If no HC cabin is available how do you adapt a regular cabin?

Travel_World

Because of the shortage of HC cabins on a ship I have had to book a regular cabin to be able to sail on the cruise that we wanted. My husband uses a wheelchair but can walk short distances with a walker and climb one or 2 steps.

I was wondering what people do to make a regular cabin work for them and what are some of the difficulties encountered?

An example of one of our difficulties is bathing. We have twice had cabins with bath tubs. Getting into the tub was very hard, but we managed to do it. The main problem was no grab bars to hold onto while showering. At home we use suction cup grab bars and I found some smaller ones in a travel catalog. Next time we can't get a HC cabin I am prepaired to bring these.

Because of the shortage of HC cabins on a ship I have had to book a regular cabin to be able to sail on the cruise that we wanted. My husband uses a wheelchair but can walk short distances with a walker and climb one or 2 steps.

I was wondering what people do to make a regular cabin work for them and what are some of the difficulties encountered?

An example of one of our difficulties is bathing. We have twice had cabins with bath tubs. Getting into the tub was very hard, but we managed to do it. The main problem was no grab bars to hold onto while showering. At home we use suction cup grab bars and I found some smaller ones in a travel catalog. Next time we can't get a HC cabin I am prepaired to bring these.

Is the wheelchair a standard foldable/collapsable type ? If not the first issue will be getting the wheelchair into the cabin as there's no way to modify the door openning.

The next issue will be if he has to use the wheelchair in the cabin. There will be little to no room to manuver. If you're in a standard outside or inside cabin you'll have more floor space if the beds are arranged as twins and the coffee table is squeeze in between the the end of the sofa and bed.

Bathroom

There will be a step up into the bathroom. No way to modify

You can contact the Special Needs Department and request a shower/tub stool. This is offered free of charge on a first come first served basis.

Grab bars you'll have to plan on bring you're own suctioned ones.

Sorry, I can't be of help. If I can't get an accessible cabin, I can't go. Simple as that. I cannot step up or over, can't stand for more than a few seconds (enough to transfer from chair to chair). I wouldn't be able to get through the door of an ordinary cabin, and once inside, couldn't move.

We are lucky that DS and my Mom both have some mobility. I fold the wheelchair at the door and stow it against the wall. He does not need it for the cabin. My Mom's scooter just fits thru door and although takes up a lot of space, the grandkids just use it as another seat. I plan to ask for a shower seat for them and we can share it between the cabins. we will go as long as we can without a HC cabin so others might have a chance to enjoy a comfortable cruise. Hope we don't need one for a looooog time. It has occured to me that it would be nice if HC cabins were left over maybe they could offer them to the mildly handicapped before the AB? If I knew that another HC person did not need it, we could use it.

I have used shower chairs in the following manner in hotels and I think it would also work in a cabin with a tub. You cannot be modest to do this as you need help for it to work and you have to be naked. First I put the chair outside the tub and sit down. If you can do it yourself put the leg closest to the tub into the tub. If you can't do it then ask your helper to place your leg in the tub. Stand up, note that one leg is in the tub and one is on the floor. Have your helper move the chair into the tub. Sit down on the chair and move the other leg into the tub. I reverse this when getting out but with even greater care to avoid slipping on the wet floor.

I think this works for me since I am very tall. I think it would be much harder if my legs were shorter as they might not both reach the floor/bottom of the tub at the same time and I absolutely cannot stand using only one leg.

I believe RC can also provide raised toilet seats for non-HC cabins. I don't mean to be indelicate, but if your husband has trouble getting up after an extended sitting, the raised seat could be handy. I know some of them come with bars to help pull up, but I don't know what type RC provides.

BTW, in my opinion those suction cup grab bars aren't safe. My mom had some in her tub for a while. One came loose while she was using it for balance, causing her to fall. Fortunately she was not seriously injured. If you use those, make sure to check the seal each time before you use them. Getting a cabin with a shower and requesting a shower chair would be better.

We used to have those suction cup grab bars at home too and found them quite unreliable, please be careful.

I think it's very sad that there are so few HC cabins on the ships. We've never been able to get one, so that rules out taking my husband's standard scooter with him. To get around that, we bought our own travel scooter that is narrow enough to fit thru the doors of a regular cabin. We only cruise in a minisuite (Princess) as there simply is not enough space in a regular cabin for a scooter, sequal oxygen system, and both of us.

I'm glad we found a solution for us that work and allows others who can't modify their situation to take advantage of the few HC cabins that are available. But it wasn't/isn't cheap to do it that way.

It also makes me sad at the passengers who complain about people on scooters as though they were a means of luxury transportation instead of a necessity. I mean, it's a GoGo Elite, not a Harley. :cool: My husband couldn't cruise with one.

You are correct about the suction cups loosing their grip. We have been using them 2 years at home and they came loose once, so now I check them frequently. The surface they are attached to makes a difference. My husband uses them for balance and doesn't pull on them so maybe that is something each person needs to consider. I just don't know another way to make the tub/shower in a regular cabin work without them. One thing we did learn is to take a shower in calm waters or at port.

As for a shower chair. On our 2nd cruise in a regular cabin we had a balcony room on Celebrety Millenium. I requested a shower chair and was not happy with what I got. It was an outdoor small patio table made of plastic. Like you would put next to a chair. My husband is not a large person, but I was concerned that the legs would break. It also did not sit in the tub very well so we did not use it. I learned to ask what the shower chair looks like from then on.

Make sure and get a seat for the shower. Your room steward will get you one but I would request one in advance. It may be a tight fit but better than nothing.

I also do not like the suction cup grab bars. Some people swear by them but I find them to be unreliable.

Also, if there is unneeded furniture in the cabin have the room steward remove it. Once we had a handicapped cabin but it was very small. We had all the furniture removed except for the beds and TV. Unfortunate, but required.

Have a great cruise.

No accessible cabin = no cruise for us. My mother can no longer walk or stand, and we must use both a power and manual wheelchair, mobile lift, and rolling shower/commode chair. There is no way we can handle a 6" step into the bathroom or a tub, narrow doorways, or extremely limited floor space of a regular cabin (even a suite).

Read the small print on those suction cup grab bars. They clearly state they should not be used for full weight bearing, and only with caution for partial weight bearing.

Does anyone know where we can get information about the size of a cabin's door?

I know when I speak to reservation agents they do not have this information. I suppose I need to contact each cruiseline's special services department.

Holland America posts their door widths on the website. I haven't found any other cruiselines that do.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Shipboard+Life&contentMenu=Accessible+Cruising

Click on "Stateroom Information".

Two years ago, I had an accident on a shore excursion. I tripped over a small step and suffered a compound fracture to my ankle. I was fortunate to be able to re-board the ship after surgery and a 3-day hospital stay. I began the cruise in a quad cabin with my parents and sister, but when I re-boarded, NCL put my sister and me in a second cabin. Here's how I managed: I was sold crutches at the hospital, but I was not allowed to put any weight at all on my ankle and I was very unsteady on the crutches. NCL loaned me a wheelchair for the duration of the cruise. It didn't fit through the cabin door unfolded, so we would stop outside the cabin, and I would use my crutches to get through the door and around the cabin. My sister would fold up the wheelchair and bring it inside after us.

I didn't know they might have shower stools. That would have been helpful. I had a temporary cast, so I couldn't go in the shower anyway. I just moved a cabin chair into the bathroom (covered with a towel) and gave myself a sponge bath. When I was done, my sister would come into the bathroom with me and stand in the shower. I would lean my head back into the shower area, and she would wash my hair for me. It wasn't easy, but we got through it. (In case anyone is wondering, yes, I'm female. ;) )

Does anyone know where we can get information about the size of a cabin's door?

I know when I speak to reservation agents they do not have this information. I suppose I need to contact each cruiseline's special services department.

Most have the information on their websites.

RCCL - http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/accessibleseas/accessibleStaterooms.do;jsessionid=0000blsd-d5VEMqozoXvikA67Gt:12hdhubrs

Carnival - http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/cruise_control/EMB_guest_specials_requirements.aspx?icid=CC_Footer_87

Celebrity - http://www.celebritycruises.com/whyceleb/heroSingleTxt.do;jsessionid=0000JbE4lwfkG1ubdgtChx2rVlo:12hdebebp?pagename=accessible_staterooms

HAl - http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Shipboard+Life&contentMenu=Accessible+Cruising

NCL - you have to call

As far as showers go, the fitness center locker room may have a "handicapped" shower for you. The problem will be that it will be the men's shower (or even the ladies shower). I occasionally do the ladies' shower with my mom and it is usually empty. Perhaps you can talk to the cruise line to see if you can be accommodated in some way for a quick shower. Folks will deal with it. It doesn't hurt to ask - nothing ventured, nothing gained. These showers have grab bars and seats just like a handicapped room.

on our first cruise we made the mistake of booking a suite only to find that the shower was over the bath, impossible for my husband, so strip down washes for 2 weeks! We have now been on 5 cruises, and always take grab rail and a shower mat in case of slippery shower cubicles floors . We also ask for a shower stool ( Ii have yet to track one down in the UK that is lightweight enough for the plane luggage allowance). Before booking, always call customer services to find out exactley what the non disabled cabin is like, for example , we are thinking of going on Marco Polo to the Baltic next summer and customer services advised us that there were no disabled friendly cabins available and that there was a 5 inch riser from the cabin to the bathroom on all other cabins .

I booked a hotel in Croatia this year and a few days before leaving we received a telephone from the travel agent call saying that the step up to the bathroom was 25cm high and did we mind being upgraded to another hotel that did have a disabled bathroom available. From experience, I have found most companies are very helpful if you can talk to them and spell out exactley what your infirmities are.

I have never had a HC cabin but my last cruise was in a HAL deluxe suite. I have some problems with getting up into the bathroom and into the bathtub. The suction cup bar grabs sounded like a good idea till I saw the post about the disclamer of not using it as full weight. So that will be out for me.

I started wondering if they would have some sort of solid stepping block to put in front of the tub to get in and out of? Matter of fact I am now thinking I will have my hubby make me one for our tub here at home because I would like to take a bath again!

I have never had a HC cabin but my last cruise was in a HAL deluxe suite. I have some problems with getting up into the bathroom and into the bathtub. The suction cup bar grabs sounded like a good idea till I saw the post about the disclamer of not using it as full weight. So that will be out for me.

I started wondering if they would have some sort of solid stepping block to put in front of the tub to get in and out of? Matter of fact I am now thinking I will have my hubby make me one for our tub here at home because I would like to take a bath again!

And just how would you get OUT of a wet slippery tub?? I'm not trying to be difficult, here..but the reality is, tubs may not be in your future anymore! :(

Have you thought about a tub seat? You could sit down on the seat in the tub and swing your legs over the tub lip. Then you could slide off the tub seat into the bottom of the tub. Hold the sides of the tub not the tub seat while lowering yourself. The tub seat might tip over if you put too much weight on one edge. Your husband could remove the seat for you while you bathed. You could reverse the process to get out. My mom is unable to walk or stand and uses this process when she wants a bath.

Most cruiselines keep a few tub seats for those who need them. You could give it a try.

Yeah...hubby and I have been trying to work that out. I hadn't been in our bathtub in years and finally this year I took an interest in it again because with my disability I needed the jaccuzzi part of out tub for therapy. We have tried it twice in the past couple months. Both times the problem I have most is getting my leg up and over the rim since I am short and I have PLS that effects my leg muscles. And worse part is getting back out after my muscles have relaxed to butter...lol. He usually has to get in the tub behind me and pull me up to my feet. (Yes the jacuzzi is big enough for 2 people).

I am just trying to figure out how to get into the shower tubs during the cruise a little easier. The sides are not as high as the one at home so thats a plus. Last year when we went I had to have my hubby help me into the shower and then he would wait in the cabin till I called and he would help me out. But it would be nice not having to bother him every time I wanted to take a shower. As my disease progresses it will be more difficult. I hope that it doesn't come down to having to shower in the spa in order to cruise. Either way...I am going on that cruise! Its my dream cruise!:D

Thanks Dee for the tip I will keep it in mind!

• 2 weeks later...

We cruise with a Service Dog and DH uses a wheelchair on an as needed basis.

In order to be sure to get that HC Cabin you MUST book your cruises months in advance. We booked our upcoming November cruise in January. We booked our September, 2011 cruise a few weeks ago.

I know that sometimes it's just not convenient but, it's the best way to guarantee that cabin. And, even then sometimes it doesn't always work!

Sometimes you'll find a great deal and take your chances. That's when the accommodations get really interesting. And, we get very creative. :p

If you ask the Hotel Manager [if you're in a standard cabin] for a ramp into the bathroom [rather than stepping up], they will find something for you. I know, we've done it. We also fold DH's wheelchair and I wheel it to the veranda or I call the Steward and he stashes it and, when we want to leave our cabin - a quick call to him and it's there in a flash.

The crew onboard are so anxious to please......they'll do anything they can to make your "dreams" come true!!!!! ;)

Archived