Sydney Accomodation for Solstice cruise March 2017

magpies66

Thank you to everyone for sharing your preferences and ideas.

I haven't booked yet, but i will post my decision when I finally make it.

Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We are taking our first cruise in March next year and are looking for ideas re most convenient accommodation in Sydney. Are we better off staying within walking distance of the terminal or catching a cab from further out and getting dropped off at the door? Does anyone have any favourite hotels or suggestions?

We stayed at the Four Seasons which was reasonable and in walking distance to the terminal.

That sounds lovely but the website keeps saying nothing is available on the night before our cruise (24/3/17). Surely it's not booked out already! It would be just my luck [emoji20]

Phone or email them...As another post said perhaps it is just a date issue.

So I'm assuming from the comments that the cruise terminal is only a short walking distance from some hotels that you can LITERALLY walk with your luggage to the terminal?

Some of the cruise terminals I've departed from have had some kind of "security" gate that is designed to let only vehicles through and/or are set in an industrial type setting where there is not really any convenient (or safe) pedestrian access.

A hotel that is only a block and a half walk from the terminal sounds fabulous if I can truly walk there, but if it requires getting a cab to get to the ship anyway (no matter how close it is), then proximity is not too much of a factor in my selecting a hotel (in the sense of 1.5 blocks away vs. something like 1 mile away, for example).

Having stayed for one night before our cruise this March we stayed at the

Harbour Rocks Hotel by MGallery collection, it is literally a one minute walk downhill to the terminal, great rooms and location, would recommend it to anyone.

We stayed at the Quay West Suites across the street from Harbour Rocks several times and loved it ! Perfect location. I vote for staying in the Rocks.

So I'm assuming from the comments that the cruise terminal is only a short walking distance from some hotels that you can LITERALLY walk with your luggage to the terminal?

Some of the cruise terminals I've departed from have had some kind of "security" gate that is designed to let only vehicles through and/or are set in an industrial type setting where there is not really any convenient (or safe) pedestrian access.

A hotel that is only a block and a half walk from the terminal sounds fabulous if I can truly walk there, but if it requires getting a cab to get to the ship anyway (no matter how close it is), then proximity is not too much of a factor in my selecting a hotel (in the sense of 1.5 blocks away vs. something like 1 mile away, for example).

Yes you can LITERALLY walk up to the baggage drop off at Sydney. They even have people out front smiling and greeting you and guiding you to the correct place for bag drop and then checking your documents prior to going into the OPT.

We booked a taxi in but we came out and saw a queue for the lift for taxis and decided to walk to our hotel....

If I saw a hotel I loved a taxi ride away I would not hesitate to book. But there are several quay side perfectly walkable and with great views plus the ambience of being in Circular Quay or The Rocks area..

We love attaching 'city breaks' to our cruises. Sydney is a wonderful city pre or post cruise, make the most of it...As previous post say there are lots of options.

Walk up is fine. In fact when I need a taxi I get them to drop me in George Street near Holiday Inn and walk anyway, quicker and saves a few bucks.

We have stayed at Holiday Inn the Rocks and it was ok, very convenient for pre/post cruise. We got a good price before, seniors rate, but the prices have gone up since and I think it is overpriced now for what you get.

Check out Amora Jamison just down George St, still walkable from OPT, we got a club room for less than HI. :D and have stayed there before too so no surprises.

• 2 weeks later...

when a hotel is very close to the pier (as some of those you mentioned are) is it difficult to get a taxi to pick you up or drop you off?

I've had a couple of occasions where the taxi drivers weren't too happy when they heard where we wanted to go because the hotel was so close and the fare was too small! Normally I'd love to walk from the hotel to the pier but not loaded down with luggage!! Just curious...

Camelia

when a hotel is very close to the pier (as some of those you mentioned are) is it difficult to get a taxi to pick you up or drop you off?

I've had a couple of occasions where the taxi drivers weren't too happy when they heard where we wanted to go because the hotel was so close and the fare was too small! Normally I'd love to walk from the hotel to the pier but not loaded down with luggage!! Just curious...

Camelia

They might grumble but they'll take you.

• 2 weeks later...

Also depends on how long you are staying. for example the Four Seasons offer a 25% reduction for stays of three nights or more.

On the basis of advice we received, we are staying four nights at the Four Seasons (with a full harbour view) before the cruise(s) and one night at the Crown Plaza Coogee Beach at the end (the latter being funded by the saving in airfares obtained by delaying our return flight).

• 3 months later...
The Sydney Cruise terminal is at Circular Quay which is a fantastic place to stay IMO. I'd recommend a hotel in this area as it the transport hub for Sydney and very easy to get anywhere. There's a wide range of good hotels here.

The Intercontinental is close but I find it difficult to recommend as I've had real service problems both times I've stopped there.

I think the Holiday Inn at the Rocks might well be the closest to the terminal.

The Four Seasons is well located but the rooms are small. The Park Hyatt has a great location by the bridge but is priced.

The Shangri La might be worth looking at, particularly if you can get an Opera House view room.

Very slightly further away The Langham (formerly the Orient Express) seems to be getting good reviews.

Next door to The Intercontinental and a very short walk to the Opera House, if you like the idea of a hotel decorated in an old world club style The Sir Stamford at Circular Quay might be worth looking at (used to be a Ritz Carlton)

Just saw your post. Would mind telling me what your service problems at the Intercontinental were? We'd like to stay there in Feb.

Just saw your post. Would mind telling me what your service problems at the Intercontinental were? We'd like to stay there in Feb.

The first year the hotel felt a bit run down and staff were disinterested - Assigned a smoking room despite asking for a non smoking one - then they seemed put out when we asked if we could have a non smoking one (they were available!).

When we came to go return to Sydney a few years later we heard they had refurbished the whole hotel and the rates were good so we thought lets give it a second go...

(1) On 2 days room wasn't made up from the night before when we returned about 4pm in the afternoon. I would generally expect a room to be made up by lunchtime.

(2) Charges to have Ice delivered to your room - unacceptable in a 5 star hotel

(3) Due to maintenance work, the main lobby and lounge stank of industrial strength solvent / glue making the area effectively unusable most of our stay. Not notified to us beforehand - all refurbishment was supposed to have been completed months before.

(4) When I got my credit card bill it was obvious that they had charged the wrong account to my credit card - significantly more - and it bore no relation to the paper bill i had received at check out . I emailed them several times and got no response and had to dispute the charge through my Credit card company.

(5) A general lack of interest in guests by staff. Difficult to get attention in the bar and breakfast room for example.

Overall it just didn't feel like a 5 star hotel - fancy 4 star at best. This was several years ago but we wouldn't return to the Intercontinental.

Edited by DYKWIA

The first year the hotel felt a bit run down and staff were disinterested - Assigned a smoking room despite asking for a non smoking one - then they seemed put out when we asked if we could have a non smoking one (they were available!).

When we came to go return to Sydney a few years later we heard they had refurbished the whole hotel and the rates were good so we thought lets give it a second go...

(1) On 2 days room wasn't made up from the night before when we returned about 4pm in the afternoon. I would generally expect a room to be made up by lunchtime.

(2) Charges to have Ice delivered to your room - unacceptable in a 5 star hotel

(3) Due to maintenance work, the main lobby and lounge stank of industrial strength solvent / glue making the area effectively unusable most of our stay. Not notified to us beforehand - all refurbishment was supposed to have been completed months before.

(4) When I got my credit card bill it was obvious that they had charged the wrong account to my credit card - significantly more - and it bore no relation to the paper bill i had received at check out . I emailed them several times and got no response and had to dispute the charge through my Credit card company.

(5) A general lack of interest in guests by staff. Difficult to get attention in the bar and breakfast room for example.

Overall it just didn't feel like a 5 star hotel - fancy 4 star at best. This was several years ago but we wouldn't return to the Intercontinental.

Wow, that's disappointing. Thank you for your response