Anyone hear about cutting prices fos solo person?

Rhino Dave

Then, Rhino, the world is your oyster! Speaking of RCCL, I am one cruise from diamond and have a future cruise deposit, but they so rarely do anything for solos. Sad, really. Can u treat me for depression?[emoji40]

Then, Rhino, the world is your oyster! Speaking of RCCL, I am one cruise from diamond and have a future cruise deposit, but they so rarely do anything for solos. Sad, really. Can u treat me for depression?[emoji40]

Yes I can try. Tell me your symptoms. Lol. Sleeping issues? Eating issues? Esteem issues ?

Are you going to try Anthem of the Seas? I from local to those as well (south NJ) and will likely for now just stick to sailing from NYC or eve NJ. typically for NCL I just go up to NYC the night before.

I was considering the Escape this year, 12/12 would be the best date for me but like to head to miami 2 days in advance, and it ends up being too much time off earlier. Plus, I have been to Nassau on 3 of my last 4 cruises and am not interested in being there.

An advantage to Bayonne for me would be some good transportation options for me to get there.

I looked at Anthem, but the cruises are longer than 7 days I believe, and I rarely have off that long. I def prefer newer ships and would need a compelling reason to cruise older ships. As a NYer, I, too, would consider NJ, but this Dec will be the first time I cruise from NY. Don't like to waste days in the cold.

Yes, first NYC cruise! First northeast cruise! When I cruise, I'm escaping the cold weather, so I typically fly south. I'm one trip from diamond on RCCL, which I realized yesterday, I still have a FCC from my last trip that I must use. But, since the studio concept, I've been using NCL. I did look at the newer RCCL ships for Feb 2016, when I'll have a roommate, but NCL won in the price category. Add to that that I have a great PCC who's now upgraded me twice to balconies, and I bought 100 shares for the OBC shareholder perk, and I'm kinda stuck! For my Dec BA trip, I'm planning on taking Metro North train to Grand Central and hopping a cab. How do you get to the NYC port? Is there parking in NJ? How much? Thanks! PS....did u say you're booked on the Escape?

For NYC typically I stay at a comfort inn on 44th and 9th- which is a two block walk from the Port Authority. So I end up dragging my bags to the hotel and then I take a cab to the ship at 48th and 12th about.

Note, if you take a cab from Grand Central which is around 45th you can just head down 48th I believe and walk accross the street (plenty of people doing so, there are police) and then you can take a large elevator with others up to the 2nd floor to give the porters your bags.

I haven't booked the Escape and likely won't- I just saw the Anthem dates for next year and am going to likely do a 9 night one in June. If I go this year I'll do the Breakaway in October

I can walk to the port from GC? I only bring carry on, so I don't have much to drag. Would love to join you, but I don't have 9 consecutive days off[emoji81][emoji80]

You would still need a cab from GC- it would be not possible to do congestion, and the length. I think RCCL bookings start tomorrow, how much is the deposit usually?

However, i really think I am going with the Breakaway again- I just happen to like it

I'm doing anthem for the february midwinter break-- I reserved a solo balcony for around $1700. 8 days.

Hi- thanks for posting- I went back and realized I failed to search under balcony- it gave a $1,700 price as well + $200 port fees- I wouldn't need a hotel in NYC and for the 2 extra nights it seems to be a good deal.

Am I better off picking dynamic dining if I choose this ship I wonder? I have not been on RCCL in 21 years.

Am I better off picking dynamic dining if I choose this ship I wonder? I have not been on RCCL in 21 years.

I did. Then I went in and did four nights specialty restaurants and the rest comp. But I made reservations already. I need to print them in case they "disappear" as others have seen on quantum n

• 4 weeks later...
Often more expensive than booking an interior - more room so why book a studio?

Depends on the sailing - most times the studio is way cheaper for 1 person than regular inside and few times the inside is cheaper because of the demand (or lack of). There's also the fringe benefit of the studio lounge (free expresso / juice, don't need to go the buffet / MDR for breakfast / snacks) that the regular inside doesn't have access to for majority of the day except during the schedule solo meet.

edit: That and the studio beds are genuine queen-sized beds, not 2 twins with put together with a bedsheet. And the room setup is made for one person especially the storage, while the regular interior is not 'storage-friendly' for even 2 people...IMO

Edited by maywell

I think some people are seeing the word studio and assuming people are talking about Norwegian ships. Yes,it's usually cheaper to book those than insides,although I have seen insides slightly cheaper.

Studios cabins are also offered on Royal Caribbean and quite often they are significantly higher than regular insides.

I've done at least six solo cruises, RhinoDave, and it gets easier and more pleasurable each time. I feel like my 12 day med cruise was not a solo cruise. I chatted with another widow on CC roll call, and we met the evening before boarding in Barcelona. We then asked RCCL to seat us together, and then Annette found another CC couple with 2 empty seats at their table. On an Epic solo cruise, I went into the lounge in day 1 looking for folks who wanted to try the speciality restaurants, and we formed an eclectic group of five and tried them all! Three weeks ago, on the Getaway, I went to the solo gathering once, but chose to dine in the specialities and not with the group......as a final note, the most I've ever paid for a room is 150% and now have a great PCC with NCL who managed to upgrade my studio to a large, midship aft balcony! Let me know if I can be of help! Next solo cruise, Dec 27 on the NCL Breakaway!

I'm a diamond plus on RCL and getting a little tired of no breaks for singles so thinking of switching loyalty. Any recommendations or tips you could offer about NCL (i.e. booking early, names of ships with solo rooms etc. would be greatly appreciated.!!

Empress, the link posted above is good. What I do is start with a studio cabin, which I actually like. I work with a specific PCC at NCL, and on my last two cruises, I've gotten price drops and balconies! I attend the first solo gathering, ask if anyone is interested in the speciality restaurants ( I no longer do MDR) and go from there. You can get in the lounge by going to guest services and getting your card re keyed if u get upgraded.