First South American Cruise

bunzini

We are looking to take a South American cruise next year. I am having a hard time knowing where to start to look. I would love to know others opinions of which are the best ports to look for and what months are better to travel in (although I believe they are mostly winter cruises). I can figure out which ship from there. Also, is it pretty rough when rounding the Horn? I have seen cruises on both the eastern and western regions of South America. Honestly, I am open to most anything. We have been on many many cruises, but not South America. Any suggestions??

My "do not mss " port would be the Falkland Islands. Book Volunteer Point Penguin Tour with Patrick Watts. Early. It was the best iour I have EVER done.

We rounded the Horn in 2010 and while the weather and seas were a bit tumultuous I've been in worse on other cruises.

I was on the Star Princess in 2010 and we disembarked in Valparaiso right after the earthquake. Valparaiso was a wonderful city, wish we had been able to enjoy it more but we were working on obtaining bus travel over the Andes as there were no flights out of the airport. Quite an adventure, a great trip.

Just LOVE South America. This year doing a trans atlantic, from Rio, up the coast of brazil and then heding to Europe. Done Rio round the Horn and up the west coast as well s the other way round. The Horn can be rough or smooth, it´s pot luck really, also visiting the Falkands can be a bit hit and miss, depending on how the Argentian Government are feeling (because we visited the Island before entering Arg territory, they wouldn´t let us dock, but going to Arg 1st then Falk was OK.) also because of sea swell, weather generally and the size of ship, visiting Falklands is not 100% guaranteed.

Personally I was not impressed with any of the ports north of Valparaiso, although they were nice to see. Loved Rio, BA, Montevideo, Pto Montt was a nice surprise, when we missed the Falklands, Loved Ushauia, Chacabuco tour was better than I thought it might be, Valparaiso and Santiago were lovely, although port at Valparaiso ws chaotic (as was Rio)

Sandy in Spain

I would take a cruise that goes between Buenos Aires and Valparaiso.

I prefer starting in Buenos Aires as we like to spend a few days pre cruise so we don't fly in to close to the start of the voyage and we prefer Buenos Aires over Valparaiso/Santiago.

Find a cruise with a longer duration of days so you have more stops.

While the Falkland Islands are a great experience it is a tender stop and if it is very windy and the seas choppy you will not stop there so I would not base my decision on that stop.

If your voyage includes a couple of days sailing off of Antarctica that is an amazing experience and one of our highlights of not only his itinerary but also but all of the places we have sailed.

There are so many great places to see. Again, find a longer duration itinerary and it will include many terrific places.

Keith

My "do not mss " port would be the Falkland Islands. Book Volunteer Point Penguin Tour with Patrick Watts. Early. It was the best iour I have EVER done.

We rounded the Horn in 2010 and while the weather and seas were a bit tumultuous I've been in worse on other cruises.

I was on the Star Princess in 2010 and we disembarked in Valparaiso right after the earthquake. Valparaiso was a wonderful city, wish we had been able to enjoy it more but we were working on obtaining bus travel over the Andes as there were no flights out of the airport. Quite an adventure, a great trip.

I agree, we went earlier this year and it is fantastic.

Edited by KirkNC

Thanks for the link to your very good review.

We are planning an around the Horn cruise in January 2016 and are debating between Star Princess out of Rio or Celebrity Infinity out of Buenos Aires -- the one you took. There are at least 3 couples involved in this decision and we all have an interest in seeing Rio. But -- Star Princess has more sea days than port days over the same 14-night period. It does stop at Falklands, but only if weather conditions permit. Beyond that, while the standard balcony stateroom on Star Princess is a little less than an equivalent on Infinity as prices are going right now, Celebrity has the 123go promotion for the standard stateroom that makes up for the difference. Moreover, as Elite Captain's Club members we have additional benefits on Celebrity than on Princess, and Celebrity is also offering an all-inclusive 123Go if you spend about $600 more for a Concierge level stateroom. The combination of OBC, free grautuites, AND the drink package is really attractive.

Can anyone here provide any recommendations on which cruise to book, given the above considerations and anything you can add? We would like to make our decision in the next week or two.

Many thanks.

David

Thanks for the link to your very good review.

We are planning an around the Horn cruise in January 2016 and are debating between Star Princess out of Rio or Celebrity Infinity out of Buenos Aires -- the one you took. There are at least 3 couples involved in this decision and we all have an interest in seeing Rio. But -- Star Princess has more sea days than port days over the same 14-night period. It does stop at Falklands, but only if weather conditions permit. Beyond that, while the standard balcony stateroom on Star Princess is a little less than an equivalent on Infinity as prices are going right now, Celebrity has the 123go promotion for the standard stateroom that makes up for the difference. Moreover, as Elite Captain's Club members we have additional benefits on Celebrity than on Princess, and Celebrity is also offering an all-inclusive 123Go if you spend about $600 more for a Concierge level stateroom. The combination of OBC, free grautuites, AND the drink package is really attractive.

Can anyone here provide any recommendations on which cruise to book, given the above considerations and anything you can add? We would like to make our decision in the next week or two.

Many thanks.

David

I too appreciate the review. Thanks for sharing it. David, that is about the same time we would like to cruise as well. I will be watching for others' opinions on the cruises.

We've done Buenos Aires to Valpariso. Fly in to BA and give yourself two full days (3 nights) BA. Take a tour from Valpo to Santiago and spend at least one night in Santiago to see the sights.

Our trip around the Tierra del Fuego was like glass. The Chilean fjords were so beautiful it inspired us to go to Norway.

We can recommend Chile About for tour/transfer from Valpo to Santiago.

Count me as another person who would select the ship that is scheduled to stop at the Falklands -- one of the main highlights of the "Round the Horn" cruises. We were able to land at Port Stanley during one of our two trips from BA to Valpo. If we ever do a similar trip again, we would again select an itinerary with a scheduled stop in the Falklands, despite the fact (or perhaps because of the fact) that we missed getting there on one of the two previous trips, and want to see more of that remote area.

John

I would also go with the cruise that stops at the Falklands. The excursion with Patrick Watts was incredible - perhaps our best ever! However, there is no guarantee that you will stop there due to weather considerations.

DH & I did Rio pre-cruise this last winter and really enjoyed our time there. We made very good use of time by hiring a driver/guide for one day and were incredibly fortunate that it was a sunny and clear day (amazing for going to see the Christ statue).

Iguazu Falls was also a highlight for us. If you can work it into your plans it is very worthwhile.

• 1 month later...

Have now done two trips around South America and it is probably the best cruise I have ever taken.

We have gone around the horn twice, first time it was smooth as glass, second time it was very windy and we actually couldn't go around the horn and just went up the straight. But neither time was bad and have definately experienced worse sea conditions on other cruises/itineraries.

I have written about both South American trips in my blog, just click on the port you are interested in the label section on the right. Link to blog is in my signature.

We did all private excursions, and we had a GREAT time.

Wish we had another SA cruise planned.

Vickie

• 8 months later...
Have now done two trips around South America and it is probably the best cruise I have ever taken.

We have gone around the horn twice, first time it was smooth as glass, second time it was very windy and we actually couldn't go around the horn and just went up the straight. But neither time was bad and have definately experienced worse sea conditions on other cruises/itineraries.

I have written about both South American trips in my blog, just click on the port you are interested in the label section on the right. Link to blog is in my signature.

We did all private excursions, and we had a GREAT time.

Wish we had another SA cruise planned.

Vickie

Hi, Vickie! What time of year (which month) did you cruise Cape Horn?)

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
What year? very hard to find it with so many trips (lucky you)

yes we are truly blessed.

we did it the first time in Feb of 2012 Rio to SF then second time we did it from Fort Lauderdale to Los Angeles 49 days Feb 2014

You can just click on the port you are interested in the label area on the left. It will then bring up every blog mention about that port. Also you can do a search for items too - like chef's table etc.

Hope that helps

Hi I am new to cc, am doing a Sth America cruise next year and would like to know if it is safe to,do a small group private tour of Machu Picchu Pisco to Lima not the ships tours. Safe as in getting back to the ship on time as it would not wait for private tours. Anyone had problems?

Hi I am new to cc, am doing a Sth America cruise next year and would like to know if it is safe to,do a small group private tour of Machu Picchu Pisco to Lima not the ships tours. Safe as in getting back to the ship on time as it would not wait for private tours. Anyone had problems?

I haven't done this cruise nor have that excursion with that said I usually pick excursions that guarantee my return to the ship on time or transfer to the next port.

both times we did South America we knew of people who did Machu Picchu on their own.

One left the ship in Lima and returned when we docked in Costa Rica.

One left from Chile and met up with the ship in Lima.

Both couples paid more than half of what Princess was charging and it was twice as long.

I wouldn't worry too much about missing the ship. Often they dock overnight in Lima so plan for arriving the first day for a cushion.

Vickie

• 2 weeks later...

We've cruised Brazil twice, including the Amazon. I am now seriously looking into this:

14 Days Coastal Cruises

Norwegian Cruise Line • Norwegian Sun

Buenos Aires, Ilhabela, Rio de Janeiro, Buzios, Ilha do Maia, Santos, Punta del Este, Montevideo, Buenos Aires

1 departure date: Dec 23 2016

Inside from

$1659

$119 per day

OceanView from

$1959

$140 per day

Balcony from

$2939

$210 per day

Suite from

$4429