Turkey Lira Question

We are going to be in Istanbul for not even a day. We want to see a couple of sights, visit the Grand Bazaar and then head to the ship. Do we need lira or can we pay in euros or dollars? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The only currency accepted is Turkish lira. The only few places which accept Euros the rate is very poor , the bazaar only deals in Lira. US $ are very unwelcomed and in the political climate of 2016, don't even offer.

Is this the same Istanbul that we visit quite frequently?????

Most places accept plastic and/or euros, I've also seen USD being used.

Tour boats (southern end of Galata Bridge) actually price their trips in euros.

In the Bazaars they'll probably also trade for your wife, your first-born, & any camels that you might own. ;)

Restaurants & cafes which sell alcohol will almost certainly accept euros - the majority Muslim inhabitants don't drink.

For admission to Hagia Sophia, Topkapi Palace, and now the Roman Cistern all accept debit/credit cards, but no foreign cash. There's no admission charge for the bazaars. Or for the Blue Mosque although donations (as you leave) are accepted.

Check the days of the week that these places are open.

The exchange rate for euros can vary a great deal - even from customer to customer. ;).

To avoid being ripped-off, if prices are only quoted in lire ask whether euros are accepted and what the price is in euros.

Lire only on trams, some taxis, & shops which are clearly for locals. Ferries don't accept foreign currency, and because fares are ridiculously cheap I doubt they accept plastic.

Euros are certainly more acceptable than other currencies, and I'm guessing you'll be visiting euro ports on your cruise.

But I always like to have some local shrapnel in my pockets , and I suggest you get the minimum lire that an ATM will dispense.

Flying in to Istanbul?

Do fix up your transfer in advance over the internet, it'll be cheaper than taxis on the rank. There are several large well-respected transfer operators such as http://www.istanbulairporttransfer.net/ Their prices are all very similar (22 to 25 euros Attaturk airport to Sultanahmet, more like 30 euros airport to ship). No payment with booking, pay the driver. In euros or lire, I don't know about plastic.

If you're expecting to arrive at the ship early morning before the baggage drop opens, there are left-luggage lockers at Sirkeci train station, quite close to the Spice Bazaar & not far (but uphill) to Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Roman Cistern etc. Then it's a two-mile taxi hop (with luggage I suggest you avoid the tram) to the ship.

Bear in mind that if flying in you will need a Turkish tourist visa. Use the official govt website https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

I don't understand the reference to "unwelcome in the current political climate". The locals are very friendly & helpful, and although it's a year since our last visit this forum is full of similar comments from those who've visited recently. Tourists, and their money, are very welcome in Istanbul - one of our favourite cities.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

I was in Istanbul a week ago, and found many shops in the Spice Bazaar that accepted euros. We used plastic at Aya Sopia.

The only sticky point was the WC at the Blue Mosque. We did not have ant TL on us, but the attendant took pity on us and let us use .50 euro coins. We also used euros to make a donation when leaving the Mosque.

I found people warm and gracious, and forgiving of my meager attempts at speaking their language.

I hope you have the same experience.

You can use Euros (and sometimes dollars) at many shopping venues in Istanbul. Keep in mind that if shopping in the Grand Bazaar (or elsewhere)...just about everything is negotiable....including the exchange rate! When combined with a major credit card (MC or Visa) one can do OK without Lira. One big exception is the tram (convenient for cruisers) which only accepts Lira to buy their jettons. If you do need Lira, there are plenty of ATMs scattered all over the city.

Hank

The only currency accepted is Turkish lira. The only few places which accept Euros the rate is very poor , the bazaar only deals in Lira. US $ are very unwelcomed and in the political climate of 2016, don't even offer.

This hasn't been my experience. In the Grand Bazaar and Spice bazaar you'll find merchants happy to deal in either euros or dollars. As already said, watch the exchange rate given though.

Many restaurants list prices in euros and some hotels charge in euros.

Admission to sites is generally in lira only but you can use a credit card at many of them.

As mentioned, you need lira in order to use the tram. Taxis often want to negotiate a fare rather than using a meter and often will quote you a price in euros.

I was in Istanbul a week ago, and found many shops in the Spice Bazaar that accepted euros. We used plastic at Aya Sopia.

The only sticky point was the WC at the Blue Mosque. We did not have ant TL on us, but the attendant took pity on us and let us use .50 euro coins. We also used euros to make a donation when leaving the Mosque.

I found people warm and gracious, and forgiving of my meager attempts at speaking their language.

I hope you have the same experience.

I guess I know what I can use my leftover TL coins for. Lol:D

Cruisemom brought up the topic of taxis! Just beware of taxis in Istanbul (and just about everywhere else) as they often take advantage of cruisers. If they are using a meter, make sure it is reset from the last fare, and have an idea of the route in case your driver decides to "take you for a ride." If they have no meter (or tell you their meter does not work) then make sure to agree on a price before you even get in the taxi. This means you should do some homework and have an idea of what a taxi costs (they are pretty cheap in Istanbul). A 1 mile taxi ride (with no significant delays) should actually cost you less than $2....but it is amazing how that ride could cost you $20! And in Turkey, no need to tip....just round up to the nearest Lira! We have had taxis try to rip us off in many places, but in Istanbul it seems to be the norm!

Hank

Cruisemom brought up the topic of taxis! Just beware of taxis in Istanbul (and just about everywhere else) as they often take advantage of cruisers. If they are using a meter, make sure it is reset from the last fare, and have an idea of the route in case your driver decides to "take you for a ride." If they have no meter (or tell you their meter does not work) then make sure to agree on a price before you even get in the taxi. This means you should do some homework and have an idea of what a taxi costs (they are pretty cheap in Istanbul). A 1 mile taxi ride (with no significant delays) should actually cost you less than $2....but it is amazing how that ride could cost you $20! And in Turkey, no need to tip....just round up to the nearest Lira! We have had taxis try to rip us off in many places, but in Istanbul it seems to be the norm!

Hank

Agreed; in most places it seems sufficient to insist on a metered ride and then to check & make sure you aren't being charged a premium. But in Istanbul it seems to be harder to get a taxi that's (mostly) honest. :cool: I've had the best luck asking a hotel to arrange the taxi. It seems they have a relationship with the hotel and mostly do not want to have guests complain about them.

Beware of the tactic by which the taxi driver says he can't drop you in front of your hotel. That's almost never the case. Dishonest drivers do this to keep you from getting the hotel staff involved in a dispute over the fare....

We just returned from Istanbul and this is not accurate. As our Turkish Tour guide said, Istanbul has been in the center of trade for thousands of years. They'll take any currency, and calculate the rate in their head faster than you can with a calculator.

We paid for all of our purchases in Euros and even made one purchase in dollars I believe.

The people were very friendly and it is a beautiful country with an amazing history!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Is this the same Istanbul that we visit quite frequently?????

Most places accept plastic and/or euros, I've also seen USD being used.

Tour boats (southern end of Galata Bridge) actually price their trips in euros.

In the Bazaars they'll probably also trade for your wife, your first-born, & any camels that you might own. ;)

Restaurants & cafes which sell alcohol will almost certainly accept euros - the majority Muslim inhabitants don't drink.

For admission to Hagia Sophia, Topkapi Palace, and now the Roman Cistern all accept debit/credit cards, but no foreign cash. There's no admission charge for the bazaars. Or for the Blue Mosque although donations (as you leave) are accepted.

Check the days of the week that these places are open.

The exchange rate for euros can vary a great deal - even from customer to customer. ;).

To avoid being ripped-off, if prices are only quoted in lire ask whether euros are accepted and what the price is in euros.

Lire only on trams, some taxis, & shops which are clearly for locals. Ferries don't accept foreign currency, and because fares are ridiculously cheap I doubt they accept plastic.

Euros are certainly more acceptable than other currencies, and I'm guessing you'll be visiting euro ports on your cruise.

But I always like to have some local shrapnel in my pockets , and I suggest you get the minimum lire that an ATM will dispense.

Flying in to Istanbul?

Do fix up your transfer in advance over the internet, it'll be cheaper than taxis on the rank. There are several large well-respected transfer operators such as http://www.istanbulairporttransfer.net/ Their prices are all very similar (22 to 25 euros Attaturk airport to Sultanahmet, more like 30 euros airport to ship). No payment with booking, pay the driver. In euros or lire, I don't know about plastic.

If you're expecting to arrive at the ship early morning before the baggage drop opens, there are left-luggage lockers at Sirkeci train station, quite close to the Spice Bazaar & not far (but uphill) to Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Roman Cistern etc. Then it's a two-mile taxi hop (with luggage I suggest you avoid the tram) to the ship.

Bear in mind that if flying in you will need a Turkish tourist visa. Use the official govt website https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

I don't understand the reference to "unwelcome in the current political climate". The locals are very friendly & helpful, and although it's a year since our last visit this forum is full of similar comments from those who've visited recently. Tourists, and their money, are very welcome in Istanbul - one of our favourite cities.

JB :)

Most shops will only accept cards or lira, not dollars, sterling or euros.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Most shops will only accept cards or lira, not dollars, sterling or euros.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Once again I have to agree with John Bull. I was there on June 9,2016. Among other things my DW bought some loose tea from a local vendor near the Grand Bazaar. His price was 15 tl, 5€ or $5. Given the relative exchange I went with $5 and he was fine with that.. Other vendors even though we did not buy gave us prices in multiple currencies as well. This is from real time this month so I would not worry about getting lira.

By the way we had the same experience the day before in Kusadasi.