DV4 Partially obstructed rooms?

amusea

I am considering booking a cruise to replace the April 7 trans-Atlantic Viking Sky cruise that was cancelled by the cruise line. In reviewing the deck plans and photos of the ships, it seems to show that two of the life boats on each side extend beyond the side of the ship. Of course photos can be misleading but if this is truly the case, the rooms directly above those lifeboats on Deck 4 have what I consider to be a partial obstruction. On the Celebrity "S" ships, many of the "obstructed cabins" actually have a full view out to the sea but if one looks down you only see the roof of a tender rather than the water. Celebrity has labelled such rooms as partially obstructed and has reduced their price accordingly. I hope someone can clarify this issue. Do a few rooms on Deck 4 such as port 4078, 4080, 4092 and 4094 have a similar partial obstruction?

Viking does not consider any of the staterooms as having partially obstructed views. And the DV4 cabins that you mention are priced higher than those on Deck 3 forward and aft which are DV6 and V1 &V2 and those would definitely be unobstructed (since they are in front of or behind the lifeboats).

It will be interesting to see if anyone here has stayed in the cabins you mention and can report on the positions of the lifeboats but I'm guessing they don't impair the view

Viking does not consider any of the staterooms as having partially obstructed views. And the DV4 cabins that you mention are priced higher than those on Deck 3 forward and aft which are DV6 and V1 &V2 and those would definitely be unobstructed (since they are in front of or behind the lifeboats).

It will be interesting to see if anyone here has stayed in the cabins you mention and can report on the positions of the lifeboats but I'm guessing they don't impair the view

We are in Cabin 4093 for our West Indies Explorer cruise. If you look at the deck plans for deck 3, https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/ships/viking-sea.html# you will see that the lifeboats are set into the atrium area, plus they are next to the elevators and 4093 and the cabins you listed are aft of the elevators. Shouldn't be a problem with obstructed views

Oh no, I didn't even think about the location of the lifeboats when I booked 4087. I sure hope that we will not be surprised by a blocked view. We leave in 3 1/2 weeks so I will try and remember to come back here and report.

4087 is aft of the Atrium, which is where the lifeboats are stored. If you want to see the lifeboats, it will take some effort.

Lifeboats do not block the windows of any cabin on the ship. They are positioned outside the Atrium on Deck 3 and because of the window treatment in the Atrium, they are camouflaged.

4087 is aft of the Atrium, which is where the lifeboats are stored. If you want to see the lifeboats, it will take some effort.

Lifeboats do not block the windows of any cabin on the ship. They are positioned outside the Atrium on Deck 3 and because of the window treatment in the Atrium, they are camouflaged.

Major hug for this post. Thanks so much!

LOL Man Overboard! Trying to view lifeboats from cabin! ;p I'm a cabin fanatic - I look above and below. I see where the food and the pools are located (as close as possible :D ) I also check for things like obstructions, elevators, mysterious unnamed spaces on the deck plans!

My main thing is to not get a cabin close to a laundry room. Foot traffic, voices and the heat spoiled one cruise on another line. In fact, we were assigned one this time and I turned it down.

The strange thing about the Viking ships is just how little of the noise from the corridors you can actually hear inside the cabins. We stepped out our door one morning and were surprised at the amount of the activity in the corridor; it was so quiet in our cabin that we thought the corridor was empty.

The same goes for the laundry rooms. They are not contiguous to any cabin. You can't tell if anyone is inside unless you open the door and walk in.

You would expect a lot of spill over from the elevator and stairwell vestibules, but there really isn't. Walking down the corridor you have to be in within a couple of feet before you hear anything. That's one of the reasons I had no qualms choosing cabin 4082 for our next cruise.

The only time I ever heard noise from the cabin next to us was on the afternoon when I had fallen asleep in the cabin, so it was very quiet in our cabin, except for my snoring, which I never hear anyhow, and the neighbors had turned on their TV for some mid-day viewing. I could hear through the wall, but mostly because of just how quiet it was in my own cabin.

It is surprisingly quiet inside your cabin......and like you Peregrina, one quiet afternoon on a sea day, we heard the TV in the cabin next to us....

that evening our neighbors asked us if we could hear their TV.....we admitted a little but no worries....they were watching an action movie and in hindsight thought they may have had the volume a bit high!!

It is surprisingly quiet inside your cabin......and like you Peregrina, one quiet afternoon on a sea day, we heard the TV in the cabin next to us....

that evening our neighbors asked us if we could hear their TV.....we admitted a little but no worries....they were watching an action movie and in hindsight thought they may have had the volume a bit high!!

During the day, I really have no problems with hearing the TV from the next room; I know that I have to crank the volume to hear it clearly and I assume that others have the same issue. It certainly didn't keep me from napping. And, the only reason we can hear the TV is because it is hanging on the wall. I would much rather hear the noise of the TV than know that my voice can be heard in the next room! However, a loud TV at night is another matter--and that has yet to be an issue.

Totally agree Peregrina!

I found that most who cruise on Viking respect all that.....no one seems to be at a volume in their cabins that is invasive of others, and yet all of us know how to have a great time!

Another reason not to be on the party cruise ships - not that back in the day :').......but life is a journey and my chapter today is just different.

Totally agree Peregrina!

I found that most who cruise on Viking respect all that.....no one seems to be at a volume in their cabins that is invasive of others, and yet all of us know how to have a great time!

Another reason not to be on the party cruise ships - not that back in the day :').......but life is a journey and my chapter today is just different.

(y)

Save

During the day, I really have no problems with hearing the TV from the next room; I know that I have to crank the volume to hear it clearly and I assume that others have the same issue. It certainly didn't keep me from napping. And, the only reason we can hear the TV is because it is hanging on the wall. I would much rather hear the noise of the TV than know that my voice can be heard in the next room! However, a loud TV at night is another matter--and that has yet to be an issue.

Slightly tangential topic but on our last Viking river cruise we were right next to the Viking office. Loud TV sounds at 2-3AM. Next day my wife spoke to them. Office said they were not watching TV. Noise returned later. Maria came to our cabin. Not coming from office. Engineer came. Heard the sound. Was puzzled as to source. Long story but a passenger below decks was blasting their TV all day and all night, even when out of the room. Took several visits from the office to get them to stop it, but they were persistent and courteous. We felt Viking served us well.

• 6 years later...
On 4/19/2017 at 1:51 PM, jiminyC_fan said:

My main thing is to not get a cabin close to a laundry room. Foot traffic, voices and the heat spoiled one cruise on another line. In fact, we were assigned one this time and I turned it down.

We were 2 doors away from one and never had a problem with noise but had the bid advantage of it being so close and convenient to use.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2017 at 10:51 PM, jiminyC_fan said:

On Viking, you’d not know a laundry room was there without seeing the sign for it.  It’s very quiet.  

• Like 6