Gibraltar help

Does anyone know if there are any restaurants/cafes close to the Gibraltar cruise terminal that might do cream or afternoon teas?. We are doing a trip but wondered if we got dropped of somewhere we can walk back after. Although not too far as we have a wheelchair & my mum has arthritus. Many thanks.

The La Caleta hotel in Gib does afternoon tea as I have had it there. Can't help you with walking distance as I have only ever visited on a land tour. However, I am sure there will be taxis available at the port.

The tea is also quite popular, so may be best to book. You could ring the hotel or send them an email and they will be able to advise about a taxi.

BTW I don't care much for Gib, so my friend inviting me to afternoon tea was the highlight of my visit.

The La Caleta hotel in Gib does afternoon tea as I have had it there. Can't help you with walking distance as I have only ever visited on a land tour. However, I am sure there will be taxis available at the port.

The tea is also quite popular, so may be best to book. You could ring the hotel or send them an email and they will be able to advise about a taxi.

BTW I don't care much for Gib, so my friend inviting me to afternoon tea was the highlight of my visit.

Excellent suggestion :D

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know how long it takes to walk to the town center from the Princess cruise terminal? Is it a easy walk? Anyone can give me the walking directions?

If taking a taxi, how long is the ride and the taxi fare? There are probably plenty of taxis at the cruise terminal, but will it be difficult to find a taxi (around 2 p.m.) from the town center back to the cruise terminal?

There will be 9 of us, and I am afraid it might be difficult finding several taxis to take us back; so walking would be our alternative.

Thank you in advance for any assistance/suggestions.:)

It's a fair sized port so there's at least half a mile walk to get to anywhere. Better idea is to take a minibus shuttle into the city - from memory, it cost £3 return, but it's a few years ago and I might misremember or it might have changed. Walking's a bad idea if any of you have limited stamina.

Does anyone know how long it takes to walk to the town center from the Princess cruise terminal? Is it a easy walk? Anyone can give me the walking directions?

The walk from ship to Casemates Square at the bottom of Main Street, is one mile of level walking on sidewalks, takes 15 to 20 mins.

A straight road, the route is obvious. There are taxis at the quayside (but might resist such a short fare) and at Casemates Square. The Square is mainly eats & drinks. Main Street is mainly pedestrianised, all shops with a few cafes, pubs & minor sights, & runs from the Square for about 0.75 mile up to the Governor's place & the little Trafalgar cemetery. Again, like most of the town, it's level ground.

Shop prices are very varied, always barter, beware of sharp practices such as mis-placed price tags and "last-year's" electronic models - if you want a camera, phone or whatever go armed with model numbers and home prices & avoid buying on impulse, the genuine savings are only on tax. Booze & smokes are duty-free & can be excellent value, but again you need to shop around.

The Caleta Hotel is on the Mediterranean shore, about 2 miles from the ship.

JB :)

Thank you JB. :)

We visited Gibraltar in June 2010 (also a cruise stop). Back then, we took the taxi from port to Casemates Square. We then walked to the Cable car station and took the cable car up to the Rock. Afterward, we spent about 2 hours on Main St. I remember there was not much to see on Main St., and we ended up spending 2 hours at an internet café. Since this time we have 9 people, I am thinking of walking to the Casemates Square so the others know the route to walk back to the ship later (since we already visited, the two of us plan to go back to the ship around 1 p.m.; unless we find more places to explore).

Yesterday I found the map that I got from the Gibraltar tourist office, and on the map, it shows a lot of bus stops on Europa Road. We only stayed on Main Street last time, and wonder if there are many sites to see or things to do on Europa Road. Have you been on Europa Road before?

No, I don't think Europa Road is worth your time.

Europa Road goes out to Europa Point, most southerly point in Europe - pretty desolate as I recall. A mosque & a lighthouse. And because you're near sea-level, a poor & hazy view of north Africa.

Though in a car or van (probably not a bus) you can then circumnavigate the Rock via a tunnel on the Mediterranean side.

Buses are plentiful & cheap (used to be free), most are about 20-seaters because of the roads but I don't think that's a problem outside commuter times.

Not interested in a taxi tour of the Upper Rock?

Especially with first-timers?

Only 25 euros pp incl. admissions. And since you are nine, you can probably pre-book your own van for less. Good elevated view of Morocco, fairly small but interesting St Michael's cave worth 15 to 20 minutes (and a pleasant place to sit outside & take in the view for those who don't want to visit the cave), the Apes Den (any youngsters who're afraid can stay in the van - the apes climb all over the van) and a vantage point for views over Atlantic & Mediterranean at the same time, the Great Siege tunnel & galleries (superb northerly views down the sheer Rock side & over the airport to Spain).

Then pile out of the van at Casemates Square for folk to explore the town and make their own way back to the ship.

Yes, there are only a few minor sights & the shops of Main Street are a bit monotonous, but you could leave the others to it & go back to the ship in the van.;)

Thank you JB.

Four of us visited Gibraltar in the past; it will be 1st visit for the other 5 people. On our last visit, four of us took the cable car up to the Rock and saw the view and the apes. The other 5 people said they don't really care to see cave/apes/tunnel. I did check the Rock tour, and the cost is $80/person for a 3 hour tour and their van can only take 8 people.

Maybe we will just stay around Main St. We will be there on a Sunday, so most of the shops will probably be closed.

$640 for a three-hour taxi tour? That really is taking the mick.

We usually get the shuttle into town, getting off the boat as early as we can to avoid waiting (there are several shuttle buses going back and forth as fast as they can get customers). Then walk along to the cable car and ride up to the top. Mooch around there for a while, admire the view, and stroll down to see the apes - and they're not at all shy, you can get within touching distance easily (but don't touch); the babies are very cute. They're seldom aggressive, and the one time one of them fancied a look in my bag, a firm "No" persuaded her not to. Then back to the top of the rock for the cable car down.

Be careful of the time - the road back to the ship always seems longer than the road out.

Europa Point is something to do on your fifth visit after you've done everything else. It's there, but there's nothing to do except say you've been. It's easy to get to on a bus.

$640 for a three-hour taxi tour? That really is taking the mick.

Mebbe it includes a five-course champagne lunch ;)

The upper Rock van tours that you can pick up at the pier cost (last year's price) £22 or €25 for something like 90 minutes, perfectly adequate.

That totals €200 to €225 even without a discount for a van-full.

JB and DSRDSRDSR,

Yes, I thought $80/person for the 3-hour tour is kind of high. The people on my roll call obviously do not think so. :D So far, 9 groups of 8 people in each group from our roll call booked the 3-hour Rock tour at $80/person.

Since 4 of us already took the cable car up to the Rock and saw the view and the apes, I am going to wait until we arrive at the port to see what taxi tours will be available and then the other 5 people can decide what they want to do.

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions/comments. :)

$80.00 per person is crazy.

The taxi/van drivers will be waiting at the port. They will drive you to the top of the rock, stop including the cave and a tunnel and the apes and either bring you back to the ship or leave you on Main Street. We planned on the walk to the cable cars our first visit but were talked into the taxi tour from the graveyard when we got that far. We've done it again because it is fun. Don't miss watching the planes landing.

They'll quote in Euros or sterling.

$80.00 per person is crazy.

The taxi/van drivers will be waiting at the port. They will drive you to the top of the rock, stop including the cave and a tunnel and the apes and either bring you back to the ship or leave you on Main Street. We planned on the walk to the cable cars our first visit but were talked into the taxi tour from the graveyard when we got that far. We've done it again because it is fun. Don't miss watching the planes landing.

They'll quote in Euros or sterling.

Do you remember how much you paid for the tour? We have 9 people, and if we all go, we might need 2 cars or even 3 cars.

Thanks.

We paid about £20 a person for a 2 hour Gibraltar tour and that included entrance to 4 attractions. Got off the ship and the 8 people taxis are all lined up. As soon as they have 8 people they leave. No booking in advance needed. The drivers are very knowledgable and helpful. Great tour.

Anyway the reason for my post as we are back there for the third time ( 4th for hubby as he was stationed there in the 60s) does anyone know if Morrisons is open on Easter Monday? We normally go there for duty free vodka/Bacardi.

It's a twenty minute walk, be aware that Gibraltar is a bit of a dump full of duty free shops. Though the caves and apes are well worth seeing. Just grab a taxi about £10 a head and the driver will give you the tour

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Did anyone walk walk down from top of cable car? If weather was nice; we thought we would walk down from the top. If there was too long of a line for the cable car; we thought we might walk up? Any one know how long to expect this would take? Not interested in stopping at caves. Is the path to walk at the cable station? We are in port 1pm to 11 pm.

The walk down from the top to Main Street is somewhere around an hour - but give yourselves wiggle-time for a return to the ship.

I don't know how long the walk up, and I don't intend to find out :D.

If you want to come down on the Atlantic side in a vaguely straight line, there are lots of steep & crumbly steps & poor (nil?) sign-posting. By road is easy, (goes past St Michael's Cave) but involves quite a bit of zig-zagging, and again the potential to take a wrong turn & have to re-trace part - I know that from experience :o

There are also the Mediterranean Steps, which folk rave about. The bottom is by the Jewish memorial, Engineer Road/Queens Road but that's quite a walk from town/bottom cablecar station, & I can't figure the route of the Mediterranean Steps. Worth searching out details if hiking is your thing.

Did anyone walk walk down from top of cable car? If weather was nice; we thought we would walk down from the top. If there was too long of a line for the cable car; we thought we might walk up? Any one know how long to expect this would take? Not interested in stopping at caves. Is the path to walk at the cable station? We are in port 1pm to 11 pm.

our family walked up the med. steps 2-3 years ago. If you can I highly recommend it...the view is fantastic.....Search for my past posts, I wrote how we did it. We also walked down, easy to do.