Mosquito Repellant?

ccndfw

We leave next week and are trying to decide what kind of mosquito repellent we should bring. Any recommendations on what seems to work best? Has anyone tried the wrist bands? Do those really work?

Edited by ccndfw
More info

I used the wrist bands last year in May. We only needed them one day when we did the zipline at Ketchikan. I had brought the ones from Walmart that are about $1 each. Just to be on the safe side I put one around my wrist and one around an ankle. No problems.

I used the wrist bands last year in May. We only needed them one day when we did the zipline at Ketchikan. I had brought the ones from Walmart that are about $1 each. Just to be on the safe side I put one around my wrist and one around an ankle. No problems.

I've never heard of these. How long do the wrist bands work? Are they a one time use only or can they be used multiple days?

I also have one of the mosquito machines. These are helpful when sitting out somewhere or even to carry. Mosquitos seem to love me so I use bug spray with DEET and my machine. 550030ca0af9c93e87156df8907bb284.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You might want to try the Repel solid stick. It is the size of a large chapstick. Easy to carry and you don't get it on your hands like the wipes or liquids. You can find it in many places. Here is what it looks like:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Repel-reg-Sportsmen-Stick/1570845.uts?productVariantId=3335025&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03580465&rid=20&gclid=CJHD3r-499MCFc9MDQodjsMCsg&gclsrc=aw.ds

I've never heard of these. How long do the wrist bands work? Are they a one time use only or can they be used multiple days?

I just bought some of these TODAY at my Walmart for 88¢ each - I'm flying to Anchorage for a two week road trip the end of next week. This is exactly what I used last year. The package is a ziplock bag so you can put it back it and seal it up for later use. It says it's good for 100 hours.

33916047413_f93ee043cb_b.jpg

Here in Anchorage mosquitoes aren't out in full force yet, hopefully the same for you in the South East. Off brand or Skin So Soft are popular up here with the locals, unless you're out in THE WOODS you shouldn't need anything more than that. AKStafford is right on, if you chose something with DEET in it be careful! :-)

We'll be sailing in mid-August and have the same question. Not doing anything that takes us into the wild. Just a walking tour in Juneau and train ride in Skagway. How prepared for the little buggers do we need to be?

We'll be sailing in mid-August and have the same question. Not doing anything that takes us into the wild. Just a walking tour in Juneau and train ride in Skagway. How prepared for the little buggers do we need to be?

August is a different story, but you won't need anything stronger than a can of Off, if at all.

I can't imagine buying mosquito repellent without DEET! But I'm from Houston and grew up in Louisiana. It has to have DEET to work on those critters. I will just bring what I already have. I'm thinking I will need it for the hike/bus trip through the woods on the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari trip to Davidson Glacier from Skagway.

I researched this a few months ago. While DEET is a proven insect repellent, I'm just not fond of the way it feels on my skin. So I ended up purchasing Picaridin instead. I leave on my trip in less than two weeks, so I can't tell you for sure how well it works. Here is an article with more information:

http://www.outdoors.org/articles/amc-outdoors/picaridin-vs-deet-which-is-the-best-insect-repellent/

I also purchased some Permethrin spray to put on my clothes.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 months later...

Curious if the Picaridin worked for you?

I researched this a few months ago. While DEET is a proven insect repellent, I'm just not fond of the way it feels on my skin. So I ended up purchasing Picaridin instead. I leave on my trip in less than two weeks, so I can't tell you for sure how well it works. Here is an article with more information:

http://www.outdoors.org/articles/amc-outdoors/picaridin-vs-deet-which-is-the-best-insect-repellent/

I also purchased some Permethrin spray to put on my clothes.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

we have used the wristbands multiple times and in various places. South America Rain forests, Alaska, California- coastal sierras, US east coast, Puerto Rico/Caribean, etc

Mosquitoes love me. I typically try just using the bands and sometimes they seem to work or I simply just am not bitten and other times the bugs seem to me more prevalent or don't care about the bands. So I usually just start wearing the bands and then if I get a bite or 2 use the Bens wipes or spray DEET 40. we usually only take 100 DEET deep in rain forest areas or sierras in summer.

July august trip that just passed- bands seemed to work well- I didn't wear them 100% of the time. on a few occasions in copper river area used spray

this is a hard question to answer too because 3 people could be standing next to me and never get bit but I will- so it kind of depends on individual re how well the bands will work

The bands never work for me.

I'm a huge mosquito magnet for some reason and only something a high concentration of DEET works for me (like Repel 100). I despise it though and can't wait to get in the shower afterwards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk