? for those that slap a luggage tag on a case of water

... do you just tape the tag to the actual shrink-wrapped case of water and hand it to the porters or do you find it better to put the case in some type of bag and then attach the tag to that? (and by "better" I mean do you have more success with getting the porters to actually take the water instead of denying it.... I know once it's on the ship, it still might not make it to my cabin since the porters have nothing to do with that part)

I'm boarding my next cruise from the UK, so it's not like I can bring a large, extra duffle bag with me for this purpose (due to luggage space), but if you think it makes a difference as to whether or not the Porters will accept the water, I can probably bring some sort of reusable shopping bag with a zipper or velcro-enclosed top. I'm just planning to pick up 1-2 small packs (4-6 1 ltr bottles) of sparkling water from the grocery near the port.... not a full case of 24 16oz water bottles (in case that makes a difference in the advice you can give me).

Thanks!

Melissa

I put a luggage tag on the top and side of the case of water and then tape it up with clear packing tape. Have never had a problem dropping off the water with the porter and the packing tape keeps the plastic packaging from tearing.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences with this. If I can find/fit a small, VERY lightweight, zip-top bag (since I am flying form the US to England) in my luggage, I think I will pack it and toss the water in there for good measure. If not, I will take my chances on just slapping the tag directly to the shrink wrapped sparkling water. Worse case scenario I am out a couple of GBP and will stick with plain old tap water on the ship... no biggie :)

Happy cruising!

Melissa

We've had the best luck putting the water in a small lightweight duffle and putting a tag on that. We always leave the shrink wrap on the whole "case" - this expedites the bag. If bottles are rolling around in there (as with our 5-8 bottles of sun lotion, that bag gets held up for a further check and sometimes arrives later)

The advantage of the lightweight duffle is we can use it as a beach bag all week on board and then with the water gone use it as a carry on for overflow gifts when flying home.

Edited by Familygoboston

Denied two weeks ago at Port Canaveral. Had to carry on. My homemade handy dandy handle worked fine. Next time it goes in a checked bag.

Maybe it's coincidence but everyone I read it was denied happened at port cañaveral.

Are you serious???????

Are you seriously confused by the question? If so, let me reword that portion of it for you... "for those of who chose to take a folded, paper luggage tag and place it on a case of water or other similar package of liquid, non-alcoholic beverages and proceed to tape it down or use some other method to affix it..."

Now, THAT would have taken up a lot of room in the subject line as opposed to what I wrote originally.... but if "slap" caused you serious confusion, then I seriously apologize and I sincerely hope that my detailed explanation cleared things up for you.

I'm being serious...

Melissa

Never had an issue at FLL or Galveston. I just use packing tape to place over the Royal tag directly on the case of water. I have brought two cases each time and never had an issue (I have always tipped the Porters when handing them our bags and cases of water).

My father tried putting his water in a regular suitcase only to have to report to the naughty room on Deck 1 of Navigator out of Galveston because they wanted to verify it wasn't alcohol. As soon as he opened up it and they saw it was water, they let him go.

We've had an obvious case of water refused at Port Canaveral, so now we put the water in some sort of bag.

We had the same experience as Clarea. We've used a small gym bag every cruise since then for water. The funny part is most of the time we still end up carrying on the "water" bag anyhow.

The bag can be used as an extra bag at disembarkation if needed too.

Have great cruise.

atgood

We've had the best luck putting the water in a small lightweight duffle and putting a tag on that.

The advantage of the lightweight duffle is we can use it as a beach bag all week on board and then with the water gone use it as a carry on for overflow gifts when flying home.

Brilliant idea, thanks for sharing! I'll have to remember that one! but we might use ours for dirty laundry ;)

"SLAP" a luggage tag.... Are you serious???????

:confused:

One definition of slap"

put or apply (something) somewhere quickly, carelessly, or forcefully.

"slap on a bit of make-up"

A perfectly good use of an appropriate word. :rolleyes:

:confused:

One definition of slap"

put or apply (something) somewhere quickly, carelessly, or forcefully.

"slap on a bit of make-up"

A perfectly good use of an appropriate word. :rolleyes:

Thank you OzKiwiJJ!!!! I was prepared to do the same thing (give a dictionary definition) if need be, but I am glad you jumped in on my behalf before it got to that point.... very kind of you :)

And to everyone else on this thread (minus one :p) thank you so much for sharing your experiences. I truly appreciate you taking the time to post in an effort to help me (and others who were probably curious)

Melissa