walking across the Golden Gate bridge

I am cruising Sept 2016 on Explorer of the Seas and we are spending 2 days in San Francisco. I want to walk across the Golden Gate bridge. So I want to know how to get to the bridge to walk. I'm not apposed to being taken across the bridge and walking back. Can I walk to the pier from the bridge?

Thanks for any advice or help.

KT

It is doable, but it would be a long walk. 90+ minutes to the south side, according to Google Maps, which you can use. Then it is a mile each way across the Bridge. And 90 minutes back to the ship.

If you look at Google Maps, it will give you public transit routing to get there by bus.

Edited by CruiserBruce

It is a very long walk from the pier to the Bridge.

I have walked from a similar location with my wife (actually a little closer). I think CruiserBruce has given you a good estimate of the length of the walk. Remember you might need to make some stops to and from the ship. We didn't walk across the bridge. We just walked to the bridge and that was sufficient.

Also depending on what day you walk and the luck of the weather it can get very chilly.

Keith

We've done the walk a few times, but as was mentioned - it is a fairly long walk (we're walkers).

Another option - but a transit day pass. That lets you get on/off the all buses and also the streetcars and cable cars. The pass for one day right now is $20, but each cable car ride is $7 - so it's pretty easy to justify the cost, if you want to ride the cable cars. We really like the street cars - they go ride along the waterfront to the cruise pier and Fisherman's Wharf (where the cable cars end).

You can get a day pass on the hop on hop off bus. Depending on the time of year and the specific company it may stop at both sides of the bridge. You can get off on one side and then walk all the way across and catch the next bus. Or do as we did, walk both directions and catch the bus back at our starting point. Plus the hop on hop off gives you a narrated tour of the city. Have done the walk twice now using that bus as my transportation there and would do it a third time if I visited again.

• 4 weeks later...

I think it's too far to walk from the bridge to the port. Get a 1 day Muni pass, about $25/person, it covers the Bart (subway), buses, and cable cars. Take the Powell/mason cable car to fishermans wharf then catch a city bus right to the bridge. The bridge is about a mile accross, but there is a bus stop on both sides of the bridge, if you you only want to walk one way (it can get cold and windy up there)

Edited by Ellefe

• 2 weeks later...

We also hired bikes - not expensive- and cycled around San Francisco bay and across the bridge, had lunch and got the ferry back. it was a great day, highly recommend. Great views and you can stop whenever you want for photographs.

Edited by Karen13

• 2 weeks later...
I think it's too far to walk from the bridge to the port. Get a 1 day Muni pass, about $25/person, it covers the Bart (subway), buses, and cable cars. Take the Powell/mason cable car to fishermans wharf then catch a city bus right to the bridge. The bridge is about a mile accross, but there is a bus stop on both sides of the bridge, if you you only want to walk one way (it can get cold and windy up there)

Agree- this is the best way. I usually get about halfway through the walk the OP is considering then I remember I am not twenty, nor am I immune to cold:-)

• 2 weeks later...
We also hired bikes - not expensive- and cycled around San Francisco bay and across the bridge, had lunch and got the ferry back. it was a great day, highly recommend. Great views and you can stop whenever you want for photographs.

Do you happen to remember where/who you rented the bikes from ?

Hopefully something close to pier 27

Srpilo

Do you happen to remember where/who you rented the bikes from ?

Hopefully something close to pier 27

Srpilo

We rented from Blazing Saddles. They have different locations around the city. I believe this was part of our hop on hop off bus package, and was discounted.