Flying in to JFK

Desert_ Dweller

We have never been to New York and will be flying in to JFK, arriving at 5:00 pm, Oct 12 2016. Leaving home that same morning (6:00 am) from the west coast of Canada... hubby wants to stay near the airport as we have no idea of where we are going when we get there. We need some advice on hotels in the area for one night. The next two nights we will have a hotel in the Times Square area... it's the one night upon arrival at JFK that has me at a total loss after reading the comments on staying in that area. Then there will be the issue of getting to Times Square area the next day . Your guidance is always appreciated.

We have never been to New York and will be flying in to JFK, arriving at 5:00 pm, Oct 12 2016. Leaving home that same morning (6:00 am) from the west coast of Canada... hubby wants to stay near the airport as we have no idea of where we are going when we get there. We need some advice on hotels in the area for one night. The next two nights we will have a hotel in the Times Square area... it's the one night upon arrival at JFK that has me at a total loss after reading the comments on staying in that area. Then there will be the issue of getting to Times Square area the next day . Your guidance is always appreciated.

What's your hotel budget? Where are you staying in Times Square and what are you paying there?

To get to Times Square you can take a cab with a fixed rate to Manhattan (others should provide current pricing details - fixed base rate + possible tolls + expected tip) or book a car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo (look for online coupons).

What's your hotel budget? Where are you staying in Times Square and what are you paying there?

To get to Times Square you can take a cab with a fixed rate to Manhattan (others should provide current pricing details - fixed base rate + possible tolls + expected tip) or book a car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo (look for online coupons).

A Budget ? I'm going to say $150.- $175.('ish) for one night out of our Times Square area.

We have two nights at the Sheraton Times Square thanks to Starwood Points donated by our cruise companions.

Which is preferred a cab, Uber, or a car service?

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

I would not stay at any[lacp around jfk, just take a taxi or car service as was suggested to Times square area, taxi is a flat rate , I think about 75 with tip, I am sure someone can give you exact amount, if nothing else you can have a nice meal and you would have tome to see a show if you were not that tired. Normally it will take about a hour to get there

I would not stay at any[lacp around jfk, just take a taxi or car service as was suggested to Times square area, taxi is a flat rate , I think about 75 with tip, I am sure someone can give you exact amount, if nothing else you can have a nice meal and you would have tome to see a show if you were not that tired. Normally it will take about a hour to get there

One option might be to Hotwire for one night a four star property for midtown Manhattan for the first night. Another option would be to find a property in the Long Island City area for the first night. Then take a car service from there the next morning. I would only do that if the cost of the room is too much in Manhattan.

I'm glad you will be listening to our advice concerning JFK properties.

NYC yellow taxi is a flat rate of $52 to Manhattan, regardless of address, hotel or location plus a 80 cents surcharge & possible toll (1-way) - typically via the Queens Midtown Tunnel ($7.50 cash - electronic toll, known as EZ-Pass is under $6) plus tipping for the driver (20% of fare)

http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passenger/taxicab_rate.shtml#AirportTrips

Dial7 or Carmel - mobile App show a quote for weekday, JFK to the Sheraton @ $44 for a full size sedan or $51 for a luxury sedan, plus toll & tipping (online coupon code will usually discount the fare by $3 or $4 for the airport trip)

Some of the nicer 3 stars+ hotel in Long Island City, Queens - near/at Queensboro Plaza subway train station area are often discounted for under $100 a night + taxes/fees, perfect for an overnight stay after a long haul flight from the West Coast - followed by staying at the Sheraton @ Times Square as planned. Car service fare from LIC to Times Square with tipping should run about $20 at most via the Ed Koch/59th Street Queensboro Bridge.

Avoid even the Ramada & alike at/near JFK where the City of N.Y. has contracted rooms for emergency/transitional and short-term housing for needy individuals & families, etc.

Hey folks. The OP says she is looking for a hotel at JFK for one night. I know that nobody recommends staying at JFK, but.... The OP and DH are traveling all day from the west coast of Canada arriving at JFK at 5 pm on a Wed. It will be rush hour. They don't want to go to Manhattan, so I'm sure they don't want to go to Long Island City either. They just want to get to a local hotel and crash and I can appreciate that desire.

Looking over the JFK hotel list on TripAdvisor I'm seeing the Courtyard, the Hilton Garden, the Sheraton, the Hampton Inn, and the Fairfield Inn as the top 5 hotels at JFK. These hotels are $200+. Holiday Inn offers two properties that are in the OP's price range.

I skimmed reviews and one thing stood out for me - the JFK hotels are like the Newark Airport hotels in that not all of them are full service with restaurants. So if the OP ends up staying at JFK and expects to eat dinner, they need a hotel with a restaurant because there won't the other easily accessible dining options.

Bottom line - can anyone offer a suggestion as to an acceptable hotel at JFK?

OP - can we hear back from you?

Edited by 138east

Hey folks. The OP says she is looking for a hotel at JFK for one night. I know that nobody recommends staying at JFK, but.... The OP and DH are traveling all day from the west coast of Canada arriving at JFK at 5 pm on a Wed. It will be rush hour. They don't want to go to Manhattan, so I'm sure they don't want to go to Long Island City either. They just want to get to a local hotel and crash and I can appreciate that desire.

Looking over the JFK hotel list on TripAdvisor I'm seeing the Courtyard, the Hilton Garden, the Sheraton, the Hampton Inn, and the Fairfield Inn as the top 5 hotels at JFK. These hotels are $200+. Holiday Inn offers two properties that are in the OP's price range.

I skimmed reviews and one thing stood out for me - the JFK hotels are like the Newark Airport hotels in that not all of them are full service with restaurants. So if the OP ends up staying at JFK and expects to eat dinner, they need a hotel with a restaurant because there won't the other easily accessible dining options.

You are all so very helpful and we bow to your local knowledge of the area.

I had no idea that the properties near JFK were as you have described. And, no, it's not an area I would select knowing what I do now.

Carol is correct, our thinking was we just wanted off the plane and have a place to crash. So now, as it is rush hour, our plane arrives at just after 5:00pm, timing to get luggage...maybe 30 minutes ? Let's say an hour before we find our way out of the airport to a waiting taxi. Even at rush hour, is it a standard price for the yellow taxi ? New York with rush hour?? I can't imagine it wouldn't be rush hour all day long.:)

As long as we can be to a decent hotel (with a restaurant) around 7:00 we should be ok. I don't feel the need to book immediately, but I'm sure glad I asked where we should be looking.

Should I be looking at booking early or wait to see prices closer to October. Not likely will I have regrets either way. I value your opinions, and I take direction well when I've asked for help.

Because the taxi fare is set and not on the meter, the price is the same, rush hour or not.

For convenience, I'd book another night at the hotel you're already using. You'll avoid having to re-pack and unpack and won't spend limited time in NYC checking out of one hotel, moving, and checking into another.

As I have mentioned in other posts dh worked in law enforcement at JFK for 30 plus years. That is why I am adamant telling unsuspecting CC members what goes on at these properties. Taking the Van Wyck over to the LIC Astoria section of Queens would add only 20 minutes.

As I have mentioned in other posts dh worked in law enforcement at JFK for 30 plus years. That is why I am adamant telling unsuspecting CC members what goes on at these properties. Taking the Van Wyck over to the LIC Astoria section of Queens would add only 20 minutes.

Then, how long would it take in a taxi to get to Times Square the next day ?

I can't answer that, but any taxi fare within New York City would be metered. Only JFK to Manhattan (not Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx, or Staten Island) offers a fixed base rate.

Good to know !

After giving my update Carol, do you have another opinion for accommodation?

WWCD... What Would Carol Do ?

Good to know !

After giving my update Carol, do you have another opinion for accommodation?

WWCD... What Would Carol Do ?

What would Carol do? That's tough because I don't fit the normal cruiser profile at all - solo traveler, carry on only, and very budget conscious. First thing I would do is to book a cancellable room at JFK just to have a reservation. Second I would be watching Hotwire for a 3*+ hotel and at least an 80% approval rating. Right now I'm seeing a Times Square South 3.5* hotel with 80% approval for $221 plus tax. I would also watch Last Minute Travel where I'm currently seeing the LaQuinta prepaid in midtown (this is a favorite of one of our regular posters) for $225 plus tax.

Since I can manage my luggage, I would be taking Airtrain and the Long Island Railroad or the subway into Manhattan and a short cab ride to the hotel. I realize that this is not for everyone. The one thing I would NOT be doing is staying near La Guardia in Astoria or Flushing or in Long Island City.

Honestly, I think if you stay somewhere in between you will end up spending more money on the two leg taxi transportation and end up captured somewhere with marginal dining options. At least in Manhattan you can get pizza or interesting takeout close to your hotel without spending a fortune.

The next morning you can take a cab to your other hotel and leave your luggage with the bellman/concierge and be on your way to enjoying the city.

With all of your help, we have decided to do as you suggest. We will head straight to the Times Square area. I will keep my eye on hotel prices and jump in and book a room when I feel comfortable with the price.

A granola bar in my carry on bag, and we'll be good to go. Will be looking at a late night snack or pizza as suggested. Even if it's after 7:00 pm... at home, it would still only be 4:00 pm :D

Good idea, plenty of great pizza places and Jewish deli's in the area for a late snack , also some nice reasonable restaurants on restaurant row on 46th and 8th, here on my NYC tips

Becco's 355 West 46th Street 9th ave- excellent Italian, good prices

Peking duck. 53rd between lex and 3rd 212) 759-8260- also one in Chinatown on Mott st

Monte's 97 Macdougal St, and Bleecker in the Village - Italian restaurant that's been there since 1940's

Angelo Pizzeria 53rd and Broadway

Patsy's 56th and Broadway- music on Monday, closed holidays_ Italian restaurant that Sinatra used to go to

Music

Don't tell mama= 46th between 8th and 9th - no cover

Birdland jazz club= 44th between 8th and 9th, cover approx. 40 per

Ellens Stardust dinner 50th and Broadway- out of work Broadway performers sing while you dine

Carnegie Club- cigar bar- 156 West 56th Street Sinatra music Sat nite cover 40-

212-957-9676

Drinks food

Gallaghers 52nd and Broadway= cool bar

Algonquin Hotel 59 west 44th ST cool bar

NY Yankee bar steak house between 5th and 6th on 51st

TKTS For Same-Day Evening and

Next-Day Matinee Performances opens 11am one on Broadway opens 10am for early 3pm for late

Lohttps://www.tdf.org/nyc/7/TKTS-ticket-boothscated at the corner of Front and John Streets, near the rear of the Resnick/Prudential Building at 199 Water Street

Good idea, plenty of great pizza places and Jewish deli's in the area for a late snack , also some nice reasonable restaurants on restaurant row on 46th and 8th, here on my NYC tips

Becco's 355 West 46th Street 9th ave- excellent Italian, good prices

Peking duck. 53rd between lex and 3rd 212) 759-8260- also one in Chinatown on Mott st

Monte's 97 Macdougal St, and Bleecker in the Village - Italian restaurant that's been there since 1940's

Angelo Pizzeria 53rd and Broadway

Patsy's 56th and Broadway- music on Monday, closed holidays_ Italian restaurant that Sinatra used to go to

Music

Don't tell mama= 46th between 8th and 9th - no cover

Birdland jazz club= 44th between 8th and 9th, cover approx. 40 per

Ellens Stardust dinner 50th and Broadway- out of work Broadway performers sing while you dine

Carnegie Club- cigar bar- 156 West 56th Street Sinatra music Sat nite cover 40-

212-957-9676

Drinks food

Gallaghers 52nd and Broadway= cool bar

Algonquin Hotel 59 west 44th ST cool bar

NY Yankee bar steak house between 5th and 6th on 51st

TKTS For Same-Day Evening and

Next-Day Matinee Performances opens 11am one on Broadway opens 10am for early 3pm for late

Lohttps://www.tdf.org/nyc/7/TKTS-ticket-boothscated at the corner of Front and John Streets, near the rear of the Resnick/Prudential Building at 199 Water Street

Oh, wow ! Good stuff from all of you.

With so much whining going on on some of these boards/threads it's so nice to know some of you can and will help when help is asked for.

Now, as for this list of places to go in the Times Square area. You may want to know we're in our late 60's..young, late sixties though. Do you think

they'll allow us in ? I'm kinda reminded of Crocodile Dunndee's trip to New York. At home, we know everyone ...:eek::D

Oh, wow ! Good stuff from all of you.

With so much whining going on on some of these boards/threads it's so nice to know some of you can and will help when help is asked for.

Now, as for this list of places to go in the Times Square area. You may want to know we're in our late 60's..young, late sixties though. Do you think

they'll allow us in ? I'm kinda reminded of Crocodile Dunndee's trip to New York. At home, we know everyone ...:eek::D

You will find people of all ages at everyplace I mentioned and most other places in NYC ( with the exception of some music venues) I am in your age range, we do NYC every year and love it.

With all of your help, we have decided to do as you suggest. We will head straight to the Times Square area. I will keep my eye on hotel prices and jump in and book a room when I feel comfortable with the price.

A granola bar in my carry on bag, and we'll be good to go. Will be looking at a late night snack or pizza as suggested. Even if it's after 7:00 pm... at home, it would still only be 4:00 pm :D

Good plan! By the time you get thru customs and get your bags you will be nearing the end of rush hour anyway and most of the traffic is leaving Manhattan so you will be going the opposite way. Have a great time!

Please look into the Air Train and the LIRR. It is SO EASY and will save you a lot of money and stress. The LIRR will take you to Penn Station/Madison Square Garden. When you come out of there you can walk to a reasonable hotel. I have stayed at The Warwick- a short walk and they have rooms with 3 single beds and free muffins and coffee. It is an older hotel, but fine for one night.

Please look into the Air Train and the LIRR. It is SO EASY and will save you a lot of money and stress. The LIRR will take you to Penn Station/Madison Square Garden. When you come out of there you can walk to a reasonable hotel. I have stayed at The Warwick- a short walk and they have rooms with 3 single beds and free muffins and coffee. It is an older hotel, but fine for one night.

Okaaaaay, I will look it up. LIRR, me... hubby and luggage (not a lot), I dunno ?? We are brave.. but geez, this is our first trip to NYC.

Easy is when you know what you are doing.:(

It's really not hard

The air train is located in the airport and is the shuttle that takes you to each terminal, so chances are you may be on it anyway. The last stop is called Jamaica Station which is the LIRR

It costs $5 to exit the station. You buy a ticket from a machine, there are attendants to help you. That ticket gets you out of the air train and is also a subway card so you have the option of adding money to it if you plan to ride the subway. You then buy a ticket for the LIRR or you can take the subway, I think the LIRR is less confusing.

The train ticket is about $8 and you also get it at a machine

You exit the air train by swiping your card and then follow signs to the LIRR

It is right after you exit and you go down the escalator and get on the train to Penn station. There are luggage racks and it is the third stop

Okaaaaay, I will look it up. LIRR, me... hubby and luggage (not a lot), I dunno ?? We are brave.. but geez, this is our first trip to NYC.

Easy is when you know what you are doing.:(

If you are not on a tight budget just take the car service. It's not that difficult but dealing with urban conditions if you are not used to it might not be how to start your vacation. Jmo

As for Manhattan, just walk everywhere! If you are staying in Times Square you'll be seeing the double decker hoho busses. You might want to take a loop around to see everything.

It's really not hard

The air train is located in the airport and is the shuttle that takes you to each terminal, so chances are you may be on it anyway. The last stop is called Jamaica Station which is the LIRR

Caution, there are three Air Trains, the inner loop (clockwise) that just goes to the terminals and then two trains on the outer or counter clockwise. One goes to Jamaica and the other goes to the long term parking lots and the NYC Transit "A" train.

Just check the automatic signs for the Jamaica trains, train will travel in terminal ascending order. Cost is $5 per person PLUS $1 fee if you do not have a Metrocard. You can use one Metrocard for two people so $11 one way.

Exit AirTrain walk straight ahead to the overapass over the LIRR platforms. There are 3 ticket machines on this platform so you do not have to go down to the ticket office. Trains to Penn Station (Non-rush hours) leave from Track 2 most of the times (sometimes 1) check the station displays.

Oct. 12 is a weekday so your one way off peak fare is $7.25 per person, make sure you buy a ticket BEFORE you board the train. On board fare is $13!!

There are elevators to the platform but they are at the rear of the train and even not where the train platforms. Walk forward if you use the elevator to ensure you are by a car that is open.

FWIW