FAQ on air travel

Host Mike

Has anyone flown Austrian airlines ( Tylorean airlines)?

I booked 2 seats via United Award miles and was able to contact them for seat assignments thinking we rather not share a seat between us - 777-200ER plane that has rows of 3 seats and also have lie flat seats in business which unfortunately we did not have enough airmiles for both of us.

Anyways.. they have 4 rows on either side at the end of the plane with just 2 seats per row.. checking seatguru dot com I asked for row 36 so we have a window and aisle seat which is directly behind the center seat in the row in front of us thus giving the aisle seat more leg room to the left and not being cloncked by the beverage cart.

I know about the upgrade bidding but most likely won't be spending $400 more pp for a business seat when we are trying to save money.

So anyone flown with them before? seats ok in economy? service?

Edited by ISLABONITA

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone is interested...

Southwest Air has finally officially posted its flights through June 2015. I'm happy, 'cause I'm looking at airfare for my Adventure of the Seas sailing in May 2015. Southwest has the better roundtrip prices right now between Chgo MDW and San Juan PR.

• 8 months later...

I've become pretty knowledgeable about cruises, but when it comes to airfares, not so much, as we often use Oceania and the air is included in their prices. Someone asked me some questions about air that I couldn't answer, so need some help. I apologize if these questions have been asked and answered over and over.

First, how is Turkish Airlines in terms of maintenance in the cabin, appearance and comfort? What about their safety record? A TA told a friend it was not well maintained when she flew, but that could have been a couple flights, many many, years ago, hence the question. Are their flights from the U.S. to Europe comparable to those of Lufthansa, United, and some of the other flights Americans are likely to choose to/from Europe (in this case Greece)?

Also, when is the best time to book flights from the U.S. to Europe? How many months out is best for booking? He was shocked at the cost of flights from the DC area to Greece for late spring 2016. I assume his travel agent priced Athens, but I don't know.

Thanks!

Edited by roothy123

• 2 weeks later...

This is a question I sent to my travel agent, but I am happy to hear anyone's take on this based on their professional or personal experience:

As I mentioned some time ago, I am interested in taking a transatlantic cruise so I can see family in England ... not likely before 2017 though. I notice that the best cruise prices seem to congregate on (your travel agency's) 90-day ticker. That would argue for me to wait until I am 90 days out or less to book. But I would only be cruising one way. Since I don't intend to stay permanently in England unless Donald Trump is elected President (oops, did I say that??), that means I would need to fly one way. So my questions are these:

Is it more price effective overall to book close to the date given the cost of flying, or is it better to book further out?

Does it make a difference in cost if one flies eastbound or westbound?

My likeliest ports of departure would be NYC or Miami, FL

This is a question I sent to my travel agent, but I am happy to hear anyone's take on this based on their professional or personal experience:

As I mentioned some time ago, I am interested in taking a transatlantic cruise so I can see family in England ... not likely before 2017 though. I notice that the best cruise prices seem to congregate on (your travel agency's) 90-day ticker. That would argue for me to wait until I am 90 days out or less to book. But I would only be cruising one way. Since I don't intend to stay permanently in England unless Donald Trump is elected President (oops, did I say that??), that means I would need to fly one way. So my questions are these:

Is it more price effective overall to book close to the date given the cost of flying, or is it better to book further out?

Does it make a difference in cost if one flies eastbound or westbound?

My likeliest ports of departure would be NYC or Miami, FL

Sorry, I can't answer your questions, I guess, since we have different priorities.

WE first consider WHEN we can cruise(maybe a year or two before), then look at choices.

Have had best cost effective experiences with transatlantics' by booking

cruise and one-way flight packages with TA/cruise line.

Been on Transatlantic cruises in both directions using both NYC and Miami.

We've most enjoyed flying East to Europe (overnight, whilst at least half asleep), then taking a transatlantic cruise West with mostly 25 hour days.

We've experienced more jet-lag with cruising East and return daytime flights West(most Western flights are daytime?), back to the USA .

Now, maybe the experienced fliers would chime in with more COST info?:)

I'm curious about what others could add.

Now, maybe the experienced fliers would chime in with more COST info?
That's almost asking for a "My crystal ball is broken" answer. ;)

Often, you can still get low air fares 90 days out. Sometimes, not booking until then means that you can get something very cheap. Other times, waiting until that late means that you'll have to pay through the nose. Predictions are always difficult, but particularly so when they're about the future.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a cruise scheduled for the Christmas Holidays this year on the RCC Navigator of the Seas. Half of my family is flying in to the West Palm Beach airport and the other half are trying to get the cheapest tickets they can to either west Palm Beach, Miami or Ft Lauderdale. Assuming we are arriving at different airports (the night before the cruise) is it possible to rent a car to get everyone picked up and delivered to a hotel (which will presumably be in Ft Lauderdale) and then drop off the car at the Ft Lauderdale airport or would it be better to find a shuttle from each airport to the hotel? Being that Miami and West Palm Beach are a bit of a drive I am assuming hotel shuttles wouldn't travel there with a free shuttle. Or maybe there is an airport shuttle coming from those airports that would drive to Ft Lauderdale? I am not really sure how to handle the different arrival cities and needing to leave from Ft Flauderdale. Of course we would have the same issue leaving the cruise as well - not sure how to handle that either! I am fairly new to cruising and have never had this many people to arrange before. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Oh - also, how early is too early to book a return flight on the day we return from the cruise? I don't know how early we can get off the ship, get through any customs and still make it to an airport. Is there a standard to we need to allow for all of this?

I have a cruise scheduled for the Christmas Holidays this year on the RCC Navigator of the Seas.

Half of my family is flying in to the West Palm Beach airport and the other half are trying to get the cheapest tickets they can to either west Palm Beach, Miami or Ft Lauderdale.

Assuming we are arriving at different airports

(the night before the cruise) is it possible to rent a car to get everyone picked up and delivered to a hotel

(which will presumably be in Ft Lauderdale) and then drop off the car at the Ft Lauderdale airport or would it be better to find a shuttle from each airport to the hotel?

Being that Miami and West Palm Beach are a bit of a drive I am assuming hotel shuttles wouldn't travel there with a free shuttle.

Or maybe there is an airport shuttle coming from those airports that would drive to Ft Lauderdale?

I am not really sure how to handle the different arrival cities and needing to leave from Ft Lauderdale. Of course we would have the same issue leaving the cruise as well - not sure how to handle that either! I am fairly new to cruising and have never had this many people to arrange before.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Oh - also, how early is too early to book a return flight on the day we return from the cruise?

I don't know how early we can get off the ship, get through any customs and still make it to an airport. Is there a standard to we need to allow for all of this?

IMHO, Even though you came to the right place for suggestions, me thinks you posted too much to digest.:(:)

Have you a list of of car companies?

Oops. I guess I should break it down. Question 1... what is the easiest way to get a large family to a Ft Lauderdale hotel when we are flying in to 2 different airports? Question 2... How do we book transportation from the cruise dock to the West Palm Beach airport? Question 3... What is the earliest departure time we should book a flight leaving from an airport an hour away from the cruise dock?

Question 1... what is the easiest way to get a large family to a Ft Lauderdale hotel when we are flying in to 2 different airports?
Treat each arriving group as a separate group, and organise the travel independently.

It's too complex to herd all the cats into one car, particularly when you don't know which flight will arrive first - although you always hope that it'll be somewhere close to the scheduled arrival time, you have no way of knowing in advance whether that will be the case.

In your case, you have the additional complication that one group seems to be trying to do it more cheaply than the other. This can have an effect on the choice of transfer mode.

Only if you end up all buying tickets to the same airport should you do it differently. In any event, there is unlikely to be any harm in waiting until everyone's bought their air tickets before making arrangements for ground transport.

If my ship (RCC Navigator) docks at 5:30 am in Fort Lauderdale should I be able to make it on a flight from Miami which departs at 9:00 am? Normally I wouldn't worry but I had heard you should never book a flight leaving before 10 am.

Edited by slfam

If my ship (RCC Navigator) docks at 5:30 am in Fort Lauderdale should I be able to make it on a flight from Miami which departs at 9:00 am? Normally I wouldn't worry but I had heard you should never book a flight leaving before 10 am.

Absolutely no way. First, docking at 5:30 doesn't mean getting off at 5:40. Second, Miami is 40+ minutes away. Nobody here recommends catching a flight at Ft Lauderdale(which is less than 15 minutes away)before 10 (although it can be done in in very tight situations), not to mention Miami.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Absolutely no way. First, docking at 5:30 doesn't mean getting off at 5:40. Second, Miami is 40+ minutes away. Nobody here recommends catching a flight at Ft Lauderdale(which is less than 15 minutes away)before 10 (although it can be done in in very tight situations), not to mention Miami.

Thank you! You saved me from making a stupid mistake! :) Maybe after 4 or 5 cruises under my belt I will get this all figured out! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I am pretty new to using FF miles

We have United and AA

AA might only be enough for 2 one way

It's currently 10 months out. Do I need to decide right now or does someone have previous experience that we can wait? I hate to spend the miles when we are still several months away from final cruise payment.

I do lose them if I have to cancel, correct?

Thanks,

BJ

I do lose them if I have to cancel, correct?

No, usually you can cancel and redeposit your miles in your account, for a fee of course, or alternately change your flights. You'd have to check with UA and AA what their fees/conditions are, but in general I like to book early and change if necessary, rather than wait and risk losing my preferred flight options (indeed, just yesterday I booked award tickets for my European trip next summer - so if you were looking for Business seats on the UA non-stop DUB-EWR on August 16, you're too late :D ;)).

I guess I better get booking!

Thanks for the quick reply. I didn't know how active this board was.

BJ

No problem! Actually, there's quite a few regular posters here that are more than happy to help. Feel free to start a new thread if you need any advice on rewards flights, as these stickies tend to get forgotten somewhat.

• 1 month later...

Usually when we travel, I book our flights ourselves and do not use cruise line air flights and no travel agent.

This time (2 weeks ago), I decided to try RCCL Air2Sea for the first time and had our travel agent book our one way flight, and we are flying Air Canada. I have not received a confirmation email yet and when I go on the Air Canada site, the reference number given at the time does not work. And yes the charge for the flights is on my credit card from RCCL.

Question is: how long does it usually take before the travel booked with the cruise line system to receive confirmation by email? What has been your experience if you have used RCCL's Air2Sea program? I looked for a tread on this question and could not find one.

thanks for any information

Edited by searaider

Usually when we travel, I book our flights ourselves and do not use cruise line air flights and no travel agent.

This time (2 weeks ago), I decided to try RCCL Air2Sea for the first time and had our travel agent book our one way flight, and we are flying Air Canada. I have not received a confirmation email yet and when I go on the Air Canada site, the reference number given at the time does not work. And yes the charge for the flights is on my credit card from RCCL.

Question is: how long does it usually take before the travel booked with the cruise line system to receive confirmation by email? What has been your experience if you have used RCCL's Air2Sea program? I looked for a tread on this question and could not find one.

thanks for any information

ignor the question. received my information today;

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
I have a cruise scheduled for the Christmas Holidays....Half of my family is flying in to the West Palm Beach airport and the other half are trying to get the cheapest tickets they can to either west Palm Beach, Miami or Ft Lauderdale.....is it possible to rent a car to get everyone picked up and delivered to a hotel (which will presumably be in Ft Lauderdale) and then drop off the car at the Ft Lauderdale airport ..... I am assuming hotel shuttles wouldn't travel there with a free shuttle.

As someone suggested, don't try to arrange to get everyone there in one shuttle or rental car! #1, Palm Beach and Miami are almost 2 hours apart from each other, with Fort Lauderdale in between. That is too much backtracking for one vehicle. Secondly, if someone's flight is delayed it'll screw everything up. Arrange individually for each party. Better yet, let each individual party make their own arrangements. There are plenty of private shuttle/transfer companies. Same for the post-cruise return trip to different airports. And yes, I think you're correct in assuming Ft. Lauderdale area hotels won't offer a free shuttle service to/from PBI or MIA.

I am pretty new to using FF miles

We have United and AA

AA might only be enough for 2 one way

It's currently 10 months out. Do I need to decide right now or does someone have previous experience that we can wait? I hate to spend the miles when we are still several months away from final cruise payment.

Miles tickets may not always be available, so I'd book while they're available. If you wait, you may well find that those tickets are no longer available, or only available for a lot more miles, and cash tickets cost more than you want to pay. Did you mention final cruise payment because you still aren't sure if you're going on the cruise? :confused: As mentioned already, you can usually pay a fee to have the miles redeposited into your account.

As someone suggested, don't try to arrange to get everyone there in one shuttle or rental car! #1, Palm Beach and Miami are almost 2 hours apart from each other, with Fort Lauderdale in between. That is too much backtracking for one vehicle. Secondly, if someone's flight is delayed it'll screw everything up. Arrange individually for each party. Better yet, let each individual party make their own arrangements. There are plenty of private shuttle/transfer companies. Same for the post-cruise return trip to different airports. And yes, I think you're correct in assuming Ft. Lauderdale area hotels won't offer a free shuttle service to/from PBI or MIA.

Miles tickets may not always be available, so I'd book while they're available. If you wait, you may well find that those tickets are no longer available, or only available for a lot more miles, and cash tickets cost more than you want to pay. Did you mention final cruise payment because you still aren't sure if you're going on the cruise? :confused: As mentioned already, you can usually pay a fee to have the miles redeposited into your account.

You are responding to posts made in September 2015. Assume both parties already took their cruises.