Where do I find the past passenger perks

oofroggie

I would assume that priority during embarkation is for MDR passengers quiet an advantage. I myself do make excessive use of the internet allowance and the laundry discount as well as the free lunches in the speciality restaurants.

The priority boring is quite good, I'll agree with that.

But what I really mean is that they perks are not that big a deal when you consider how much you have to have spent on cruises to get them, so in the grand scheme of things their value is insignificant. I'l certainly not get upset (like others are) if someone did 35 x 2 day cruises and someone else had to do 150 days instead. I mean, who cares ?

We love, love, love free internet, but the laundry perk is pretty silly: A 20% discount that only kicks in AFTER you have spent all of your Onboard Credit.

We carefully ration out our OBC to cover the length of the cruise. We almost always have enough to cover additional internet time, our auto-tips, wine for dinner every night, and whatever extras we need.

Now that we have started purchasing the Cunard FCC, we will have an additional $600 for a total of $1,350.00 to start--$500 military, $250 stockholder, and $600 FCC--a 14+ day cruise, even before we consider any special promotions or Travel Agent gifts, which is more than enough to cover the laundering of DH's tux shirts. Everything else I wash by hand.

We have a special cruise wardrobe of very fast-drying travel clothes, including underwear, that makes doing hand laundry very simple. Moreover, I love the smell of clothes that are dried in the sun on the deck, and whenever we travel, whether by land, sea, or air, I love having mostly clean clothes throughout the entire trip, and hate returning home with a bunch of dirty laundry.

When we get to Platinum, it will be fun to know we will be invited to the Senior Officers' Party. At this point we have to see if we somehow magically get an invitation. We are happy when we do, because we enjoy parties. Last time I had a great chat with the Captain about the difficulties of using BA miles for international first-class travel. They really soak you with heavy fees and taxes--far more than any other airline.

Edited by PunkiC

We love, love, love free internet, but the laundry perk is pretty silly: A 20% discount that only kicks in AFTER you have spent all of your Onboard Credit.

We carefully ration out our OBC to cover the length of the cruise. We almost always have enough to cover additional internet time, our auto-tips, wine for dinner every night, and whatever extras we need.

Now that we have started purchasing the Cunard FCC, we will have an additional $600 for a total of $1,350.00 to start--$500 military, $250 stockholder, and $600 FCC--a 14+ day cruise, even before we consider any special promotions or Travel Agent gifts, which is more than enough to cover the laundering of DH's tux shirts. Everything else I wash by hand.

We have a special cruise wardrobe of very fast-drying travel clothes, including underwear, that makes doing hand laundry very simple. Moreover, I love the smell of clothes that are dried in the sun on the deck, and whenever we travel, whether by land, sea, or air, I love having mostly clean clothes throughout the entire trip, and hate returning home with a bunch of dirty laundry.

When we get to Platinum, it will be fun to know we will be invited to the Senior Officers' Party. At this point we have to see if we somehow magically get an invitation. We are happy when we do, because we enjoy parties. Last time I had a great chat with the Captain about the difficulties of using BA miles for international first-class travel. They really soak you with heavy fees and taxes--far more than any other airline.

You might have had a more interesting conversation had you discussed drying laundry on the balcony with the Captain.

You might have had a more interesting conversation had you discussed drying laundry on the balcony with the Captain.

Probably not--this captain was a man. While most men love the smell of sun-dried laundry, they are usually disinclined to do it themselves. I do, however, have one extremely well-traveled friend who is an Australian stamp dealer who has had a bunch of fast-drying silk shirts made so he can take care of them himself.

The captain, on the other hand, has a prescribed wardrobe that does not lend itself well to hand laundry. I love doing our special travel laundry by hand, but will not wash and iron tux shirts, either at home or while we travel.

Edited by PunkiC

Probably not--this captain was a man. While most men love the smell of sun-dried laundry, they are usually disinclined to do it themselves. I do, however, have one extremely well-traveled friend who is an Australian stamp dealer who has had a bunch of fast-drying silk shirts made so he can take care of them himself.

The captain, on the other hand, has a prescribed wardrobe that does not lend itself well to hand laundry. I love doing our special travel laundry by hand, but will not wash and iron tux shirts, either at home or while we travel.

Sarcasm is just wasted on you.

The problem with drying laundry on balconies is that passengers are told not to leave items on the balcony because to do so presents a hazard.

I had a personal experience on board QM2 a few years ago that convinced me of the efficacy of that rule: I was sitting on my balcony, sipping a can of soda and reading. I put the almost empty soda can down on the table for a second while I turned the page of my book. Suddenly, a surprise gust of wind blew by and the soda can became airborne. I watched in horror as it flew too quickly for me to catch. It blew off the balcony and finally landed on the Promenade Deck. Thankfully, the deck was empty at that moment. I certainly learned a lesson from that experience!

BTW, just as there is a hazard in objects becoming airborne if the wind picks up, personal objects such as laundry left on a balcony can also present a fire hazard if an ember from the stack lands on them. (The furniture on the balcony is fire-resistant, but most clothing isn't.) Airborne items can also be sucked into the ships machinery.

My guess is that any discussion with the Captain regarding putting laundry on the balcony to dry will include the Captains caution not to do it! -S.

Edited by Salacia

Sarcasm is just wasted on you.

You are quite accurate Mr. Toad. Most gentlemen outgrown sarcasm, a very low form of humor, before they leave prep school.

Therefore, when I encounter a statement, either spoken or written, that might be construed as sarcasm, I give the author the benefit of the doubt and treat it as a serious statement in my response.

Salacia, we have been on over 40 cruises and have never once had an issue with laundry being blown off our deck. I am quite expert at securing it to withstand the existing wind conditions. If, of course, it is blowing hard, or raining, I have to wait for better weather.

Hi oofroggie. From what I've been reading, cruise lines are in a state of evolution when it comes to cross-over perks from one cruise line to another. To the best of my knowledge, there are no perks from Holland America to Cunard, while Cunard passengers who are first time passengers on Holland America are invited to luncheon on embarkation day, which I found very hospitable on my first HAL voyage.

After booking my first Holland America cruise in 40 years (we are considered first-timers because their records don't go back that far, not surprisingly) I noted on their Website that members of loyalty programmes of other Carnival-owned lines such as Cunard and Princess will be accorded one-star Mariner status on their first HAL cruise. As Salacia said above, they are permitted to attend the embarkation lunch in the dining room.

When I mentioned my Cunard status to HAL in an e-mail they replied that voyages with other lines don't count. Rather than question why this is contradictory to what is posted on-line, I said I had found our ticket from way back. I e-mailed the particulars and they accepted that without having to send a copy of the ticket. So we have now been accorded Mariner status. I must wonder why Cunard doesn't reciprocate.

Edited by david,Mississauga
typo

You are quite accurate Mr. Toad. Most gentlemen outgrown sarcasm, a very low form of humor, before they leave prep school.

Therefore, when I encounter a statement, either spoken or written, that might be construed as sarcasm, I give the author the benefit of the doubt and treat it as a serious statement in my response.

Salacia, we have been on over 40 cruises and have never once had an issue with laundry being blown off our deck. I am quite expert at securing it to withstand the existing wind conditions. If, of course, it is blowing hard, or raining, I have to wait for better weather.

Punkic, you have more then double the amount of cruises I have taken. While I yield to your greater experience, the fact remains that passengers are advised not to leave objects on their balcony on any cruise/voyage I have experienced - was that not what you have been told on your 40 cruises?

Now, we can debate this until the cows come home, but if an order is given by the ships captain, that is the rule. To my way of thinking, any lawful order by the Captain must be followed by all passengers.

I accept that you are an expert in securing your laundry left to dry on your balcony, but I also noticed that you made no comment about the fire risk, or the simple fact that passengers are directed not to leave objects on their balcony.

Just to mention that there is a retractable clothes line in the shower on QM2 Britannia category cabins. As recommended by an experienced passenger (Jimsgirl) - hand laundry can be done in the cabin sink, rolled up in a towel, and then hung on the clothes line in the bathroom. Not ideal perhaps, but that is life on board a ship. -S.

Several years ago, the Star Princess was involved in a major fire while sailing in the Caribbean. The cause was determined to be a discarded smoking material which ignited clothing on a balcony. It caused substantial damage to 5 decks.

Was the smoker wearing the clothing at the time? :)

Interestingly, on this last Cunard cruise there was never any mention of not leaving clothing unattended on the deck. On Princess I have heard them request that you not leave clothing on the deck when you are not in your stateroom lest they be blown away. I have never heard them mention a fire risk. The whole point of having clothing that dries super fast is that you don't need to leave it on your deck when you are not in your cabin.

Yes, it is true that on rainy or windy days I do sometimes hang lingerie on the clothes line in the shower, but then it doesn't have that wonderful sunshine smell. I would never send my lingerie to the ship's laundry. I don't even machine wash it at home.

Edited by PunkiC

After booking my first Holland America cruise in 40 years (we are considered first-timers because their records don't go back that far, not surprisingly) I noted on their Website that members of loyalty programmes of other Carnival-owned lines such as Cunard and Princess will be accorded one-star Mariner status on their first HAL cruise. As Salacia said above, they are permitted to attend the embarkation lunch in the dining room.

Can you explain to someone who has only Cunard Grills experience what sort of value this is? I have never been refused to have lunch in the Grills in embarkation day.

Edited by cunardaddict

Are you trying to win the "Most stereotypical American of the year" award ? I think you'd win if you entered it - no concept of the world outside of the USA and a total lack of ability to spot when you are having your chain yanked.

Are you trying to win the "Most stereotypical American of the year" award ? I think you'd win if you entered it - no concept of the world outside of the USA and a total lack of ability to spot when you are having your chain yanked.

Don't you remember? She was the lady in the famous US washing detergent commercials and is still washing on...

In this world everyone is clean, friendly, goes to church, has a gun to protect his family and the corral and is a US citizen.

Have you spent much time in America? Do you have any idea what a huge and diverse country America really is? I have spent time in every one of our fifty States (and an equal number of foreign countries) and don't really think there is such a thing as "Stereotypical American".

Please understand that the Inuits in Barrow, Cajuns in Louisiana, DARs in Philadelphia, native Hawaiians, surfers from SoCal, techies from NoCal, Texas oilmen and ranchers, society ladies from the Upper East Side, Iowa farmers, and retired folks on Queen Anne Hill in Seattle, are all Americans. What characteristics do you believe they all have that make them Stereotypical Americans, other than the country of their birth?

Please do not confuse the fact that I refuse to sink to the level of people who think it is entertaining to "yank chains" with the fact that I am unaware of their meager attempts at derision. As with attempts at sarcasm, I simply give them the benefit of the doubt and treat them like normal polite adults. Life it far too short to engage in internet altercations with people I don't know and will probably never know.

FWIW, "stereotypical" is not a word that anyone who knows me has ever considered applying to my personality or behavior. The fact that you chose it without ever having met me, is really quite amusing.

FWIW, "stereotypical" is not a word that anyone who knows me has ever considered applying to my personality or behavior. The fact that you chose it without ever having met me, is really quite amusing.

So I have to actually met you to form an opinion of you then ? I can't form one based on what you write, only on the words that actually come out of you mouth then ? How on earth do you come to that staggering conclusion ?

You may form your opinions on anything your heart desires.

Opinions that are not thourougly informed, however, often turn out to be staggeringly inaccurate. It is for this reason that I give everyone on the internet, well almost everyone on the intrnet, the benefit of the doubt, a rule I only break in the most exceptional situations.

Edited by PunkiC

Have you spent much time in America? Do you have any idea what a huge and diverse country America really is? I have spent time in every one of our fifty States (and an equal number of foreign countries) and don't really think there is such a thing as "Stereotypical American".

Please understand that the Inuits in Barrow, Cajuns in Louisiana, DARs in Philadelphia, native Hawaiians, surfers from SoCal, techies from NoCal, Texas oilmen and ranchers, society ladies from the Upper East Side, Iowa farmers, and retired folks on Queen Anne Hill in Seattle, are all Americans. What characteristics do you believe they all have that make them Stereotypical Americans, other than the country of their birth?

You are describing "typical", i.e. what exactly is a "typical" American ? I'm talking about "stereotypical", they are two different things.

You may form your opinions on anything your heart desires.

Opinions that are not thourougly informed, however, often turn out to be staggeringly inaccurate. It is for this reason that I give everyone on the internet, well almost everyone on the intrnet, the benefit of the doubt, a rule I only break in the most exceptional situations.

I take it you are familiar with the terms "condensing" and "superior" ?

Can you explain to someone who has only Cunard Grills experience what sort of value this is? I have never been refused to have lunch in the Grills in embarkation day.

Of course this wouldn't be of any benefit to Grills passengers who are given lunch in their respective restaurant regardless of their status in the loyalty programme. But it might be of benefit to the 80% of passengers who travel in Britannia. As everyone knows, the Britannia isn't open to passengers on embarkation days - only to invited guests, usually a small number.

Perhaps Cunard could open the restaurant for all Britannia passengers who are members of the CWC. We always board early so we have come to enjoy the Grills lunches when travelling posh but have to make do with the cafeteria when travelling in humble accommodation. Holland America doesn't have the equivalent of Cunard's Grills. Passengers travelling in Queen's Grill sized staterooms get a concierge lounge, but no dining room.

It seems I must explain this comment to you.

Had you informed the Captain of your joyous experiences of hanging washing on your balcony I believe he would have been horrified and told you this is not allowed. Apart from any other reasons, if others followed your example the ship would soon look like a Sicilian apartment building. Most apartment buildings here do not allow it as it is unsightly and usually only seen in low income areas.

It is also because there is a real difference in fares between Cunard and HAL! BTW check out Silversea's program if you don't like Cunard's World Club.

Hi Bruce...not sure what I was looking for but the Silversea's passengers seem to have the same complaints as those on the Cunard boards.

Personally, I'm more than content with our little Diamond perks. I look forward to going to Connections every day to straighten out my free minutes and to find out why my iPad didn't disconnect Rod Stewart at 2am. :D