Windows 10 Q&A

pierces

Okay -- here I am trying to post my questions for the third time.

My desk top computer has Windows 8.1 and I don't like it has it does not allow me to type in the font and size I like -- I have eye problems. I am not considering changing it to Windows 10. (I can barely see what I am typing now so am hoping I don't make too many erros.)

But my Laptop is Windows 7. I am having problems with it -- keep getting kicked off the Internet. Comcast claims it is my computer and the Geek Squad says there is nothing wrong with my laptop.

BUT -- I am considering upgrading the laptop to Windows 10. Will the typing be as small as Windows 8.1? How difficult will it be to post pictures on here?

My desk top computer has Windows 8.1 and I don't like it has it does not allow me to type in the font and size I like -- I have eye problems. I am not considering changing it to Windows 10. (I can barely see what I am typing now so am hoping I don't make too many erros.)

But my Laptop is Windows 7. I am having problems with it -- keep getting kicked off the Internet. Comcast claims it is my computer and the Geek Squad says there is nothing wrong with my laptop.

BUT -- I am considering upgrading the laptop to Windows 10. Will the typing be as small as Windows 8.1? How difficult will it be to post pictures on here?

Your problem in Win 8.1 is related to the settings on your computer. I also have eye problems but adjusted screen font and size. If you don't know how. Have the Geek Squad change your settings

Your problem in Win 8.1 is related to the settings on your computer. I also have eye problems but adjusted screen font and size. If you don't know how. Have the Geek Squad change your settings

Thank you.

We have lots of doctor appointments next week -- actually starting tomorrow and Saturday -- so I will make an appointment for after Labor Day.

On windows 10, Right-click on the desktop and choose "Display settings".

Right under the monitor graphic (circled in yellow below), there is a slider that will let you increase display font and app icon sizes as much as 225%.

p1428386957-4.jpg

Click "Apply"

Play with it until you have it set the way you like it.

You can also access the Magnifier (zooms in on the screen and lets you scroll around the enlarged view) by holding the Windows key (usually between Ctrl and Alt) and pressing "+" to zoom in and "-" when you want to return to normal.

Dave

Thank you.

We have lots of doctor appointments next week -- actually starting tomorrow and Saturday -- so I will make an appointment for after Labor Day.

You can magnify or zoom in and out on web pages by pressing CTRL and either + or -.

If you are dropping your Internet connection with Windows 7 it is going to continue if you upgrade to Windows 10. It is a problem with your computer, but at the same time the Geek Squad is probably correct that there is nothing wrong with your machine. It is old and probably needs a new NIC (wifi interface). The one you have works, but is simply not powerful enough.

Another answer might be to replace your router. If you have an old A or B router, get a new N router and that should help.

I really dislike Windows 8 - even after taking a few classes on HAL. I guess I should upgrade to 10 (don't think I can like it any less:D). Has anyone lost any info (documents, photos, etc.) upgrading?

I've been on Windows since 3.0 (back when you still had to have DOS as well!). I've upgraded multiple machines over the years, and also bought new ones iwth the software installed.

Frankly, the Windows 10 was the smoothest upgrade I've ever had! No issues with lost files, etc. Some initial challenges finding things, but that didn't last.

On windows 10, Right-click on the desktop and choose "Display settings".

Right under the monitor graphic (circled in yellow below), there is a slider that will let you increase display font and app icon sizes as much as 225%.

p1428386957-4.jpg

Click "Apply"

Play with it until you have it set the way you like it.

You can also access the Magnifier (zooms in on the screen and lets you scroll around the enlarged view) by holding the Windows key (usually between Ctrl and Alt) and pressing "+" to zoom in and "-" when you want to return to normal.

Dave

Thanks Dave.

For Windows 8.1 -- I was able to get my old way of typing and seeing things like I do on the laptop. Just went to "tools" -- went down to "compatibility" -- typed in "cruisecritic.com -- added it and everything went back to normal.

Still can't find that feature on Chrome.

I really dislike Windows 8 - even after taking a few classes on HAL. I guess I should upgrade to 10 (don't think I can like it any less:D). Has anyone lost any info (documents, photos, etc.) upgrading?

When I got my desk top, it came with Windows 8 and recently I upgraded it to 8.1.

Someone here gave me instructions on how to post pictures for 8 but I haven't had a chance to try those directions for 8.1 pictures.

I taught myself a lot of things for Windows 8 -- it wasn't too bad.

Just still have to take the laptop to the Geek Squad -- got an appointment for 12:30.

If you are dropping your Internet connection with Windows 7 it is going to continue if you upgrade to Windows 10. It is a problem with your computer, but at the same time the Geek Squad is probably correct that there is nothing wrong with your machine. It is old and probably needs a new NIC (wifi interface). The one you have works, but is simply not powerful enough.

Another answer might be to replace your router. If you have an old A or B router, get a new N router and that should help.

I switched to Comcast about 4 years ago and have had 3 computers that I have used without any problems until about July. Problems started with the desk top -- only 1 1/2 years old -- Comcast came out and get it fixed after many hours on the phone with them. The one laptop is just 4 years old and didn't have any problems until after the desk top was fixed.

Funny nothing wrong with internet. I have upgraded to windows 10 on my laptop, no problems except for some of the tool bars that ere on top of Internet explorer are not there and had to figure how to get favorites on edge. But I have no problem since I deal with computers every day and get used to change. but not the wife. She hates change:eek:. The weird part is on my main PC all of a sudden we could not get out to the internet sites, kept saying failed and unavailable network connection, etc... On laptop no problem, both use same router, check all settings and service groups, so upgraded it to Windows 10 and low and behold no problem getting to internet now. :mad: Me wonder if something fishy going on with microsoft. :D

The Ump

John

just up graded to windows 10.prior to upgrading I could transfer a photo to the desktop and it would fill the whole screen.now when I try to transfer a photo to the desk top,i only fill half the screen,if that much.

am I missing something.

thanks for any help.:)

just up graded to windows 10.prior to upgrading I could transfer a photo to the desktop and it would fill the whole screen.now when I try to transfer a photo to the desk top,i only fill half the screen,if that much.

am I missing something.

thanks for any help.:)

Right-click on desktop and choose "Personalize" - At the bottom of the Preview window, choose "Fit" or "Fill" from the drop-down box. "Stretch" may distort the image depending on the aspect ratio.

Play with the fit settings and you can see the result on the preview.

Dave

Edited by pierces

Have you upgraded and are a bit lost?

Maybe haven't pulled the trigger yet out of Fear Uncertainty and Doubt?

Didn't know it was free?

Post your questions here and I'm sure we'll get the usual great input from the more tech-savvy members.

Personally, I have had zero issues with three upgrades here at home, including the one from the pre-release version to the final version Even with the smoothest rollout, sh...stuff happens and sometimes computers are like a 2-year-old and will say they hurt but can't or won't give you any details to work with.

Happy upgrading!

Dave

My upgrade was easy on all my systems but at the time I jumped the queue. It seems to want more memory than when I was running Windows 7. While I appreciate that you get to the desktop faster, I don't appreciate that's at the expense of not having services loaded.

Cortanas a nice idea in the same way as having the NSA follow you around all day is a nice idea. Overall I've seen some minor speed boosts but am not happy with the amount of spyware that needs to be disabled and how gimped most of the new features are once you set your privacy level to "leave me alone".

Right-click on desktop and choose "Personalize" - At the bottom of the Preview window, choose "Fit" or "Fill" from the drop-down box. "Stretch" may distort the image depending on the aspect ratio.

Dave

not having much luck.

am going to take some more pictures and see if that helps.

Dave

got it.

thanks for the help.

Hi All,

When transferring pictures from a memory card, I get a window saying new files not available. Windows 10 won't transfer from a memory card, but Photoshop Elements 7 will. How can I transfer with Windows 10? I use Windows as my organizer and PSE7 as my editor.

Also, is there any way at all to disable password needed to login on startup? I've researched, and checked and unchecked boxes saying "password needed" and rebooted, etc. with no luck.

Thanks!

Hi All,

When transferring pictures from a memory card, I get a window saying new files not available. Windows 10 won't transfer from a memory card, but Photoshop Elements 7 will. How can I transfer with Windows 10? I use Windows as my organizer and PSE7 as my editor.

Also, is there any way at all to disable password needed to login on startup? I've researched, and checked and unchecked boxes saying "password needed" and rebooted, etc. with no luck.

Thanks!

In the Photos app, have you tried clicking on Import and choosing the card reader? I just tried it and it seemed to fine them just fine.

When you plug in the card, does the auto-play dialog appear? If you have already set it to do something, you can reset it by holding down the <Shift> key as you insert the card. The "Tap to choose what happens with memory cards"" dialog will appear and you can choose Photos as your primary app to import. Afterwards, every time you plug in a card, Photos will open and you can import.

As for the password, I would highly recommend that you do not leave your machine without a login password. I'll research the possibility on Win 10 but cannot discourage the practice enough.

Dave