Learned lessons from past cruises for the newbies

jlmack269

I have learned a few things about what to take cruising each cruise.

1.I print out my luggage tags, fold and cover with clear packing tape. I purchased a small package of zip ties and use them to attach to any and all bags going on board.

2.I take a photo of my luggage ( in case my tape and zip tied tags get torn off).

3. I take a few small bungee cords to attach smaller bags to the top of my luggage. We always self debark and it makes the luggage easier to handle.

4. We spent the extra money to purchase luggage with the 4 spinner wheels, much easier to handle.

5.The next cruise will include a small door prop to hold the door open to hear debark instructions.

6. If you have a room with multiple people, you can add a bit of privacy by buying an expanding tension curtain rod and a cheap curtain. you can extend this over the hallway in the cabin. It works in a lot of the cabins that have an entrance with the storage on one side and the bathroom on the other.

7. You will not need beach towels, the ship provides them to use on board and on excursions.

Any other suggestions?

Wow! Great ideas!! One thing my wife did is create a personalized packing list for each of us on her computer. It can be modified as needed for longer or shorter cruises and climates.

We check off the items as they go into our suitcases, then the list goes in last to be used again when we pack up at the end of the cruise. It helps a lot.

Happy cruising!

I like spreadsheets. I know they are not for everyone, but I find them very helpful. I build one for each trip. I list each date, where we will be, when we arrive and/or depart. Where we will stay (if not on ship), plans for the day. This would include tour (ship or private) info. Who organized, when & where to meet & cost.

Shortly before leaving home. I add blank lines between each date and print it off. I use a magnet to attach it to the wall of our cabin and write in additional info as needed.

I like spreadsheets. I know they are not for everyone, but I find them very helpful. I build one for each trip. I list each date, where we will be, when we arrive and/or depart. Where we will stay (if not on ship), plans for the day. This would include tour (ship or private) info. Who organized, when & where to meet & cost.

Shortly before leaving home. I add blank lines between each date and print it off. I use a magnet to attach it to the wall of our cabin and write in additional info as needed.

Paul,

This sounds like a great idea. Do you have one that you can post to be used as a template?

Great ideas! Here are some others we've found really helpful on our cruises:

* Oversized portable clock (one you can see from anywhere in the room) (why, oh why, can't the cruise lines put clocks in the cabins?)

* Duct tape (always comes in handy!)

* Closet shoe organizer--this one only really works on Princess ships, which have huge closets. They're great for storing cables, flashlights, as well as shoes

* Walkie-talkies

* Yellow stickies--to keep notes on events you don't want to miss

* Water and coffee tumblers--I take drinks back from the buffet so I don't have to bother with room service

Hope this helps! - Musing About Cruising

Paul,

This sounds like a great idea. Do you have one that you can post to be used as a template?

Jim,

I am not sure why, but it won't let me upload one. Send me an email and I will send one to you.

pfingalls1 at aol dot com

Actually, taking a photo of your luggage is a great suggestion for anyone who checks their suitcases when they fly.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I'd never have thought of this! Great idea, I'm on it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

AHOY AGAIN SHIPMATES,

TWO SUGGESTIONS 1 ) Timex still makes the best watch for the price with the INDIGLO light for night use

2) My DW gave me the perfect present before one of our cruises, an inexpensive child's ROCKETSHIP clock that projects the time on the ceiling at any angle you set it at. Is electric but also has batteries. We always take a small multi-plug adapter (with NO surge protector) with short ext. cord so it can stay plugged in. We have used it on many HAL and Carnival cruises with no problems from the crew.

She found it in the toy department of Bed Bath n Beyond. SEA U AT SEA

Is electric but also has batteries. We always take a small multi-plug adapter (with NO surge protector) with short ext. cord so it can stay plugged in. We have used it on many HAL and Carnival cruises with no problems from the crew.

She found it in the toy department of Bed Bath n Beyond. SEA U AT SEA

You're lucky that it also runs on battery power because ship's electricity cycles at different rates so an electric clock will not always keep proper time. A battery clock is always running on the same "speed" so there will be no time deviation.

One thing I have realized over the times I have cruised is that the ships staterooms do not have clocks. I am one of those people who really like to know what time it is when I sleep, so I put an app on my iPad that is an alarm clock type app. It shows up on the screen like a digital alarm clock and glows bright enough you can see it from across the room. I like that. It also helps with the rooms being so dark at night. Even in a balcony room they are dark if you have the shades pulled.

I also bring a wrist watch and set it to ship time as soon as I embark!

I use my iPhone as a clock and a flashlight and an alarm and a kindle and a GPS.

I have terrible night vision so I like those little battery operated tea lights as a bathroom nightlight. Each one lasts about 5 to 7 nights.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Not just for cruises but the first picture on your cameras memory card should be your name and home address. Write it on a piece of paper and take a photo. You may not get a lost camera back but you may at least get the memory card.

you're lucky that it also runs on battery power because ship's electricity cycles at different rates so an electric clock will not always keep proper time. A battery clock is always running on the same "speed" so there will be no time deviation.

ahoy shipmate, good point!!!!!! Fortunately we''e too poor to afford foreign ships and all us ships are set for our standards.

Speaking of lights for an inside cabin. We have one of these little Coleman backpacking lanterns that I put in the bathroom. It's about 6 inches high and 1 1/2 inches in diameter.

5319-700_500.jpg

Someone mentioned the battery tea lights. I agree with this!! It offers enough glow to leave burning all night in the bathroom and you can see without blinding yourself. They are so light and take no space, and they are so inexpensive. I think I got my last ones at a dollar store 2 in a packet.

Not just for cruises but the first picture on your cameras memory card should be your name and home address. Write it on a piece of paper and take a photo. You may not get a lost camera back but you may at least get the memory card.

I saw this hint about some four or five years ago and did this on the first shot taken with a memory card. Since my camera takes regular AA batteries, that's an extra nicety -- if my camera gets lost and found by a nice person, they'll be able to see that info even if the camera loses juice.

I have learned a few things about what to take cruising each cruise.

5.The next cruise will include a small door prop to hold the door open to hear debark instructions.

Any other suggestions?

Most cruise lines will want you out of your cabin. In fact on Princess, they do "silent disembarkation" at which the announcement for each group will be given only in the lounge where that group was asked to wait.

As for the person who mentioned walkie talkies....these don't often work on board, are not allowed in some ports, are a pain for other passengers when they hear that squawking, and really aren't necessary at all. Use post its or a small dry erase board on your cabin door or inside your cabin. Have a time and location for your group to meet up. Maybe even give up the idea of being "tied at the hip" to others. Many times you'll run into your cabinmates or family on board even when not looking for them.

One piece of advice I give is to always get to your embarkation port at least a day ahead, especially if flying or taking a train. Too many things can happen to flights (delays, cancellations). And don't try to take too early of a flight after your cruise.

Also don't try to do everything whether on board or in port. Part of the joy of going on a cruise is being able to relax.