Allure vs quantum

Hi everyone I went on the allure of the seas for my honeymoon and loved it! It was our first cruise ever and I know it's the biggest ship in the world lol I feel spoiled I was thinking of going on the quantum for my bday and was wondering if anyone has already experienced both and what there thoughts are and which ship did they prefer or what were the positives and negatives?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just disembarked Quantum on the 3rd and unfortunately have another cruise book on the same ship Feb. 2nd. Dynamic dining is a DISASTER! No foods arrive at your table warm, let alone hot! Ice cream was always melted. Stay away from any ships with Dynamic Dining! It may be a novel idea, but the execution is horrible!!!

And realtor of the sea I never really understood dynamic dinning can you explain further? And would that be your only complaint how about entertainment in comparison or the rooms? The size of the ship?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been on both and enjoyed both. If you are in Maryland, you will love being able to drive to Bayonne, New Jersey, and not worry about airport security or luggage weight restrictions.

I had absolutely no trouble with Dynamic Dining, and my food was delicious. Well, as delicious as all Royal Caribbean food is: there were both hits and misses, as usual. ;)

Quantum has many features that no other ship has. I recommend Claudio's review. We sailed on the same cruise in December.

QUANTUM Dec 1-11, 2014 REVIEW w/lots of photos

Dynamic Dining is explained here:

Dynamic Dining

Quantum is a gorgeous ship but if I had to choose between Quantum and Allure for February, I would choose Allure. There were many little (and some think, not so little) things which have yet to be ironed out on Quantum. For us, it was definitely more work to plan our Quantum cruise. Many of the things which were touted as improvements on Quantum simply did not work for us including the Royal IQ app and the wifi. These things did not ruin our cruise by any stretch of the imagination but it was somewhat inconvenient and annoying.

I was also disappointed that the water temperature in the solarium and indoor pool areas on Quantum was so cool - one of the things I look forward to on every cruise is swimming and for the most part, it was just too darn cold to do that even in the Solarium.

We did think the entertainment on Quantum was excellent and an improvement over Allure. And Jamie's Italian restaurant was excellent - we ate there twice. However, that is an additional charge which may not be of interest to some. It did seem like there were many cutbacks on Quantum including no coffee in our stateroom and fees for many room service items. We ordered room service one morning which never came - first time this has happened to us on any ship.

Crew member attitudes and morale seemed better on Allure (perhaps Quantum crew members had been "beaten down" by complaints on the earliest cruises). Our Quantum cruise was the very first time I did not leave an extra gratuity for our cabin steward. I also heard MANY complaints about guest relations on Quantum.

Maybe next February things will be different but for now, I would pick Allure.

I sailed on the Quantum Maiden TA and the problems we had on that cruise should have been worked out by now. I am not a fan of DD but that would not stop me from sailing on a ship that has it. I do think another plan could be worked out, so you do not have to make reservations every night, to eat in the restaurants. I actually missed traditional dining, with the same wait staff and table mates.

The Quantum is a beautiful ship but I think there are too many passengers. There were lines for everything. We stood in line 2 1/2 hours for the North Star. (Our choice but we did want to go up in it. :) )

The Allure never felt crowded to me, even though there are more passengers, except when something was happening on the promenade. The Quantum felt crowded to me.

• 1 month later...

I've sailed on both and including the Oasis. They are different ships. Quantum is more tech advanced from the usage of tablets to the North Star and I Fly and wrist band. I enjoyed the DD and I thought the food quality was much improved than more recent RCL ships. The wrist band was absolutely genius--left my sea pass in the electrical socket and used the band throughout the ship. No more fondling or losing the card. I wish we could have used the band when disembarking/embarking in s port.

We had a D7 balcony cabin (hump cabin) and it seemed a bit larger than the Allure--our bed placement was by the door and hands down more closet space & a larger TV over our bed than the Allure or Oasis. Really enjoyed the shower as it was larger and consisted of one door vs the 2 on A & O and no more floods in the bathroom. A problem with our cabin was the sliding balcony door which seemed drafty and on the last night when the outside temp was 10+/- degrees, icy moisture developed on the frame.

As said we enjoyed the DD, however we found, as compared to other ships, the wait service to be spotty in both the complementary and specialty restaurants. Also, lack of sugar free desserts on the menus. The WJ at dinner had more and better selections than on other ships, maybe it was due to some pax not having dining reserves.

The entertainment was by far the best of all of our cruises and enjoyed Mamma Mia immensely. The downside, it seems to me that there are many more poles/obstructions in the theatre than other ships.

Enjoyed the North Star especially overlooking St. Marteen and rode the I Fly, which represented the longest 60 seconds of my life. The bump cars were fun and enjoyable.

Overall, I would love to sail her again, but alas she will be in China.

I just saw this thread for the first time... thanks for the shout-out Merion_Mom:D

Oasis and Q are absolutely totally different. Oasis is very much an extension of what we all know and love about RCL on other ships (ie. promenade, etc). Q could've been called "ABC cruise lines"... you wouldn't know the difference.

I really loved Oasis. I was unsure when I first stepped on Q but by the end of the 11 days I was absolutely and totally in love with her. Q is the ship I have longed for most out of any cruise I have ever taken, and I still think about that sailing. Imo for me Two70 is a much better venue than the Viking Crown, By far and away Seaplex is a much better venue than the Sport Court. I totally loved Dynamic Dining. IFly and NorthStar were outstanding.

By this time, you'll see that there are many more positive reviews about the ship, and I feel the common demoniator of the extreme venom of negativity were from the earlier sailings by cruisers who were expecting the "same" RCL product they are used to. This ship does not provide that. This ship provides brand new experiences. If you do not like change, then Q could be bad for you.

My biggest comment re Oasis(normal RCL product) vs. Q(new and different RCL product) is that Oasis still follows the "older" style of cruising:

Oasis: MDR, set table times, structured entertainment, structured this, structured that... you do not have to think, everything is set, you do not make choices. Everything is easy... just show up day 1 and turn your brain off.

Q: You make choices as you go, you make decisions, you have to have your brain on somewhat, if a venue (ie. Northstar, Seaplex, IFly) is busy you go do something else. It is not structured. You are not stuck to the same seating time or the same people you sit with every night. You get to try new things every night. If you like something one night, you can go back over and over again. If you find new friends, you can make dinner arrangements with them. You choose which entertainment you want, you are not forced to go to a specific show on a specific date at a specific time... you have choice! Q is about not being structured and having freedom to decide. People who do not like this freedom of choice and having to make decisions will hate Quantum. Personally I thrived in this environment.... totally loved it.

Just my 2 cents :)

I've sailed on both and including the Oasis. They are different ships. Quantum is more tech advanced from the usage of tablets to the North Star and I Fly and wrist band. I enjoyed the DD and I thought the food quality was much improved than more recent RCL ships. The wrist band was absolutely genius--left my sea pass in the electrical socket and used the band throughout the ship. No more fondling or losing the card. I wish we could have used the band when disembarking/embarking in s port.

We had a D7 balcony cabin (hump cabin) and it seemed a bit larger than the Allure--our bed placement was by the door and hands down more closet space & a larger TV over our bed than the Allure or Oasis. Really enjoyed the shower as it was larger and consisted of one door vs the 2 on A & O and no more floods in the bathroom. A problem with our cabin was the sliding balcony door which seemed drafty and on the last night when the outside temp was 10+/- degrees, icy moisture developed on the frame.

As said we enjoyed the DD, however we found, as compared to other ships, the wait service to be spotty in both the complementary and specialty restaurants. Also, lack of sugar free desserts on the menus. The WJ at dinner had more and better selections than on other ships, maybe it was due to some pax not having dining reserves.

The entertainment was by far the best of all of our cruises and enjoyed Mamma Mia immensely. The downside, it seems to me that there are many more poles/obstructions in the theatre than other ships.

Enjoyed the North Star especially overlooking St. Marteen and rode the I Fly, which represented the longest 60 seconds of my life. The bump cars were fun and enjoyable.

Overall, I would love to sail her again, but alas she will be in China.

You should book the Anthem as it will (for now) be sailing from this side of the pond!

I have to agree with the previous posts that the Allure is a better choice. I was on the Quantum Inagrual and while the ship was beautiful it was the most disappointing cruise I have taken. While I understand a new ship will have some glitches, as many will attest the first couple of sailings left alot to be desired. Unless there was a show scheduled there was little to do on most evenings entertainment wise, quite a contrast considering during 7 days on the Allure and the Oasis I had numerous options of things to do during the entire day. The Quantum did have Mama Mia which was the best show that I have seen on any ship. I think the main issue on the Quantum was RCCL trying to do things on the cheap by cutting back on staff especially in the dining room. When the crew complain openly that there are serious issues with the ship, RCCL has a major problem. That said there seems to be an uptick on positive reviews since I sailed her in November however, I'll take an Oasis Class ship anyday over the Quantum. Kendra not sure how you are going to Bayonne however you may want to check the Bus Service on the RC website. Reasonable and you have a 3 hour relaxing drive to the port and don't have to pay the parking charges or struggle with your luggage as they take it right at the bus stop.

Chuck

We have been on both Allure and Quantum and loved both. I sincerely did not think the Quantum could live up to the Allure, but the Q exceeded our expectations in every sense! It was simply gorgeous with wonderful ocean views everywhere. The 270, Northstar, and Solarium are incomparable. The entertainment was spectacular, Mamma Mia, Sonic Odyssey, Starwater, and the guest entertainers all amazing. I did not expect to love dynamic dining as much as I did. The food was delicious and I found the ability to have different dining times, venues, and food choices to be awesome. We had terrific service everywhere and found service to be no different than the Allure. Of course, there are pluses and minuses on any cruises., but we would go on Q again in a heartbeat! We live in easy driving of Bayonne, so that was a huge bonus. We were on 11 day cruise so got to try everything! Wish I was there today instead of in this cold!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk