Re-board cruise ID requiremen after shore excursion: need both sea card and passport?

curlysummer

hi all,

We were on Azura in July this year and as we were arriving in Barcelona there was an announcement over the PA saying all passengers must carry their passports ashore with them. Then as we were leaving the gangway security asked us if we had it with us.

been on 36 days Med cruise this summer and never took passports - only room key.

only in port of Venice we was asked to show passports or ID - we explained they where on board in the safe - the employee smiled and let us pass witout any problems.

i found too risky to carry passport with us on all the touristic sites we had visited

I keep reading all this "I never got asked the passport" stuff.... you don't get it guys! it's not a matter of whether you were asked or not during your last trip, us locals never have to show any ID either.... it's a matter you're breaking the local laws. Period. And should you find yourself in a situation you're required to show ID to the police, you'll regret not having listened to the advice of the local people in this forum. So, by all means, be as bold as you like, but don't be ignorant about the issue.

I keep reading all this "I never got asked the passport" stuff.... you don't get it guys! it's not a matter of whether you were asked or not during your last trip, us locals never have to show any ID either.... it's a matter you're breaking the local laws. Period. And should you find yourself in a situation you're required to show ID to the police, you'll regret not having listened to the advice of the local people in this forum. So, by all means, be as bold as you like, but don't be ignorant about the issue.

I read your link and Section 3 Article 11 pertaining to foreigners and I read it stated document not specifically passport. Based on the Identy card they ask for Spanish Nationals to carry which has name, address and signature, my driver's licence has all that on it. So why would it not be suitable, at least temporarily, until I could get the passport off the ship?

@frantic36, if you read the document I'm sure you read as well the words "valid ID". In Europe, the ONLY valid IDs are the passport, the National ID card -for those countries that have one- or your European (European!) Driver's License. That's it. So do the math...which ones can you provide?

If the situation is deemed important enough so as to have to ascertain your ID on the spot, if you don't have a valid one (valid=accepted by the legal system of the country in which you are, not yours!), then you'll be conducted to the Police station until such ID can be established. I think this is easy to understand, right?

In any case, you don't have to convince me, this is not a debate, I'm just passing along how things are according to the local law so you and other unsuspected visitors are not caught off-guard. Period.

Edited by EnricM

In any case, you don't have to convince me, this is not a debate, I'm just passing along how things are according to the local law so you and other unsuspected visitors are not caught off-guard. Period.

Hi Enric,

It's not a case of convincing you, after all you're a Spanish resident.

It's much more a case of putting your posts into perspective, because they do come over as scare-mongering.

For decades, including before the UK joined the Common Market, I've travelled in Spain and throughout Europe as a tourist, as a cruiser, and as a professional driver. I've never been asked to show my passport other than at border controls and some hotels.

As a professional driver I'm subjected to random roadside checks. They're interested in driver's hours, manifest and insurance, I don't recall being asked to produce my passport or even my driver's licence.

I am confident that any official photo ID such as a DL or ID card from any country is good enough to identify a tourist in any situation they're likely to come across.

If there's a more-serious matter involving a visitor, the Spanish police are known for holding a suspected transgressor until bail etc is arranged. Producing a passport isn't going to stop that from happening.

When in Spain my passport remains in a safe place, because the risk of it being lost, stolen or damaged is infinitely greater than the risk of being carted off to a police station to verify my identity. And the consequences of my passport being stolen (ID theft) are infinitely greater than the inconvenience of visiting a police station.

Most cruisers take the same view, and leave their passports in their cabin safe.

Some folk choose to carry their passports, because they fear missing their sailing more than they fear it going missing. If they feel more comfortable carrying it, that's their choice.

(mornac mentioned an instance when cruise passengers were told by ship's staff that they had to carry their passports ashore. I've had the same in Venice. Clearly when told by ship's staff to carry it, one does)

JB :)

@JB... thanks for your reply. As I said earlier, it's a matter of explaining how things are, not, with all due respect, how a bypasser may perceive them. And, no, I'm not saying this as a resident -that wouldn't necessarily qualify me as knowledgeable on this issue- but as someone who knows a bit about it. In any case, I wasn't intending to start any debate about this because, as you'll agree, laws are not debatable, they are what they are and it's not up to you or me to decide how to interpret them. If explaining what the law says -as well as what are the chances to be asked to produce a valid ID are, for God Sake, you guys only read those bits of my post that suit you!-, if that you call scare-mongering, then be so... it's really none of my business whatever hot situation you might get into.

Have a nice cruise though. Over & out. :)

No offense to anyone here, but the cruise line will let you know what is required. On a TA plus Baltic last year, as well as previous European cruises, there were several ports (besides Russia, of course) where a passport was required to re-board and Princess made sure we knew the rules. There were people getting out of line because they did not have one with them.

I usually take my drivers license and cruise card in European countries, the Med, but if the cruise line states a passport may be required for getting back onboard, I take my passport.

Sadly, today's incident in Barcelona is the reason why you ALWAYS need to carry a valid ID with you. Not only IDing undocumented injured is a nightmare but also, when the lockdown has been lifted in the centre and people have been allowed to go back to their homes/hotels, some IDs on the spot have been carried out. Anyway, sadly the know-it-all of the forum seem to know better.

I lived in Spain for 10 years - never carried my passport, never been asked for it by the boys in green.

Well if you were living in Spain you should have been carrying official ID certified by a notary.

During the many years I lived in Spain I had a work permit as officialID which I always carried and was asked to produce it on occasions.