Current State of the Whisper

torst

Much has been written about the need for repair/refurbishment/refreshment of the Cloud and the Wind. What is the current state of the Whisper and are there any Dry Dock plans? We are scheduled to sail in October.

Seriously, you are worried?

What exactly are you worried about? A stain on the carpet? A clogged toilet?(Oh, wait, that was Holland America for me, must avoid them now.) Perhaps it is the decor that concerns you, you've moved on to the latest colour palette and the Whisper hasn't?

I doubt any of us are qualified to say whether or not the HVAC system is about to break down or that the engines are nearing the end of their duty hours and will need a refit.

She could be bashed into by a tramp steamer in Hong Kong (as the Spirit nearly was while I was on board and the Shadow was in Vietnam - if I recall the location properly.)

Have they fired the crew that allowed the anchor to get stuck off Bar Habour delaying our departure?

Seriously, there's a ton of stuff that could physically go wrong on a ship.

I do check out independent test results (not internet forums) of things like outbreaks of disease. And as such, am very happy I've chosen high-end cruise lines with small ships. Easier to control an outbreak. And I suspect the cleaning that is constantly done in the common areas contributes to fewer outbreaks of any source.

You can look at the age of the ship and decide if you only want new.

But apart from that, there is nothing I could say to you here that you won't learn by reading the trip reports. If the reports don't complain about something, I'm guessing, whatever it is you are concerned about isn't happening.

I am currently not booked on Silversea and may never be booked on them again. But that's not because of the state of the Whisper (physically, our cruise on her was good last year) but on the state of the management and the direction they are taking the company.

You say that you are worried about all that has been written about the Cloud and Wind. If Duct Tape points out a problem on the Cloud is she required to say "But the Whisper is fine!" or perhaps you can extrapolate that perhaps the fact that the Whisper doesn't have the same complaints as the other two, OLDER ships, there's no need to conclude it's a conspiracy betweeen CC SS regulars hiding a problem with Shadow/Whisper.

No news is good news.

And on the internet, bad reviews have to be consistent and many before I'll believe them because, in general, no-one goes online to say how great everything was. The people with great experiences go back to their regular lives and book another trip, saying as little as possible because otherwise the gem they've discovered will become popular and overrun.

Torst, I had a similar question based on a thread that goes back a few months regarding

potential dry dock for the Whisper. Several people did comment on the need for a refresh, but the thread ended with no conclusion. My travel agent passed along information

that it is done in 3 year cycles, with the next round 12/16. Don't know if it is accurate, but

passing it along with that caveat. I'm not sure why asking this question has garnered such

an almost hostile response but maybe this little tidbit will help. We are booked for this summer and are not overly concerned.

We were on the Amazon Cruise in November/ December. I thought the ship was in good shape. There were some carpet stains in the public areas. As far the air conditioning was concerned, it worked great on those 98F+ days.

Overall, I thought the Whisper was in better shape than the Cloud has been in the past.

Ouch !!!! That hurt ! Torst considering the tone of quite a few posts the last few months you ask a legitimate question. I'm Sailing on the whisper on 1/30, and although I've sailed on her in 2013 I wonder about the experience I will encounter. She appeared a little worn in 2014,but aside from that everything was great. I'm Optimistic that this cruise will be enjoyable as the last . I'll try and give an honest appraisal somewhere between 1/30 and 3/7.

Fortunately I am not easily bruised or broken and did learn to cope with bullying as a child!

Thank you for the thoughtful and honest answers. I have always enjoyed Silversea and will look forward to returning to the Whisper next fall.

Seriously, you are worried?

What exactly are you worried about? A stain on the carpet? A clogged toilet?(Oh, wait, that was Holland America for me, must avoid them now.) Perhaps it is the decor that concerns you, you've moved on to the latest colour palette and the Whisper hasn't?

I doubt any of us are qualified to say whether or not the HVAC system is about to break down or that the engines are nearing the end of their duty hours and will need a refit.

She could be bashed into by a tramp steamer in Hong Kong (as the Spirit nearly was while I was on board and the Shadow was in Vietnam - if I recall the location properly.)

Have they fired the crew that allowed the anchor to get stuck off Bar Habour delaying our departure?

Seriously, there's a ton of stuff that could physically go wrong on a ship.

I do check out independent test results (not internet forums) of things like outbreaks of disease. And as such, am very happy I've chosen high-end cruise lines with small ships. Easier to control an outbreak. And I suspect the cleaning that is constantly done in the common areas contributes to fewer outbreaks of any source.

You can look at the age of the ship and decide if you only want new.

But apart from that, there is nothing I could say to you here that you won't learn by reading the trip reports. If the reports don't complain about something, I'm guessing, whatever it is you are concerned about isn't happening.

I am currently not booked on Silversea and may never be booked on them again. But that's not because of the state of the Whisper (physically, our cruise on her was good last year) but on the state of the management and the direction they are taking the company.

You say that you are worried about all that has been written about the Cloud and Wind. If Duct Tape points out a problem on the Cloud is she required to say "But the Whisper is fine!" or perhaps you can extrapolate that perhaps the fact that the Whisper doesn't have the same complaints as the other two, OLDER ships, there's no need to conclude it's a conspiracy betweeen CC SS regulars hiding a problem with Shadow/Whisper.

No news is good news.

And on the internet, bad reviews have to be consistent and many before I'll believe them because, in general, no-one goes online to say how great everything was. The people with great experiences go back to their regular lives and book another trip, saying as little as possible because otherwise the gem they've discovered will become popular and overrun.

thank you for a rational reply to a simple question:eek:

Duct tape got it partly right. I got up on the wrong side of the bed this week. (Not really any better today.)

But the snark in my comment aside, I really want to know what specifically the OP is looking for in information.

I really felt in noting that no reply made him "really worried" that he felt we were all sweeping problems under the carpet and there was a cone of silence.

The ships are older. The Whisper is younger than the Cloud. Take from that information what you may. But rest assured the colours are dated, the furnishings are worn. As you'd expect on a ship that isn't brand new.

As I said before, the important things, mechanical - we knowledgeably can't comment on.

Service concerns abound all over this forum. I'd say I get a sense that service is slipping but that is across the board probably due to management.

Management concerns are very apparent. I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone here that honestly thinks the decisions made by management are in keeping with those who want to keep a luxury reputation.

A wide number of posters here are giving concrete examples of how the management's pressure has changed the level of service on the ships. At first it was just cutbacks in physically things (caviar, types of champagne, now champagne itself is being cut back, no fresh flowers in the cabin, and for me it is the lack of Neutrogena products unavailable on my last two cruises despite a detailed request from me and they were still advertising them as available.) Lately, the pressure from management seems to be causing a reduction in service as well. I can't really think of a concrete example but I get that impression from numerous reviews over Nov/Dec/Jan.

But none of that is solely a concern on the Whisper. And, as Duct Tape pointed out, as the ship they use for the World Cruise (with their highest spending clientele on board) it is safe to assume it is in the best condition.

So, I repeat, no persistent reports of physical problems means there aren't any. No news is good news.

Duct tape got it partly right. I got up on the wrong side of the bed this week. (Not really any better today.)

But the snark in my comment aside, I really want to know what specifically the OP is looking for in information.

I really felt in noting that no reply made him "really worried" that he felt we were all sweeping problems under the carpet and there was a cone of silence.

The ships are older. The Whisper is younger than the Cloud. Take from that information what you may. But rest assured the colours are dated, the furnishings are worn. As you'd expect on a ship that isn't brand new.

As I said before, the important things, mechanical - we knowledgeably can't comment on.

Service concerns abound all over this forum. I'd say I get a sense that service is slipping but that is across the board probably due to management.

Management concerns are very apparent. I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone here that honestly thinks the decisions made by management are in keeping with those who want to keep a luxury reputation.

A wide number of posters here are giving concrete examples of how the management's pressure has changed the level of service on the ships. At first it was just cutbacks in physically things (caviar, types of champagne, now champagne itself is being cut back, no fresh flowers in the cabin, and for me it is the lack of Neutrogena products unavailable on my last two cruises despite a detailed request from me and they were still advertising them as available.) Lately, the pressure from management seems to be causing a reduction in service as well. I can't really think of a concrete example but I get that impression from numerous reviews over Nov/Dec/Jan.

But none of that is solely a concern on the Whisper. And, as Duct Tape pointed out, as the ship they use for the World Cruise (with their highest spending clientele on board) it is safe to assume it is in the best condition.

So, I repeat, no persistent reports of physical problems means there aren't any. No news is good news.

Some of the comments I read on here really puzzle me. On our Silver Spirit cruise just last month we had a beautiful, large fresh orchid in our veranda suite. Also, Neutrogena was one of the three choices presented by our butler upon our arrival.

If I believed half of what is posted on Cruise Critic, I would never cruise on any line.

Some of the comments I read on here really puzzle me. On our Silver Spirit cruise just last month we had a beautiful, large fresh orchid in our veranda suite. Also, Neutrogena was one of the three choices presented by our butler upon our arrival.

I agree. We just disembarked the Spirit today in L.A. Crew and service were excellent. Upon boarding in FLL, there was a bottle of Heidseick Monopole blue top champagne in the suite fridge. We were offered Neutrogena. There was a large fresh orchid in the suite. Fresh fruit was placed in the suite each day, without asking. Canapes would be delivered to the suite by the butler each late afternoon if we wished. We were struck by how happy the crew and passengers seemed to be throughout the cruise.

I agree. We just disembarked the Spirit today in L.A. Crew and service were excellent. Upon boarding in FLL, there was a bottle of Heidseick Monopole blue top champagne in the suite fridge. We were offered Neutrogena. There was a large fresh orchid in the suite. Fresh fruit was placed in the suite each day, without asking. Canapes would be delivered to the suite by the butler each late afternoon if we wished. We were struck by how happy the crew and passengers seemed to be throughout the cruise.

Appreciate these details and comments from Wellseasoned, nfcu and others. On Sunday afternoon, we will be boarding the Silver Cloud in Barbados. Will do my own independent "checking and review" for this ship, Silversea, etc. On other cruise line boards, there are "questions" and concerns being expressed about these types of long-term cruise line policies and changes. PLUS, from our own limited, past sailings with Crystal, Celebrity and Silversea, we have experienced a few things over time that were not exactly or totally perfect. We observe those "details", but also try to judge the overall situation accordingly. If we get on the Cloud some of the "goodies" that were noted by Wellseasoned, that will be excellent for our interests. Most important, as we experienced in July 2010 on the Silver Cloud, a happy crew and passengers leads to many great memories and positive results.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 94,305 views for this posting.

Nice to hear some cruises have Neutrogena.

The first without it was my Cape Town to Barcelona. At least one container did not get loaded in Cape Town and my Neutrogena and champagne were apparently missing.

They drove hundreds of miles in Ghana and brought back champagne. Between open bottles (we are assuming taken from crew and given to me only when I commented two days in that I had a rash from the stuff they had left in my cabin and which I used to wash my hands) and my personal supply for before and after the cruise, I had enough to get to Canary Islands where I assumed more would be loaded. It wasn't.

The next SS cruise was the first two segments of the World Cruise. This time I didn't expect a problem, I had stressed it on my pre-cruise forms and had my travel agent mention it. Besides, it was the first segment of a World Cruise.

No Neutrogena, my butler had no idea what I was talking about. I used the stuff in the cabin before the butler came and had a rash quickly but had enough of my own stuff to get me to Hawaii. They assured me, I'd get something I could use by then. Port 1, nothing, Port 2, nothing, Port 3 last port before 6 days at sea, I to CVS and bought soap (I had enough shampoo and conditioner, it was just hand soap I needed.) They also did so I had two bars. And they paid the bill I presented them with since I had been promised soap and had no indication that they would honor their word.

The first time, I could forgive them (well sort of, you can be sure I travel with all sorts of rash cream now since I was awfully uncomfortable on the cruise until the rash healed.)

The second time there was no excuse. My butler had no idea what I was talking about and told me it wasn't available. There was no excuse offered, either, as to why a world cruise would not be offering all the amenities listed in the brochure.

So, I've learned my lesson. Traveling with enough for my 30 - 45 days away doesn't put me over my airline weight limit. It is just galling. I don't drink alcohol so really, it is the little things like flowers, caviar and toiletries that make things luxurious for me and they have all been cut back.

And if SS wants to cut back, I'll cut back too. On them.

One of the most frustrating issues is that SS is now so uneven. One cruise will be fine. The next will have a rash of issues. There's no predicting......

I have lost patience with the excuse that a container failed to arrive in time. I have heard it too often. Either the HD is fibbing, or SS logistics are horrible.

One of the most frustrating issues is that SS is now so uneven. One cruise will be fine. The next will have a rash of issues. There's no predicting......

I have lost patience with the excuse that a container failed to arrive in time. I have heard it too often. Either the HD is fibbing, or SS logistics are horrible.

Can you imagine if we tried the same excuse on them? The check failed to arrive in time!!!!

Probably both. On our November Shadow voyage we didn't quite run out of wine, but we did get through all the semi decent stuff. We did run out of most beers and a significant selection of spirits.

And SS's response to raising concerns about this, just ignore it and hope it will go away.

Whoever runs the logistics for SS should be fired.

Edited by Silver Spectre

I am worried by the lack of response to my question on the state of the Whisper. Booked for fall 2015, hoping all will be well.

I have just heard from friends currently on a world cruise on Silver Whisper. They are having a great time but had and I quote the following comment on the state of the carpeting:

" carpeting on Whisper is a disgrace. Probably not dirty but certainly stained, marked, worn and coming apart at many seams. Looks like it came from Bates motel."