Gold, Platinum, Diamond, and ...

pmb1

This topic was prompted by Austcruiser84's post #18 on the Diamond member benefit thread.

Given there is a group of travellers who have sailed well and truly beyond the 150 days needed for Diamond membership, I feel Cunard should add a new level (many airlines are doing this, i.e., gold and then gold elite).

The new level (say, after 600 days) could include the following additional perks:

1. Free Internet

2. Butler service, if travelling in club balcony or above (so, it would extend to Britannia in a limited way)

3. Free laundry and dry cleaning

4. One complimentary wine package (6 bottles - can be exchanged for 2 or 3 bottles of spirits)

5. Complimentary spa pass for the entire voyage

I agree that a beyond-Diamond level is needed and that 600 days is a good threshold for it. We can quibble about the benefits (my suggestions are a reserved seating area in the Queens Room and $1/day OBC for all your past days on Cunard), but the real problem with creating a new level is what to call it.

The precious metals have been used (silver, gold, platinum) and to most people diamond connotes more value than emerald, ruby, sapphire.

You see the problem. No metals left, no gems available, what's left?

Gold, Platinum, Royal, Imperial (over 2000 days)? Any suggestions?

This topic was prompted by Austcruiser84's post #18 on the Diamond member benefit thread.

I agree that a beyond-Diamond level is needed and that 600 days is a good threshold for it. We can quibble about the benefits (my suggestions are a reserved seating area in the Queens Room and $1/day OBC for all your past days on Cunard), but the real problem with creating a new level is what to call it.

The precious metals have been used (silver, gold, platinum) and to most people diamond connotes more value than emerald, ruby, sapphire.

Sorry, no suggestions but neither Royal nor Imperial works for me.

Passengers who spent 2,ooo days on board would have the equivalent of having spent 5.49 years on board Cunard ships. Considering the proliferation of cruise ships in recent decades, I image that will be a category with a limited number of members. What World Club category should be created for those passenges? I don't know. But my hope is that whatever term Cunard uses for those who spent more than 5 years on their ships, those passengers receive special benefits. Call it Queens Reward or call it Special Seafarer - it doesn't matter as long as loyal passengers catch a break.

Edited by Salacia

Funny - I was going to start this thread, but had not got round to doing so until now. You solved my problem of starting a new thread :)

I like the suggestion of Commodore Level, but it doesn't really fit with the precious gems and metals (unless Cunard rebranded the levels).

Perhaps (Black) Opal, Tanzanite (doesn't have a loyalty level sound to it though) or Emerald would work. Diamonds are ubiquitous and aren't really that prestigious considering most women have at least one on their finger!

Please........ Noooooo!

The most wonderful, terrific, refreshing part of the Cunard forum is that no one seems to get hung up on loyalty schemes.

The Celebrity Board (among others) is absolutely overrun with conversations about levels and benefits. It used to be all the Elites who get a bit of free laundry and an hour or two together to eat mass market canapés with a glass of low grade fizz. Now they're all grizzly because there's a new Zenith level that no-one will ever reach and the entire points system is changed so that those on the cusp of Elite stardom are not so special any more.

On a previous voyage, the very nice couple on the table next to us were later than normal turning up for dinner one evening. It transpired that they'd been invited along to meet the captain (again, third time on the trip) and to collect their diamond pins. The old codger quipped that he couldn't care less about loyalty levels, all he wanted was for his food to be hot when it was put in front of him.

But with a sense of the inevitable, may I suggest obsidian level? A nice black card, laser cut and etched from cooled black lava and embellished with iridium lettering. As all metallurgists will know, iridium is rarer and more valuable than any of the supposed "precious" metals that end up in the exhaust system of your car.

At a cursory glance, the obsidian card would look like the famed, coveted Amex Black card. You could show it to your butler when he delivers afternoon tea to your club balcony cabin.

Edited by Chunky2219
typo

It's the same on the p&o boards and forums...the Goldie's that were are a tad precious at times...of course they are now Caribbean and it doesn't have quite the same ring to it....but they expect this and expect that and it appears us lower tiers are just not worthy :rolleyes:

We are platinum on Cunard and really just like the fact we can on board a bit quicker and post a few photos whilst aboard to make our friends jealous!

Please........ Noooooo!

The most wonderful, terrific, refreshing part of the Cunard forum is that no one seems to get hung up on loyalty schemes.

The Celebrity Board (among others) is absolutely overrun with conversations about levels and benefits. It used to be all the Elites who get a bit of free laundry and an hour or two together to eat mass market canapés with a glass of low grade fizz. Now they're all grizzly because there's a new Zenith level that no-one will ever reach and the entire points system is changed so that those on the cusp of Elite stardom are not so special any more.

On a previous voyage, the very nice couple on the table next to us were later than normal turning up for dinner one evening. It transpired that they'd been invited along to meet the captain (again, third time on the trip) and to collect their diamond pins. The old codger quipped that he couldn't care less about loyalty levels, all he wanted was for his food to be hot when it was put in front of him.

But with a sense of the inevitable, may I suggest obsidian level? A nice black card, laser cut and etched from cooled black lava and embellished with iridium lettering. As all metallurgists will know, iridium is rarer and more valuable than any of the supposed "precious" metals that end up in the exhaust system of your car.

At a cursory glance, the obsidian card would look like the famed, coveted Amex Black card. You could show it to your butler when he delivers afternoon tea to your club balcony cabin.

I agree. I never know what level anyone is unless we're invited to the same World Club party or I see their card as it's flashed into the Grill's slot in the lift.

Let any well deserved perks of many, many hundreds of days at sea be a quietly acknowledged achievement through dint of possible Captain's dinner invitation, free wifi and laundry, freedom of the 'pay for' restaurants if desired and the highest upgrade possible, again, if desired.

Go on then, a Black Bonus card too but no butler. There are some perks which have to remain a privilege of the grade travelled in.

A level above diamond, imo, would serve no purpose. If it was called it by whatever name, in a few years we will discussing a level above that. The last Cunard cruise I did, there were still lots and lots of red cards being used to buy things, it is probably only on here we are at or near diamond level

Edited by ovccruiser

Please tell me that nobody really cares........it is just a loyalty card...I have a Nectar card, Boots card, do these count??? Cruising on Cunard is lovely that is all there is to it the extras are fine but what really matters is an enjoyable cruise.

Please tell me that nobody really cares........it is just a loyalty card...I have a Nectar card, Boots card, do these count??? Cruising on Cunard is lovely that is all there is to it the extras are fine but what really matters is an enjoyable cruise.

Well, they care about clotted flaming cream so why not loyalty cards? :D:D

J

Well I was hoping that people were joking about the 'status' thing. What does it matter how many times you have been on a ship? I am a newbie so maybe it has bypassed me.

Actually, I think that if anything substantive at all has come out of this thread it is that, by and large, people on Cunard generally don't care about it. You should take a swing by some of the other boards and you would, I would dare to suggest, be totally gobsmacked at the seriousness of the discussions on this very topic. Not only that, but you would be amazed, horrified, and depressed in equal measure by the sense of entitlement that some of the protagonists clearly harbour in their loyal little bosoms.

J

Actually, I think that if anything substantive at all has come out of this thread it is that, by and large, people on Cunard generally don't care about it. You should take a swing by some of the other boards and you would, I would dare to suggest, be totally gobsmacked at the seriousness of the discussions on this very topic. Not only that, but you would be amazed, horrified, and depressed in equal measure by the sense of entitlement that some of the protagonists clearly harbour in their loyal little bosoms.

J

Princess certainly fits that profile.:eek:

J

Yes you are right I have not really ventured off the Cunard threads. However I went onto the Australia and New Zealand part of the board and found ageism alive and well. It will be nice to have the extras free wifi being one but I think it is immensely sad to attribute anymore than that really.