Birthday cake: yes or no, dining room or cabin?

DiveLady

There are 5 of us on the Brilliance of the Seas for my mother's birthday, Feb. 2. First cruise!

I asked my travel agent if I could order a cake. She emailed me back a yes, but, since, we are on Anytime Dining, I'd have to order it for the cabin. I visited the link she sent me, and it says I can order it for either the dining room or the cabin, but it had no restrictions on dining options.

My intention was to order it for the formal night on Feb. 1, since she will be spending her birthday on Cozumel. I had imagined ordering the cake for that evening at dinner, giving a waitstaff member notice that our party was there, and then there would be a nice presentation and birthday song.

Does anyone know if it is possible to order a cake for the dining room even if we have My Time Dining?

Has anyone ordered one of their special occasion cakes?

And, after viewing other options, like chocolate covered strawberries or truffles for cabin delivery, I'm wondering if that would be better, since there will be other desserts from the menu. That way, Mom can enjoy her truffles whenever she'd like.

And, if I do not order a cake for after dinner, is it OK to mention to our server that it is her birthday? Would they put a candle in her choice of dessert, or would they get offended if we asked?

Thank you for your time to read.

There are 5 of us on the Brilliance of the Seas for my mother's birthday, Feb. 2. First cruise!

I asked my travel agent if I could order a cake. She emailed me back a yes, but, since, we are on Anytime Dining, I'd have to order it for the cabin. I visited the link she sent me, and it says I can order it for either the dining room or the cabin, but it had no restrictions on dining options.

My intention was to order it for the formal night on Feb. 1, since she will be spending her birthday on Cozumel. I had imagined ordering the cake for that evening at dinner, giving a waitstaff member notice that our party was there, and then there would be a nice presentation and birthday song.

Does anyone know if it is possible to order a cake for the dining room even if we have My Time Dining?

Thank you for your time to read.

I have ordered the vanilla bon voyage cake multiple times ( probably 5 times )

it is very good (in my opinion) I have not every tried to have it delivered to the MDR always had it delivered to the room. But I would bet if you talk to the maître de on the first night that you could arrange it no problem.

Has anyone ordered one of their special occasion cakes?

And, after viewing other options, like chocolate covered strawberries or truffles for cabin delivery, I'm wondering if that would be better, since there will be other desserts from the menu. That way, Mom can enjoy her truffles whenever she'd like.

And, if I do not order a cake for after dinner, is it OK to mention to our server that it is her birthday? Would they put a candle in her choice of dessert, or would they get offended if we asked?

The cake is fine....sharing is more fun than in the cabin...but that's up to you!

That's what I thought. I'm wondering how all of us could slice and serve a cake comfortably in an interior room. And, where would she put the leftovers? Would there be something to wrap it so it doesn't get stale? These are just questions floating around in my mind.

However, she does like cake. Yet, our main goal is to make her feel extra special.

Thank you!

I would order the cake to the dining room, and just confirm the particulars once you are onboard. You can have it for dessert and take the leftovers to the cabin. I'm sure they will give you forks and plates to go.

The staff are very eager to please you. We have never been told "no" to a reasonable request; all of which you have mentioned is certainly reasonable. Don't worry about it! :)

Have a great cruise.

Truth and Dragon, thank you for your insight. This may sound like a silly question, but do they provide a way to wrap the rest of the cake to have another time without it getting stale, or using space on the vanity?

Mom loves vanilla cake, but she would not like applying her makeup at the vanity with food next to her.

I would order the cake to the dining room, and just confirm the particulars once you are onboard. You can have it for dessert and take the leftovers to the cabin. I'm sure they will give you forks and plates to go.

The staff are very eager to please you. We have never been told "no" to a reasonable request; all of which you have mentioned is certainly reasonable. Don't worry about it! :)

Have a great cruise.

Thank you for your insight.

I did the Vanilla Cake for my wife's Birthday last year. Her BDay was embarkation day, ordered cake to be delivered in the dining room, early seating. As soon as we got to the stateroom it was already in it, with two plates and rolls of silverware.

We carried the cake to the dining room, and EVERYONE wished her a happy bday. We shared the cake with table mates, then took it back to the room. Our waiters brought out bowls of chocolate ice cream and helped serve it. They did sing to here night one, and as we passed ours and other stewards in the hall, everyone wished her a happy bDay. It was on a cake plate with a snap on plastic cover to keep it from going stale.

For the next few days if we ate a piece, the next time we came back to the room, our steward replaced the two clean plates and silverware.

It's good cake, a little pricy, but you are on a cruise! Live it up! We are going again this year right before Christmas, her BDay is on the second day of the cruise, and I'll do the cake again.

Edited by N41EF

Truth and Dragon, thank you for your insight. This may sound like a silly question, but do they provide a way to wrap the rest of the cake to have another time without it getting stale, or using space on the vanity?

Mom loves vanilla cake, but she would not like applying her makeup at the vanity with food next to her.

It came with a cover/ lid that snapped on. I did like the other poster said. Many times I keep it in the room for 3 days and have some each day..

I did the Vanilla Cake for my wife's Birthday last year. Her BDay was embarkation day, ordered cake to be delivered in the dining room, early seating. As soon as we got to the stateroom it was already in it, with two plates and rolls of silverware.

We carried the cake to the dining room, and EVERYONE wished her a happy bday. We shared the cake with table mates, then took it back to the room. Our waiters brought out bowls of chocolate ice cream and helped serve it. They did sing to here night one, and as we passed ours and other stewards in the hall, everyone wished her a happy bDay. It was on a cake plate with a snap on plastic cover to keep it from going stale.

For the next few days if we ate a piece, the next time we came back to the room, our steward replaced the two clean plates and silverware.

It's good cake, a little pricy, but you are on a cruise! Live it up! We are going again this year right before Christmas, her BDay is on the second day of the cruise, and I'll do the cake again.

Thank you very much. It's nice to know both my mom and your wife will get the service and birthday wishes they deserve.

I was actually surprised an 8 slice cake is under 17.00 usd.

Very happy there is a lid. I imagined a bakery box or just a plate, and, I never thought of the option of bringing the cake into the dining room.

The cakes are tasty! We've had chocolate and vanilla and have ordered them several times as we seem to cruise over Father's Day and my son's birthday a lot.

We've had several cake snafus over the years, including bringing it to the cabin instead of the dining room, bringing it out for dessert on the wrong night and my favorite - the "Happy Father's Day" cake that appeared in our cabin with the wrong phrasing - not only did it not say Happy Fathers Day, they misspelled Congratulations. Ahh . . . best laid plans and all that. It still tasted great! So, don't worry too much about where to have it appear, because if you are our family, there's only about a 50% chance of that actually happening! I don't mean this in a negative way - we'll be ordering another one this year (because we cruise over my son's birthday again)

20150625_203343_zpsqldledtt.jpg

We ordered the chocolate cake in Chops for our granddaughter 21st birthday on Navigator last month It was very good and well worth the $15 + gratuity price. As for getting it in the MDR on MTD, just talk to the maître d' or headwaiter. This may work better if you have your dinner time reserved in advance. We did Chops on the embarkation night, and I arranged it that afternoon when we boarded. They will give you the unfinished portion of the cake in a plastic tray and cover to take back to the stateroom. Ours was still very fresh even five days later.

We had it delivered to the MDR. the waiter cut a piece for each person on the table. [8] There were about 3 pieces worth of cake left over.

It was easy to keep the leftover. It had a clear plastic snap on bubble top. It kept it fresh and we got 2 napkin/silverware bundles the next morning in the WJ to use later.

I pre-ordered a cake last month on the FOS and we were on MTD. I was concerned, since the cake was for embarkation day but, everything went fine. We had reservations for dinner and when we arrived at our table, I could see the cake on the serving station. The staff was fully in the know about DD's birthday (it was noted in reservation) and that the cake was ordered.

My only complaint, was that I could see the cake on the counter, and so could my DD, so it wasn't a surprise when they brought it over.

I think it was a nice touch to have a special cake, rather than just a slice for the birthday girl. And there is nothing stopping anyone from having cake and ordering a dessert.

We are only3 people, and DH doesn't eat cake, so there was lots left over. We brought it back to the cabin, with a cover on it, and ate it over the next few days. The room steward replaced our plates and cutlery.

The cakes are tasty! We've had chocolate and vanilla and have ordered them several times as we seem to cruise over Father's Day and my son's birthday a lot.

We've had several cake snafus over the years, including bringing it to the cabin instead of the dining room, bringing it out for dessert on the wrong night and my favorite - the "Happy Father's Day" cake that appeared in our cabin with the wrong phrasing - not only did it not say Happy Fathers Day, they misspelled Congratulations. Ahh . . . best laid plans and all that. It still tasted great! So, don't worry too much about where to have it appear, because if you are our family, there's only about a 50% chance of that actually happening! I don't mean this in a negative way - we'll be ordering another one this year (because we cruise over my son's birthday again)

20150625_203343_zpsqldledtt.jpg

Thanks for sharing the story and that hysterical photo. I guess there are no copy editors in the RCI galleys. :)

I highly recommend the cake! I've ordered one on every cruise so far - and will continue to get them. I love both flavours (Chocolate and Vanilla). It's moist, flavourful, and very nice for a late night snack.

The room steward replaces the silverware/plates and napkins daily (which all came with the cake). As mentioned, it has a snap on high-dome lid which does a great job keeping the cash fresh. Ours lasted the whole week (for 2 people).