I need help really fast about puchasing train tickets

mafiadon

I have been trying to purchase my train tickets from Rome to Naples but am having such a hard time. I put in all the info and when I click continue after I have put in everyones name and email and phone #. Then I click on credit card and I accept the terms then click continue it takes me back to the beginning. It also says that if I purchase as a non user I won't get an invoice, I tried to register but I don't have an address in Italy to give them for sending me a card it won't let me register. If I don't have an invoice how am I going to print out my tickets. I am so confused also it never lets me put in my credit card info as it takes me back to the beginning to purchase tickets. I know this sounds confusing because right now I am very confused. Has anyone used this site to purchase tickets as this is the site I am using http://www.trenitalia.com/ If someone can please help I only have today to do this as my bank opened up my account to purchase these tickets for international purchases and will close it for tomorrow. Thanks Linda:confused:

I have been trying to purchase my train tickets from Rome to Naples but am having such a hard time. I put in all the info and when I click continue after I have put in everyones name and email and phone #. Then I click on credit card and I accept the terms then click continue it takes me back to the beginning. It also says that if I purchase as a non user I won't get an invoice, I tried to register but I don't have an address in Italy to give them for sending me a card it won't let me register. If I don't have an invoice how am I going to print out my tickets. I am so confused also it never lets me put in my credit card info as it takes me back to the beginning to purchase tickets. I know this sounds confusing because right now I am very confused. Has anyone used this site to purchase tickets as this is the site I am using http://www.trenitalia.com/ If someone can please help I only have today to do this as my bank opened up my account to purchase these tickets for international purchases and will close it for tomorrow. Thanks Linda:confused:

I experienced the same problem....was about to give up when I decided to complete the form using my hotel address in Italy...it finally let me log in after they sent an email with a number which I had to use..but it took 2 days.....but I was able to book pay and print tickets and I returned to the site last week to book additional tickets without a problem...worth a try

I am trying to register for the train site and where it asks for the address in Italy, please don't laugh at me but I am not sure what some of the boxes are asking. This is the address of our apartment Largo Pietro di Brazzà, 26 - int. 9, int. 9, Rome I know I have to put in Rome and when it says Via/Piazza I put in Largo but this is where I get confused and I seem to be doing that a lot. There is a box for address do I put in the entire address I posted then there is a box for Civic don't have a clue and also a box for Cap I just don't know what these are anyone got a clue HELP Linda:confused: Sorry forgot to mention after I put in Roma a box for Common and I don't know what that is either

Edited by mafiadon

I've been having problems booking tickets today also. I'm thinking there may be a system hiccup at the moment.

If you really need to book your tickets today you might want to try Italianrail.com. They will tack on a service fee but it should be just a few euros.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Went to that website and the price was about $250 more then the other and I didn't want to really spend close to $500 for train tickets if I could help it. I will try later. Thanks

Went to that website and the price was about $250 more then the other and I didn't want to really spend close to $500 for train tickets if I could help it. I will try later. Thanks

Yep, that site is like several other private booking sites that will cost the traveler a lot of extra money. It is the same with Raileurope, although their add-ons are usually not quite as bad. When we buy Italian tickets we go to the real source (Trenitalia) and when we buy French tickets we use SNCF (although you have to tell them you are in France). But the trickiest site of all is the New Zealand Rail folks. They seem to have two sets of prices....for those booking inside NZ or Australia and for those from everywhere else. If their web site detects that your computer is located outside Australian or New Zealand the site hides all the lower prices. So for the New Zealand site you need to fool them into thinking you are actually inside NZ by using a program such as "Tor Browser" where you can fool a server into thinking you are in NZ. Boggles the mind and one must be a bit computer savvy these days.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Take a deep breath.

You do NOT need to register on the Trenitalia site to purchase your tickets.

If you purchase without registering, you will receive an email with a purchase confirmation and all the itinerary information for your trip (including your seat assignment), and your booking code. You just won't receive an official receipt.

You print out the information (or have it available electronically) and you will show it to the conductor onboard the train. He may give you a receipt at that point (but I think you have to request it. Can't say that I have done that.) No one will check it as you get on, it will only be once you are underway.

When I've looked this up on travel sites, most have agreed it's a pain to register, doesn't always work if you aren't based in Italy, and there's no reason you need to do it.

P.S. Is there a reason you need to purchase the tickets in advance? You can always purchase them on site and shouldn't have a problem unless you'll be traveling on a holiday.

Edited by cruisemom42

Thank you cruisemom42, the reason I wanted to purchase them on line is because I wanted to have all 4 of us seated together and to have one more thing paid for before I go plus the cheaper seats are being sold out and I didn't want to have to pay for the most expensive ones. But I think the site might be having a glitch as everytime I get to the end of putting in all the info I just takes me back to the beginning and never lets me put in my info for the credit card. Thanks for clearing up the question on registering I was really confused LOL Now a day it doesn't take much to get me to that state. Linda

Sorry for the confusion - I know when I checked on my tickets today it was only four euros more to book - go figure! Being cheap though I postponed and just went online and had no problem getting my tickets at Trenitalia.

Good luck!

Barbara

I am trying to register for the train site and where it asks for the address in Italy, please don't laugh at me but I am not sure what some of the boxes are asking. This is the address of our apartment Largo Pietro di Brazzà, 26 - int. 9, int. 9, Rome I know I have to put in Rome and when it says Via/Piazza I put in Largo but this is where I get confused and I seem to be doing that a lot. There is a box for address do I put in the entire address I posted then there is a box for Civic don't have a clue and also a box for Cap I just don't know what these are anyone got a clue HELP Linda:confused: Sorry forgot to mention after I put in Roma a box for Common and I don't know what that is either

Don't laugh at me...when I did not know how to answer those questions I just put anything in...it was not the correct address when it gave options I just selected one...not knowing what I selected but it worked.....I tried to buy without completing for days before I decided just to create some answers to all those questions. Try again hope it will work....like I say once you get registered it is very easy...good luck

LOL did you ever have one of those days when nothing goes right, well I think today is my day. Just tried again and it just brings me back to the start, maybe it is just meant to not work for me today. Thanks for all the help even if I couldn't seem to get anything right I appreciate it. Linda:p

LOL did you ever have one of those days when nothing goes right, well I think today is my day. Just tried again and it just brings me back to the start, maybe it is just meant to not work for me today. Thanks for all the help even if I couldn't seem to get anything right I appreciate it. Linda:p

I just tried it by making a dummy booking. I had no problem getting right to the point where I had to input my credit card. (obviously I didn't do that.)

Maybe it's your browser. I'm using Google Chrome.

Also, what kind of train are you trying to buy the tickets for?

STEPS

I went to the site and put in my proposed itinerary (date -- day first, then month) and time.

The site gave me a range of time options. I selected one.

Then I was given a range of service (class options). I selected one, then pressed "Continue"

Then I was asked to input the information for the passenger(s) -- name, surname, email, contact number.

I then skipped the next section "Additional Services" (allows you to book a hotel or other services).

I then selected "non-registered user" and again filled in information -- name, surname, email, contact number -- for the purchaser.

I then selected the method of payment. Then clicked that I agreed to the terms. Then hit "Continue". The site then took me to the page where the credit card info needs to be provided.

Are you missing something on one of these steps that would cause the system to kick you back to the start?

Edited by cruisemom42

Have you taken a look at the Italo website? Italo is a private train company and they added a train from Roma Termini to Naples earlier this year. They also run from Roma's Tiburtina and Ostiense stations, so be sure to pay attention to which departure point you put in.

I've booked a trip each on Italo and Trenitalia. Italo's website is a lot easier to use http://www.italotreno.it/en/Pages/default.aspx and assign seats. Trenitalia didn't really let me assign seats and did it for me, but when I looked again several weeks ago, it did have the "pick your own" seat assignment functionality.

For Trenitalia, check the right hand side of this page for your issues

http://www.seat61.com/Italy-trains.htm#How to use Trenitalia.com

6. Problem: I have to register but haven't got an Italian address. No, you don't need to register, you just need to change the default Registered User to Non Registered User, then you can buy without registering.

Further problem: There isn't a 'Non Registered User' option! Reason: Part of the journey is on a Regional train. Solution: Either just book the high-speed part of the journey and leave the regional ticket until you get to Italy, or simply try http://www.italiarail.com instead as it doesn't have this problem.

Seat61 also notes on the page that if you use italiarail (not italianrail), you can e-mail them to have service fee refunded.

Edited by travelpeon

I booked thru rail europe very quickly and easy.. their booking fee was 20 euro for the 5 tickets.. plus they had first class tickets for 50%.off from rome to venice.. so the 20 euro booking fee was fair and I didn't mind paying it when I went to trenitalia they wanted double for the first class tickets

I just tried it by making a dummy booking. I had no problem getting right to the point where I had to input my credit card. (obviously I didn't do that.)

STEPS

I went to the site and put in my proposed itinerary (date -- day first, then month) and time.

Then I was given a range of service (class options). I selected one, then pressed "Continue"

Then I was asked to input the information for the passenger(s) -- name, surname, email, contact number.

I then skipped the next section "Additional Services" (allows you to book a hotel or other services).

I then selected "non-registered user" and again filled in information -- name, surname, email, contact number -- for the purchaser.

I then selected the method of payment. Then clicked that I agreed to the terms. Then hit "Continue". The site then took me to the page where the credit card info needs to be provided.

Are you missing something on one of these steps that would cause the system to kick you back to the start?

To add to Cruisemom42's instructions: when you select your train, just above the "Continue" button, you will see "View other prices and services" - ignore this one. Just below that one, you will see "AUTOMATIC ASSIGNMENT Select Seat SEAT NEARBY" with click buttons next to each. Click on the "Select Seat" button to be able to select your 4 seats together. The thick grey bars on the seating chart indicate a table - if you select the 4 seats surrounding one of those bars, you will be sitting facing each other.

Thanks Star, I booked through the website you suggested and I finally got my tickets. They cost me a little more but at this point I didn't care it is done and tickets are printed. Now I can start growing my hair back from pulling it all out yesterday LOL

Thanks Star, I booked through the website you suggested and I finally got my tickets. They cost me a little more but at this point I didn't care it is done and tickets are printed. Now I can start growing my hair back from pulling it all out yesterday LOL

great enjoy.... i felt 20 euros extra for 5 tickets quick and easy was worth no hairpulling and stress lol

Useful reply, cruisemom42!

A definitive source for all things rail is the website The Man in Seat 61. Also now available as a book. Here's the page on Trenitalia reservations.

http://www.seat61.com/Italy-trains.htm

+1.

This website provided all the information I needed last fall for booking my Trenitalia tickets from Venice to Milan, then my TGV tickets from Milan to Paris and then my SCNF tickets to Amsterdam, down to the time period to get the best deals (on the latter two) and even seating charts for the cars. (I get carsick traveling backwards.)

Edited by CintiPam

STEPS

Yes everything works fine up to the point you enter all your credit card details that is when it fails

But I think the site might be having a glitch as everytime I get to the end of putting in all the info I just takes me back to the beginning and never lets me put in my info for the credit card. Thanks for clearing up the question on registering I was really confused LOL Now a day it doesn't take much to get me to that state. Linda

Yes everything works fine up to the point you enter all your credit card details that is when it fails

That's not what the OP said she was experiencing. See bolded statement above.

She couldn't get to the screen where you actually input the CC info. I could when I tried it. (Didn't take the next step though -- I didn't want to hit <Enter> and buy a ticket I didn't want.)

The good news - I finally did manage to book my tickets on the Trenitalia. However, the experience was frustrating.

I made eight attempts and failed seven times. The problems were not always the same. Once, I got all the way to the credit card step, but I got an error message saying (I think) something like the information I had entered was not complete. Two or three times, I got to the place where I could select seats, so I did, and got an error message saying there were no seats available even though the diagram showed most seats in the car were not taken.

I phoned a friend who had successfully booked his tickets through the site, and he got onto the site and tried to walk me through the process. Sometimes I got an error message and he didn't when we had both typed the same info in. Sometimes I got no error message and he did, at exactly the same point. But neither of us could get all the way through. We agreed to quit and ponder on it.

I closed the browser, and then decided to give it one more try. Opened the browser, and got successfully through every step including payment, and a ticket that was SMSed to me minutes later. Yayyyy!

My advice is: 1. keep trying, and 2. Get out of the browser and start all over again. I think maybe info gets stuck in the browser somehow.

Edited by wassup4565

Hi Wassup4565, I was having a lot of problems with the error code, never could get to a seating chart. I could only get to the point were I could put people's names and email addresses and click unregistered user and click credit card and accept but when I clicked continue I was sent right back to the beginning of the different train schedules. I must have done it 40 times and even tried using Google Chrome and got the same results. So I used the website Host Star suggested, I did have to pay $80 more but at that point I didn't really care I was so frustrated. Had no problem getting the tickets from there and got all our seats together so in the long run I paid more but didn't have any problems so at least it is done and I know we will all be on the same train and sitting with each other. Just to let you know I closed my browser many times and tried over two day but that site just hated me and didn't want me on it, it hurt my feelings LOL

Edited by mafiadon