St Petersburg - Folklore show

Bakgat

Can anyone recommend the Folklore show in Nikolaevsky Palace? Is it very touristy? Is it perhaps better to remain on board for the evening - does RC provide Russian dance entertainment for the evening on board in St Petersburg? Thanks.

Can anyone recommend the Folklore show in Nikolaevsky Palace? Is it very touristy? Is it perhaps better to remain on board for the evening - does RC provide Russian dance entertainment for the evening on board in St Petersburg? Thanks.

Most of the independent tour companies, also are able to secure tickets to the Russian Folklore show. We did not partake in this, as we felt we did not want to come in late, miss a chance to relax, before setting out on another long day, the following day. That said, there were a few couples, from our tour group, that did go, and loved it. I have never heard one person who went, say that it was a waste of time, money or whatever. Everyone seems to enjoyed it very much.

We sailed NCL, and when we returned to the ship after touring the 2nd day, they had a Russian folk dance group on board to do a sort of afternoon show, as the troupe had to be off before we sailed. The show was very good and very well attended.

Here are a few pix of that show

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1000.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1002.jpg

And a short video

http://s834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/?action=view&current=europemaster1057.mp4

Cheers

Len

Thanks Len, we are like the OP, wondering if we should go or if we need to rest as we will also be in the middle of a pretty full two day tour with

SPB tours. Good to hear everyone enjoyed it. I wonder if HAL has anything like NCL does with the dancers on the ship.

Kirk

Is it touristy? Yes as its presented for tourists (you will not find Russians going to this show). Is it worth it? That is a personal choice but it does offer a chance to see some decent Russian dances.

Hank

We booked the early show as an add-on to our custom 2-day tour with SPB. We arrived at the theatre totally exhausted, but once the show began became rejuvenated. I wouldn't describe it as 'touristy' because that word is sometimes equated with 'tacky'- this show is a well-done production.

What I loved most about the Folklore show was how the dancers transcended language barriers through their expressions and actions without ever speaking a word. Most of the audience with us that evening were from Spain and from their reaction it seemed they enjoyed it immensely as well.

The costuming and energy was excellent. There were vendors at the Palace with quality merchandise and good prices so I would suggest having cash with you if you are interested in purchasing Russian souvenirs. Even the light buffet, which included caviar and wine, was a pleasant surprise!

This was one of the highlights of our time in St. Petersburg. I recommend including it in your itinerary.

On the Jewel this past August great folkloric Russian Military Dance and Song Ensemble group did a show at 7:45pm one show only on our first night in St. Petersburg....Was not that well attended due to so many having evening excursions planned...But those of us that went....Loved it !!!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived