Prices 2016 World Brochure

silver wedding

We have received our brochures for 2016 with it's double on board credit but won't be booking early after the shabby way P & O have treated our current booking.

My wife and I have booked a transatlantic cruise on Adonia to celebrate our ruby wedding in March. We paid full brochure price for an obstructed outside on a so called 'select' booking. P & O are now advertising balcony cabins for less than we are paying but when we rang to ask if we could change our booking, we were told that they wouldn't change it but we may get an upgrade (on a small ship? I doubt it) and they were giving us on board credit. We tried to argue that we were quite happy to lose the OBC and as we were mostly at sea, the offer of a free shuttle bus in some ports wasn't that good a deal but P & O wouldn't have it.

My wife is now saying that she will take the brochure with her and if anything isn't as perfect as the brochure claims, she will complain - loudly. However we don't really want to spend our anniversary looking for faults. Has anyone else had similar problems? Princess reduced the price of our cabin for our October cruise, agreed to lower the price and gave us OBC for our inconvenience. We know who we will be cruising with in future.

You chose your cruise, you paid full price to ensure you secured what you wanted.

If you were happy to wait until last minute but risk not getting any of what you wanted or possibly even not getting a cabin at all that was an option.

P&O do not guarantee prices in the same way as US cruise companies do.

Silver Wedding

I can empathise with you, my husband and I are on this cruise too, we booked the minute we received an e-mail about it, it's a treat for my 50th, on a select fare with a very small on board credit per passenger, then we get bombarded with e-mails informing us of this cruise is now available with £400 each on board credit for the cabin grade we have booked. I wrote to the top man, to be informed that if I paid another £500 then they would cancel our original booking and rebook with the generous on board credit. Decided we would drink that amount anyway, decided to grin and bare it but like yourself we will never book early again, considering other cruise lines for future cruises but we are not going to let this spoil our cruise and our celebration/holiday.

If you need any help spending your OBC just give us a shout!

Silver Wedding

I can empathise with you, my husband and I are on this cruise too, we booked the minute we received an e-mail about it, it's a treat for my 50th, on a select fare with a very small on board credit per passenger, then we get bombarded with e-mails informing us of this cruise is now available with £400 each on board credit for the cabin grade we have booked. I wrote to the top man, to be informed that if I paid another £500 then they would cancel our original booking and rebook with the generous on board credit. Decided we would drink that amount anyway, decided to grin and bare it but like yourself we will never book early again, considering other cruise lines for future cruises but we are not going to let this spoil our cruise and our celebration/holiday.

If you need any help spending your OBC just give us a shout!

Good idea looking at other cruise lines. BTW they all do it so good luck with that.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
The price has fallen again. Now the select fare is less than we paid.

You have learnt your lesson.

You booked early and got the cabin you wanted etc. How would you have felt if you had decided to hold off booking until now. You would have got a cheaper price, would you have any choice on type of cabin ,or where it is.

The select bookers would have nabbed the best cabins.

When pando took away cabin choice for the cheaper fares people were saying they did not mind where their cabins were.

You still get people posting ,who having paid a saver fare, are not happy with where they have ended up.

Also cabin grades sell out. Would you have been happy with the cheaper price if when you booked you could not get the grade you wanted.

Do try other lines, but do not book early with them either as they ALL discount cabins nearer to sailing date.

pando cannot offer the same T and C as American lines due to our law. Not pando's doing-the governments.

You chose your cruise, you paid full price to ensure you secured what you wanted.

If you were happy to wait until last minute but risk not getting any of what you wanted or possibly even not getting a cabin at all that was an option.

There are a lot of negatives in your post which, IMHO, only go to reinforce my view that P&O could not care a s*** for their early bookers, and in fact they seem to go out of their way to try to maximise their income from early bookers just so they can discount their cruises for the late bookers.

Now whilst I hunker down in my nuclear fall out shelter and await the incoming flak, I will console myself that my own favourite cruise line (see my signature) operates exactly the opposite policy which of course makes me as an early booker needing an accessible cabin very very happy.

Agree with this - we have sailed with Celebrity, a US cruise line and if the price goes down you can phone them and they reduce the price until you have paid in full. We know that P&O have done this., As with any holiday we know that when we book the price may go up or may go down - we book early for a Select Fare and know that we will get what we want. We don't look at what the price goes down to (if it does) - it is better not to know - but we still have 15 months to look forward to the cruise and know exactly where our cabin is.

PS In April we had a cabin next to other CC people who had only booked the month before us at a much cheaper rate. We didn't get too upset about it and just thought it was the risk we took.

Edited by Presto2

There are a lot of negatives in your post which, IMHO, only go to reinforce my view that P&O could not care a s*** for their early bookers, and in fact they seem to go out of their way to try to maximise their income from early bookers just so they can discount their cruises for the late bookers.

Now whilst I hunker down in my nuclear fall out shelter and await the incoming flak, I will console myself that my own favourite cruise line (see my signature) operates exactly the opposite policy which of course makes me as an early booker needing an accessible cabin very very happy.

John

looking at your list they are American lines.

It has been posted many times that pando cannot have the same t and c as American lines, due to our laws. Why blame pando for something out of their control.

John

looking at your list they are American lines.

It has been posted many times that pando cannot have the same t and c as American lines, due to our laws. Why blame pando for something out of their control.

Not quite true EL, all the US lines have their own UK T&Cs which differ significantly to their US ones, but these do now allow price matching from which we have benefited on a recent Princess cruise, which is part of Carnival same as P&O. So I assume that P&O could also price match, if they wanted to.

However even better with Celebrity they generally offer a 10% reduction on the initial brochure price if you book during the launch period, normally about 2-3 months. Thereafter their prices increase steadily, albeit with some extra perks, but we have yet to find, apart from the occasional very last minute special offers, that our launch price is bettered, pity we cannot say the same for P&O.

Not quite true EL, all the US lines have their own UK T&Cs which differ significantly to their US ones, but these do now allow price matching from which we have benefited on a recent Princess cruise, which is part of Carnival same as P&O. So I assume that P&O could also price match, if they wanted to.

However even better with Celebrity they generally offer a 10% reduction on the initial brochure price if you book during the launch period, normally about 2-3 months. Thereafter their prices increase steadily, albeit with some extra perks, but we have yet to find, apart from the occasional very last minute special offers, that our launch price is bettered, pity we cannot say the same for P&O.

As you well know the American lines only price match if you notice and ask. But they have to do this by US law, not out of the goodness of their hearts.

But we will not fall out about this as we are to be shipmates, I am sure we will get on well after 4 weeks on the same ship. BTW I am on G&T's . :) :)

As you well know the American lines only price match if you notice and ask. But they have to do this by US law, not out of the goodness of their hearts.

But we will not fall out about this as we are to be shipmates, I am sure we will get on well after 4 weeks on the same ship. BTW I am on G&T's . :) :)

I agree with your first senrtence Dai, but not the second. US lines trading in the UK have only very recently started to price match and yet they have always had seperate UK T&Cs which I imagine, but have no firm proof, are in no way subject to US laws, in fact I think this would be illegal under UK law.

You also did not respond to my second para about Celebrity's pricing policy, could this be because you realise this could quite easily be adopted by your favourite cruise line, if in fact it really cared a fig about its loyal early bookers.

However I do not want to fall out and, as you point out we will be shipmates in 2016, mines a Mojito BTW.

I agree with your first senrtence Dai, but not the second. US lines trading in the UK have only very recently started to price match and yet they have always had seperate UK T&Cs which I imagine, but have no firm proof, are in no way subject to US laws, in fact I think this would be illegal under UK law.

You also did not respond to my second para about Celebrity's pricing policy, could this be because you realise this could quite easily be adopted by your favourite cruise line, if in fact it really cared a fig about its loyal early bookers.

However I do not want to fall out and, as you point out we will be shipmates in 2016, mines a Mojito BTW.

But John as any early booker last year I got 10% of all cruises and one another 5%. So they do care about early bookers.

Surely only BTBs get 10%, we only got 5% off both ours booked in April this year.

No 5% for past passengers, 5% for Peninsular members on one cruise we got a further 5% as it was a peninsular members cruise. That one was in April. On our next it is only the 10% and of course the 10% for back to back! which we also got on the first two on Azura. We were very pleased.

No 5% for past passengers, 5% for Peninsular members on one cruise we got a further 5% as it was a peninsular members cruise. That one was in April. On our next it is only the 10% and of course the 10% for back to back! which we also got on the first two on Azura. We were very pleased.

Dai, You are wriggling about trying to make P&O look better, but the norm. is you only get 5% discount at launch. Any extra is due to either BTB, peninsular cruise or the very rare 175yr anniversary special discount, and you still have not responded to the Celebrity pricing policy comment.

Sorry to intervene here but I've just checked 2 cruises we've booked and although they are almost a year apart they have both gone up more than £1000pp. The one with P&O this November is £1235pp more (booked 18 months ago) and one booked with Celebrity is £1010pp more (booked in June this year but not sailing until September 2015) So we will Always book well in advance!

Dai, You are wriggling about trying to make P&O look better, but the norm. is you only get 5% discount at launch. Any extra is due to either BTB, peninsular cruise or the very rare 175yr anniversary special discount, and you still have not responded to the Celebrity pricing policy comment.

You are wrong I got 5 + 5% = 10% sorry if this upsets you.

In that case you did very well Dai, I just re-checked both the cruises I booked at launch in April this year and we only got 5% discount plus free parking. I have no idea why on the Ventura 2016 cruise you got 10% vs my 5%, but if you can PM me on cruise-community (Towny44) with proof I will certainly be taking it up with my TA.

John I see where the confusion lies now. My post says the following,

"But John as any early booker last year I got 10% of all cruises and one another 5%. So they do care about early bookers."

The key word being " last". I never said every year. My examples are from this years cruises booked in 2013. The early discounts are not set but vary each year.

John I see where the confusion lies now. My post says the following,

"But John as any early booker last year I got 10% of all cruises and one another 5%. So they do care about early bookers."

The key word being " last". I never said every year. My examples are from this years cruises booked in 2013. The early discounts are not set but vary each year.

Dai, seems we both had a couple of posts moderated, the result is that you still seem to be having the last word, even when its a bit dubious.

Dai, seems we both had a couple of posts moderated, the result is that you still seem to be having the last word, even when its a bit dubious.

OK you can have the last word.