Ft Lauderdale airport rental car

janpa70

We are planning on renting a car and driving to Ft. Lauderdale to get our cruise. Does anyone know how easy it would be to drop off the rental at the airport catch a taxi to the hotel and then after the cruise get back to the airport and rent a car.

Very easy depending, of course, on what hotel you choose. The Downtown/17th Street area of Fort Lauderdale has lots of hotels in lots of price ranges and a taxi from the airport should cost about $12-15+

Another $10-12 cab will get you to your ship the next day and a $15+ cab ride will get your from Port Everglades back to FLL.

www.sunny.org has lots of FLL area tourist and lodging info.

It's very easy. The only tough part can be the shuttles from the AP drop off to the port fill up on Sunday morning. Jumping in a cab is much easier. But you have to weigh free v. $25 plus tip.

Edited by trish1c

It's very easy. The only tough part can be the shuttles from the AP drop off to the port fill up on Sunday morning. Jumping in a cab is much easier. But you have to weigh free v. $25 plus tip.

$25 for a cab from FLL to PE - or was that for the limo? :confused: Typical cab fare is closer to $15.

$25 for a cab from FLL to PE - or was that for the limo? :confused: Typical cab fare is closer to $15.

I wasn't in the car. That is what my family told me. I was dropped off at the pier to wait for everybody else so only 2 people were running around.

My point remains: It's still easy & the only choice is do you want to wait for the free rental car shuttles or pay for a cab.

Your situation has so many options.

Round-trip shuttles to and from the port from the airport are provided for rentals with Alamo or National. A receipt or contract for rental is necessary to use the full size bus they offer.

There is a Budget Return right next to the Renaissance Hotel, Avis has a return in the Hyatt Pier 66 hotel and Hertz has a location at the Crown Plaza hotel. The Sixt location on 17th is near several hotels. These locations all offer shuttles from the port to their off-airport port locations including Thrifty/Dollar as well up on HWY 1 at the port exit.

What I sometimes do is stay at a hotel with free parking (or not) and then return the car the morning of my cruise. I drive over to the port and drop off my baggage and even sometimes travel companions and return the car to the Airport.

If returning to the airport a few hotels have airport shuttles to the hotel and offer paid shuttles ($10) to the port. If you are 2 or more though it is usually just as well to take a taxi.

But what car rental companies offer the free shuttle?

Sent from my LGLS990 using Forums mobile app

Alamo/National is the only one to airport.

All others offer shuttles to remote locations closer to the port on 17th ST. or HWY 1.

We are planning on renting a car and driving to Ft. Lauderdale to get our cruise. Does anyone know how easy it would be to drop off the rental at the airport catch a taxi to the hotel and then after the cruise get back to the airport and rent a car.

Call or otherwise contact Budget. Plan on using the 17th St. facility. Using the airport will add to your already sizeable drop-off fee.

I believe the 17th St facility has a shuttle to the ship....and back for your return trip.

There are several Budget BCD codes listed here on CC and I have always found a bunch on http://www.mousesavers.com.

Call or otherwise contact Budget. Plan on using the 17th St. facility. Using the airport will add to your already sizeable drop-off fee.

I believe the 17th St facility has a shuttle to the ship....and back for your return trip.

There are several Budget BCD codes listed here on CC and I have always found a bunch on http://www.mousesavers.com.

Thanks. Checked rates for end September beginning October and the big agencies are ridiculously priced. Found a car at EZ for $26 day and will pay for cabs and still be way ahead. Usually a month before rates come crashing down. Last year got rentals for $13 day with shuttles at MIA. You need to be patient;)

Just a caution.

I also placed a reservation for a September EZ rental because the rates are so favourable, but then I checked the reviews on Trip advisor and a few other sites, and there are simply too many warnings by people who rented and declined the extra insurance - who months later received bills for damage to the undercarriage. It sounds like they make their money selling you the unneeded insurance and if you are careful to decline - they may just later accuse you of damage that you did not do. There were numerous such complaints -- check the better business bureau reviews if you are uncertain.

I immediately cancelled my reservation with them. I will pay the higher rates of established companies.

Don

Just a caution.

I also placed a reservation for a September EZ rental because the rates are so favourable, but then I checked the reviews on Trip advisor and a few other sites, and there are simply too many warnings by people who rented and declined the extra insurance - who months later received bills for damage to the undercarriage. It sounds like they make their money selling you the unneeded insurance and if you are careful to decline - they may just later accuse you of damage that you did not do. There were numerous such complaints -- check the better business bureau reviews if you are uncertain.

I immediately cancelled my reservation with them. I will pay the higher rates of established companies.

Don

I have used EZ many times out of FLL. DH likes to take out the extra insurance and for $11 day the rate is still cheaper than the big companies. I like them at EZ and have recommended them to several people with no issue.

I use a big 'box membership store' website for most rentals now. They even give free extra driver. I have paid anywhere from $18 total for a full size to $45 for a minivan total including taxes and fees. It pays to check often. Sometimes rates are low 3 months out but I have even booked a few minutes prior to rental at a great rate.

I like that the rates always show all taxes and fees inclusive as those can be substantial at florida locations. My last mini van weekly was $193 for a one way rental with rate being $140 and taxes and fees $53.

At FLL usually the airport location Alamo is best, but they have good rates at Budget and Avis as well. I usually find for the port location of Budget I am best booking early, while airport prices can fall deeply day or week of rental.

• 1 month later...

My husband and I have cruised a couple of times in the past but we aren't professional cruisers :cool:. Once we fly in we usually take a cab strait to the port. This time our flight is getting in at 8:00am, so we will obviously have quite a bit of time on our hands before we can get on the boat. I was wondering if anyone has ever rented a car for the day from the airport and been able to drop it off at the port before they get on the ship?

Any company names and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.:)

My husband and I have cruised a couple of times in the past but we aren't professional cruisers :cool:. Once we fly in we usually take a cab strait to the port. This time our flight is getting in at 8:00am, so we will obviously have quite a bit of time on our hands before we can get on the boat. I was wondering if anyone has ever rented a car for the day from the airport and been able to drop it off at the port before they get on the ship?

Any company names and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.:)

Budget quoted me a rate of over $300. to do that. I opted to return the car to the airport and took a cab to the ship.