Payment to Alla Tours

Essexlass2

Alla Tours advertise payment is to be made first thing on the second day of their tours. We are now being asked to pay on the first morning and wonder why.

Anyone else had the same experience, any comments?

It is my understanding that it is an effort to streamline the payment process. I don't know exactly which day is which, but I think that payments via cash will take place on one of the days and payments via credit cards will take place on the other day. :):)

SPb Tours does the same thing. You pay on day #1 if paying by credit card and you pay on day #2 if paying in cash. :)

Edited by dogs4fun

I have heard sort of the same thing. If you are paying with a CC, they do it the first day to make sure the payment clears and if you are paying with cash it is usually done morning of the 2nd day.

If things have changed, it would be good to know.

Cheers

Len

Mmmm, food for thought and it would make sense, but we haven't been asked how we are intending to pay and why advertise a specific day and then change it once someone has booked with them. Just makes me uneasy somehow :(

Just ask Alla. she will explain, I am sure. :) There is no need to feel uneasy. Excellent customer service and outstanding tours.

Edited by dogs4fun

Alla is an EXCELLENT tour operator !

We used them last summer for Berlin & St-Petersburg.

Whichever day it is, you can rest easy.

We actually did Berlin, and St-P a few days later, but paid for everything all at the same time.

:D

Last year we booked our tours in Warnemunde/Rostock and St. Petersburg with Alla. We were prepared to pay cash in Warnemunde, but our guide wasn't expecting a cash payment. He told us to pay when we reached St. Petersburg. On our second day in St. Petersburg we went to a souvenir shop where we used our credit card to pay for for both tours with no problem. Oh yeah, we bought souvenirs too - and had a vodka sample.:p

Both tours booked with Alla were really good. We had a wonderful guide in Warnemunde/Rostock who guided us through the public transport system, gave tips on free public restrooms (a museum - as long as you take some time to see the exhibits they're happy to let you use the restrooms), and took us to a nice local restaurant for lunch. Our guide in St. Petersburg was equally good and a really nice person. Our St. Petersburg tour was done out of order, as some of the places we would normally visit on the first day were closed - but we saw everything promised on the tour.

I'd book with Alla again in a heartbeat.

Thanks for the reassurances, folks. I did send a message through to Alla on Friday asking why we were now being asked to pay first thing on the first day and have received no reply yet, but it is the weekend.

I understand we can pay with a credit card although they would much prefer cash in any currency as long as the condition of the notes is more or less as new and with no marks on them.

Didn't know they took credit cards - that's nice to know. We don't like carrying that much cash around. Would gladly pay first day if it meant we could use credit cards.

You might want to check (on Alla's policy)...we paid with cash for our 2 day private tour with TJ Travel on the 2nd day and did receive a discount for a cash payment. ;)

Here's the reply we have received from Alla -

"Thank you for your query.

In our ongoing effort to continually improve our services to our guests we constantly solicit feedback from our clients. The feedback from our past clients is very important to us. Many of our guests have shared that they would prefer not to stop in the souvenir shop to pay for their tours (which is the method that we have used in the past, on day 2). So, we have listened to what our guests have shared with us and changed the way we collect payment. Beginning with the 2014 cruise season, we will collect payment from our guests on the first day in St. Petersburg.

This change in payment will accomplish 2 things: it will streamline the payment process by speeding up the time taken to collect payment and allow time to ensure that your payment via credit card is authorized by your bank.

I do apologize for not informing you earlier. We had intended to change our payment process for the 2014 season but overlooked changing the new payment process on our website and, thus, in our initial messages to our guests. Again, I apologize and trust that this will not inconvenience you in any way. Thank you for understanding."

We can't really see how it will streamline our payment and we haven't checked to see if Alla have updated their website yet, but we will still be going with them and will now pay by credit card.

Don't worry about it, they are a very professional company. You can read all the positive comments on here and on Tripadvisor. You will have a great time SPB is a magnificent city. I am lucky to have travelled to many places throughout the world, but I was extremely impressed by SPB.

Yes, I agree. It is no big deal.

Alla "trusts" her clients in that she collects payment for all of her package tours in St. Petersburg. Many clients have already toured with Alla in Berlin, Tallinn, etc. before they ever reach St. Petersburg, but she collects payment for ALL tours in St. Petersburg. We toured Berlin with Alla but did not make payment for our Belin tour until our arrival in St. Petersburg several days later.

I believe that the "streamlining" refers to payment at the souvenir shop. There have been a few complaints about waiting to make payment in the shop. Some said that it took too much time. Some particularly mean-spirited individuals have even gone so far as to accuse Alla of receiving kick-backs from or owning the souvenir shop. :eek: (She only used the souvenir shop because it was a convenient location with plenty of selections, room and restrooms on the way back to port.)

When we toured with Alla, there were several Alla vans from our ship. We all payed at the souvenir shop on the second day. Because there were several vans, it took about a half hour for everyone to pay. So, I think that she won't be using the shop for payment anymore and that payment will be made aboard each van rather than to Alla at the shop.

It would have made no difference to me if we had paid on day 1 or day 2. Like I said, other companies already require credit card payment on the first touring day. This makes perfect sense to me.

I think that Alla is just trying to please her tour patrons. It is impossible to please everyone.

BTW ... I checked the website. It has been updated.

No worries ... you will have a wonderful time! Come back and post when you return. :)

Edited by dogs4fun

• 1 month later...
Yes, I agree. It is no big deal.

Alla "trusts" her clients in that she collects payment for all of her package tours in St. Petersburg. Many clients have already toured with Alla in Berlin, Tallinn, etc. before they ever reach St. Petersburg, but she collects payment for ALL tours in St. Petersburg. We toured Berlin with Alla but did not make payment for our Belin tour until our arrival in St. Petersburg several days later.

I believe that the "streamlining" refers to payment at the souvenir shop. There have been a few complaints about waiting to make payment in the shop. Some said that it took too much time. Some particularly mean-spirited individuals have even gone so far as to accuse Alla of receiving kick-backs from or owning the souvenir shop. :eek: (She only used the souvenir shop because it was a convenient location with plenty of selections, room and restrooms on the way back to port.)

When we toured with Alla, there were several Alla vans from our ship. We all payed at the souvenir shop on the second day. Because there were several vans, it took about a half hour for everyone to pay. So, I think that she won't be using the shop for payment anymore and that payment will be made aboard each van rather than to Alla at the shop.

It would have made no difference to me if we had paid on day 1 or day 2. Like I said, other companies already require credit card payment on the first touring day. This makes perfect sense to me.

I think that Alla is just trying to please her tour patrons. It is impossible to please everyone.

BTW ... I checked the website. It has been updated.

No worries ... you will have a wonderful time! Come back and post when you return. :)

We are considering using Alla as well in St. Petersberg. Its toss up between SPB and Alla at this point.

Does Alla expect payment before the tour starts or at the end of day 1? I have never pair a private tour before the end of the first day at least. Never paid in full before we even start, which is what their email to me yesterday said:

"...starting with this year's season we have decided that our clients are to pay on the morning of the first day of their tour in St. Petersburg....".

Is this unusual?

Thanks,

Steve

saz25

One way or another you are going to have to pay, so why does it matter if you pay on the first or second day. When we were there last September we paid Alla on the 2nd day, but if you read the information properly she has changed her policy.

saz25

One way or another you are going to have to pay, so why does it matter if you pay on the first or second day. When we were there last September we paid Alla on the 2nd day, but if you read the information properly she has changed her policy.

I'm not concerned about paying. That's not an issue. Its just that I am curious why the change and why so soon? Do they expect payment before you even do anything? They say it on the morning of the first day.

Other companies such as SPB want it at the end of the first day, after you've enjoyed the day.

I think their policy changed very recently. Even their web site isn't consistent. On one page it says 2nd day, on another page it says end of first day.

Steve

You might want to check (on Alla's policy)...we paid with cash for our 2 day private tour with TJ Travel on the 2nd day and did receive a discount for a cash payment. ;)

Interesting - think I will use Alla so am wondering if anyone has had a discount for cash. Do American Express travellers cheques count as cash or are they too old of a way of payment. I have at least up to 2 yrs ago cashed them on board ship.

Interesting - think I will use Alla so am wondering if anyone has had a discount for cash. Do American Express travellers cheques count as cash or are they too old of a way of payment. I have at least up to 2 yrs ago cashed them on board ship.

Here is what they said about payments:

"We accept credit cards - Visa and MasterCard (NOT American Express, please). However, we would be extremely grateful if you could make your payment in cash - US Dollars, Euro, GB Pounds, Rubles - whatever is convenient for you. This option might prove better for you due to the fact that overseas banks often charge an extra fee for payments made in Russia. Should you decide to pay by cash, please be aware that we will be unable to accept cash in bad condition: bank notes must be clean and crispy. Bank notes with writings, stamps or any other defects are classified as unacceptable by our banks. Thank you for understanding."

We used Alla in SPB last June and paid in cash on 2nd day. We did not get a discount for paying cash. We enjoyed our 2 days very much despite the horrific traffic jams on day 2 which delayed our lunch until 2pm and rushed the last stop at St. Peter and Paul fortress.

I can envision problems since she told me one thing in email, the website says another, not clear at all.

The 2 day deluxe tour says this for day 2:

8:00 Meet at the ship

Payment for the tour; Shopping, visit to a Farmers market

I'll probably choose SPB. Though I do like things about Alla's intinerary.

Steve

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I can envision problems since she told me one thing in email, the website says another, not clear at all.

The 2 day deluxe tour says this for day 2:

8:00 Meet at the ship

Payment for the tour; Shopping, visit to a Farmers market

I'll probably choose SPB. Though I do like things about Alla's intinerary.

Steve

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I wouldn't let the mixup in payment policy deter you from Alla. Sounds like they are going through a change and don't have all the details on the website ironed out yet. Remember, the season really hasn't started yet, so they probably have a limited staff right now.

I say all this because we used Alla in 2012 and loved the tour. Best part is you don't have to get a group together from your ship - she does it - and if there is no one else, you get a private tour for just your party. Her groups are limited to 16 in small vans that can move around traffic and get you right to the front door of most venues. Our group wound up being just 11, perfect size. The payment in the gift shop was tedious as we didn't want to buy anything there, so if she has found a better way to handle this, it is a plus.