Airfare for March 2017 Fort Lauderdale Sailings

PGPrendy

Hi all,

My family of 5 booked Air2Sea/ChoiceAir today for our RCI cruise sailing from Fort Lauderdale in March 2017, and the rate we got is significantly less than anything else we've seen for those travel dates online. Given that it'll be Spring Break time, and after reviewing a number of discussion threads on Cruise Critic, we jumped at booking now because it seems that R/T non-stop flights for that time start at around $500 pp... we booked R/T non-stop flights at less than $400 pp. FYI, we are flying between JFK and FLL. I say all this to suggest checking Air2Sea/ChoiceAir if you're looking for flights during Spring Break season 2017. I hope this helps someone :)

You don't list your travel dates, but I see many nonstop flights during March 2017 ranging from $220 to $345 RT, depending on dates. Look at Delta.

Probably tried to book all seats at once, which put them in a higher fare bucket.

I asked on the OP's other thread on this if they know the restrictions on these fares.

You don't list your travel dates, but I see many nonstop flights during March 2017 ranging from $220 to $345 RT, depending on dates. Look at Delta.

Hi 6rugrats,

I apologize about the 2 posts in 2 different threads, but I've found these threads useful in my preparing to purchase air travel for our cruise, so I want it to be available for someone else who may be looking. Thanks for the input. Travel dates are from 3/24/2017 to 4/1/2017 from JFK to FLL and back. The lowest R/T fare I've seen thus far is $337 on Virgin America, but the times of those flights don't work well for us.

Probably tried to book all seats at once, which put them in a higher fare bucket.

I asked on the OP's other thread on this if they know the restrictions on these fares.

Hi CruiserBruce,

I tried booking all seats together and separately, but the fares all worked out to be the same either way. Not sure of all the restrictions. I know the purchased fare is "refundable with fee."

Edited by PGPrendy

There are numerous AA options for sub-$350, including non-stops southbound. Not sure where you are only finding Virgin America for those prices.

Hi FlyerTalker,

I've searched using kayak, priceline, and the airlines' websites, and even searched again after seeing your post, and nothing AA or otherwise is less. Most AA options I've found are connecting flights, and the lowest priced R/T is $396, which is also with connecting flights. Where did you find those fares?

AA goes into MIA. For a group of 5, that should be more than enough savings to cover a rental or shuttle service to Ft. Lauderdale. Easy trip up I-95. Only a 26 mile difference between the two.

If you are limiting yourself to FLL, you are deliberately shutting out options. Most everyone should look at both airports and then figure their total costs, along with the conveniences/difficulties involved with each scenario.

AA goes into MIA. For a group of 5, that should be more than enough savings to cover a rental or shuttle service to Ft. Lauderdale. Easy trip up I-95. Only a 26 mile difference between the two.

If you are limiting yourself to FLL, you are deliberately shutting out options. Most everyone should look at both airports and then figure their total costs, along with the conveniences/difficulties involved with each scenario.

Ahhh, I see. :o Thanks FlyerTalker. It's our first time cruising out of FLL, so we'll know for next time.

So true....

Many have said that FLL is the cheaper easier option over MIA but we had the opposite for our cruise this past March. MIA flights (from PHL) were hundreds less than going to FLL that even paying a private car R/T from MIA down to FLL still preserved savings.

The other thing is to not limit airline choices. For the past few years we only flew on Southwest because they were consistently the most economical. Once again, this did not hold true this past March. AA was the best price even AFTER paying the upgrade to get Group 1 Boarding and one checked bag each R/T. The lesson here: check the legacy carriers as well...and figure in the cost of bags. It might surprise you.

So true....

Many have said that FLL is the cheaper easier option over MIA but we had the opposite for our cruise this past March. MIA flights (from PHL) were hundreds less than going to FLL that even paying a private car R/T from MIA down to FLL still preserved savings.

There is no one answer- FLL is not always cheaper. But it does depend on airline and airport pair. People seem to want one answer that fits all situations...but it doesn't work that way.

And you have to figure in your ground transport costs...roundtrip. Of course, there is also the option to fly into one airport and out of the other.