Boarding today Avalon Illumination Amsterdam to Budapest

JVilleGal

Raining buckets again [emoji39]! Sitting in the lounge having a wonderful glass of wine listening to a very silly one man Um Pa Band, very funny and fun. We had way to much food in town after our tour, couldn't eat dinner on the boat but did go and get free wine and desert :)

Looks like you brought some of that PNW weather with you! I grew up in Oregon and retired from the Navy out of Whidbey Island. Man I miss seasons. Here we have two seasons....Hurricane and not hurricane :)

Sounds like you are having a wonderful time.

Just had the big meeting with our cruise director Kady... AND the Captain says we sail!!!! Passau here we come, though we may need to pull over at some time and wait for daylight if it gets too tricky. Pray for rain!

Is kady, a 40 ish woman, not small, but with a great voice, who has a bed and breakfast in Malmedy Belgium????? If so please get her email, I want to go stay at her and her husbands B&B...

jc

Is kady, a 40 ish woman, not small, but with a great voice, who has a bed and breakfast in Malmedy Belgium????? If so please get her email, I want to go stay at her and her husbands B&B...

jc

Yes! I'll get it for you.... She is great :)

We have arrived Passau!!! It is 6:40am and we just docked.

Good morning everyone from Vienna Austria! Today is supposed to be a beautiful day. Unfortunately we are rafted and I can't really even peek out because our neighbor is about 12 inches away :)

Headed upstairs DH says it's beautiful out and the view out the other side of the boat is beautiful.

Included tour this morning (bus & walking of Vienna) and this afternoon Schoenbrunn Palace.

I promise I will catch up on the last two days....

Bratislava today, Budapest tomorrow! Another beautiful day but have just been advised of a broken lock at Budapest. They are trying to fix it and will let us know the as the day progresses :(

The next lock is frequently broken. it is just a little further past Bratislava. It's called the Gabčíkovo Dam and it's very large.

I doubt you'll make it past, it broke last year and we had the same problem. The lock is slowly sinking because of problems with it's construction.

Edited by gentlemancruiser

The next lock is frequently broken. it is just a little further past Bratislava. It's called the Gabčíkovo Dam and it's very large.

I doubt you'll make it past, it broke last year and we had the same problem. The lock is slowly sinking because of problems with it's construction.

Well #!#%! It's been a gorgeous day and Bratislava has been a real surprise! The lovely weather has certainly helped. Darling city just a few minutes walk off the boat. Too bad all our ports did not have this easy access.

We have not heard what is happening with the lock yet, but time to make lemonade (as needed).

We pretty much ate our way thru the darling town, people watched and had toooooo much beer! Sat up top this morning and enjoyed our coffee. Think I might pack a bit and get a jump start :(

It seems even if the lock is fixed.... Budapest is reporting we may not be able to reach due to low water.... It seems our luck may have run out.

CD is giving us Plan A, B, & C

But without lots of rain we can not sail into Budapest, will update later :(

Lock is fixed! But we can not sail into Budapest :( we will park about an hour outside of Budapest and bus into town.

Making lemonade [emoji22]

JVille: What a shame....I hope you get to do Budapest by night. Obviously your ship won't be able to, but there are loads of cruises available, some with dinner and some without. We were surprised by Bratislava as well...it's a lovely little city and I loved the waterfront restaurants...and the town square...I hope you enjoy Budapest....it's one of my favorite cities in Europe. Keep drinking that lemonade.....mix it with some wine tonight! :D