Back to back cruises

ShirleyThomson

I hope someone can help me. We are doing back to back cruises next April, the change over day is in Rome, we arrive at 8am and leave on the new cruise at 6pm. What time will we have to be back at the ship? I saw that we must check in 90mins before the cruise starts but will this apply with the second cruise or can we be a bit later getting back to the ship? We only have a short time in Rome and I want to see as much as we can.

I hope someone can help me. We are doing back to back cruises next April, the change over day is in Rome, we arrive at 8am and leave on the new cruise at 6pm. What time will we have to be back at the ship? I saw that we must check in 90mins before the cruise starts but will this apply with the second cruise or can we be a bit later getting back to the ship? We only have a short time in Rome and I want to see as much as we can.

As I recall from the back to back cruisers this year you have to be back at the last time for checking in, but some ports do vary. I would work on the basis of 90 minutes before.

I agree it depends on the country. but i come back 30 minutes before sail time and also more than an hour as i was done sightseeing .they say you need to be there for drill. there a make up one at 9 on most cruises. maybe that is only for late sailings. please check on ship.

Take into account that the port in Civitavecchia is not close to Rome and can take an hour drive at least if the traffic is moving well, if it is rush hour or an accident then who knows.

It can be done however as we use rome in limo each time we are there and if it is just a day ship excursion, they are real good about getting back to the ship on time.

Since it is a B2B, then you will already be checked in and should be able to board quickly...talk to the hotel director before your first cruise ends and get advice.

Enjoy Rome and your cruise!!!

Since you have flown a long way, I can certainly appreciate your desire to see as much as possible.

If I may, given the distance between Civitavecchia and Rome, I would suggest that you consider a reputable tour company such as RomeCabs to organize and prioritize your visit. Since they are very familar with the logistics of such a visit, they may provide the most efficient path to follow; for example, the best times to visit certain landmarks.

Cost being a factor, perhaps there are other B2Bers who may wish to share, although that may lead to some inevitable compromises.

Since Rome is a remarkable city, stuffed with amazing sights, I do hope that perhaps you can return some day for a cruise that embarks or ends at Civitavecchia. Thus you can add a visit to Rome itself and enjoy the city.

Have a great cruise!

Definitely, don't rely on the train, it will take too long just for the day, though we have done it. If you do, be sure on arrival at Roma Termini that you check with the ticket booth for the return trains. We picked up an 'old' timetable at the port which had the old schedule times. Had we not checked we'd have missed the train. It's quite a way from where the ship docks to the port gates and then to the station. We will be doing the same on a B2B in October 2017 and if we were to go into Rome it would be on a private car. We've spent a lot of time in Rome one way or another and will probably just stay onboard. I imagine they'd want you to do the Muster Drill, but there's always a change to do a make up one with prior arrangement.

The "all aboard" times vary from ship to ship, but 90 minutes sounds about right. And don't cut it too close--even if you have private transport, there's traffic to consider.

I would decide what you want to see in Rome, then decide on your mode of transport. You say you want to see as much as possible in one day, but you're going to have to pick and choose. Do some study and come up with a short list of "musts". Vatican Museum, Sistine Chapel and St. Peters? There's most of day right there. Colosseum and Roman Forum? Half day at least.

I think the Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps are overrated, but that's just me. You could skip the ancient, artistic and religious sites and just go to the bustling, walkable, shopping-centric area there and just spend the day. Or choose the Centro Storica area around Piazza Navona and Campo de' Fiore and do the same--enjoy the beautiful fountains, see some great churches, eat some gelato.

If you do decide that the Vatican is important, see if you can avoid Termini Station and get off at an earlier stop. I see nothing wrong with the train, btw, although I admit we had private transport both ways (shared.)

The important thing is to not try to see everything, but make a sensible selection based on your interests.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

If you want to see the Vatican Museum including the Sistine chapel, book a time online or you may end up in a half mile queue. Also for the Colosseum, as the queues there can be long. I think we paid about E12 each for a guided tour of both the Colosseum and the Forum.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app