

Zubee - check out YouTube, there are numerous videos from people on the HoHo routes.

I wonder if 10 CUC is for a couple? I've read several reviews saying the cost is 5 CUC. Then again, with the coming of the Americans, a 100% price increase is possible, I suppose.

• 2 weeks later...

We printed out the photo of the bus and kept it with us. Whenever we were not sure of where to catch the bus, we simply showed the photo to a local and they would either point or suggest directions. Everyone was most helpful when we got turned around.

http://s999.photobucket.com/user/Yarkerhill/media/HOHOBus.jpg.html?sort=2&o=0

• 3 weeks later...

It appears that non of the Ho Ho bus routes actually cross over the water from Havana to the Morro Castle side. What is the best way to get from the cruise port area to the Morro Castle side? We would like to see the Fort and also El Cristo.

Thanks

Make life easy. Take a taxi. There's a tunnel under the harbor. At 9 pm every night, there is a costumed (1800s) military ceremony and canon firing, carriage rides and a souvenir market.

There's a ferry to Regla where the Christ statue is. The terminal is next to the last cruise pier, at the foot of Calle Luz.You can also see the statue from fairly close across the water if you follow the Malecon.

VidaNaPraia, your a wealth of information!! Thank You. Do you have any idea of what the cost of the taxi or ferry might be?

Ferry is a couple of cents in CUP/pesos/moneda nacional, not CUC. Do not pay in CUC.

Taxi probably isn't very expensive (I was with a friend who has a car.), maybe 5 CUC through the tunnel from the Havana Vieja neighborhood.

There are taxis waiting to take you back when the ceremony/show is over.

Make life easy. Take a taxi. There's a tunnel under the harbor. At 9 pm every night, there is a costumed (1800s) military ceremony and canon firing, carriage rides and a souvenir market.

There's a ferry to Regla where the Christ statue is. The terminal is next to the last cruise pier, at the foot of Calle Luz.You can also see the statue from fairly close across the water if you follow the Malecon.

Forgot to say there is another ferry to Casablanca (closer to castle) that leaves from the same terminal in Havana Vieja. They end up in different locations, so make sure you get on the one you want.

• 3 weeks later...
We will be in Havana for 2 days. Is this the best way to get your bearings day 1 & then visit the sights day 2?

What sights? Havana IMO does not have important must-see sights like, say, Paris or NYC. The monuments, IMO, are pretty unexciting.

A visit to Cuba is about the experience, not the places and things, IMO, and about Cuban people, meeting and getting to know them, hearing about their music and culture, which should be the feature of a visit, and is certainly what makes it unique.

The HoHo is ONE way to get a general overview of parts of the city directly along its route. For example, it does not and could not go into the Havana Vieja neighborhood, the most fascinating IMO because of the architecture and the view of daily Cuban life. It does not go into the side streets of the Vedado neighborhood, a more spread out, but also architecturally interesting neighborhood. Etc.

If you're planning to do a classic car tour, the HoHo would probably be repetitious. You need to make your own list of places that interest you and then plan how to get to them efficiently and interestingly. If the HoHo fits, then do it.

We did the hop on hop off bus. The boarding was right outside the cruise terminal. We got on the T1 bus for 10 cucs each. We just stayed on the bus for the entire route, this took between 2- 21/2 hours. We sat on the open air top, it was very interesting. Take along suntan lotion, we got baked in the Cuban sun. Watch out for low hanging tree branches.

• 1 year later...
Does anyone know if the hoho bus takes dollars or euros? It would make it so much easier than exchanging money. Thanks:).

From what I have read, Cuba has 2 currencies. One for Cubans and one for everyone else. You must convert your Euros or Dollars into Cuban currency when you leave the ship and then convert it back before getting back on the ship.

James

Sent from my iPhone using Forums