Cunard Ships

Colin_Cameron

How many Cunard ships have you sailed on? This thought was prompted by two things.

First the number of posts recently referring to Cunard as (just) a two ship fleet, implying that it has always been a small operation - you and I know different.

In my relatively short cruising career I've managed to clock up eight different (Cunard) ships*

Then on the QM2 Hawaii trip Captain Warner, not long on the ship, commented on the number of people he had met who has sailed on...(a long list of historic ships)... He then said, "I never heard Berengaria mentioned" Lots of laughs from the assembled masses except the couple seated near the front and highly visible who put their hands up. "I suppose someone's going to say they sailed on Aquatania then. Ha Ha Ha!" The joke was killed stone dead when two couples said YES!

And I just wondered what sort of collective experience we had on the board?

Regards, Colin.

*Cunard Princess

Sagafjord

Crown Dynasty

Vistafjord x4 (and as Caronia x5)

QE2 x5 +1 booked

Royal Viking Sun

Sea Goddess II

QM2 x2

(and maiden voyage on QV booked)

of course we could argue wheather or not the are all "Cunard" ships, but thats probably the topic of another thread. Feel free to start it.

I am sure there are more out there that have been on Cunard going way back. I have yet to have one sailing behind me so I'm a product of the Cunard two-ship generation. Although within the next 14 months I can say I have sailed on both ships. QM2 in December and QE2 in August 2007. I only hope there will be many more to look forward to. Hardly an expert, just an excited newbie!

Er, just QE2 for me, plus visits to QM2, the former VISTAFJORD/CARONIA (as SAGA RUBY) and QUEEN MARY (in Long Beach).

Finding people who have sailed in AQUITANIA should be rather easier than BERENGARIA as the former was only retired in 1949 while the latter left the fleet in 1938, but still no doubt there are plenty of people who sailed in BERENGARIA as children... I imagine finding people who had sailed in her in adults would be a bit harder.

In 1952, with my mother and grandparents we sailed from Southampton to New York on the Georgic. I still remember the buckled passageways from when it was sunk during WWII. We had spent a month in London after sailing from Australia on P&O's Stratheden and we were on standby for either the Mary or Elizabeth but had to settle for the Georgic.

As we were preparing to sail from Southampton, the Mary (or was it the Elizabeth?) steamed out ahead of us.

My memory (which could be wrong) was that it took us well over a week for the crossing and we had many members of the US Olympic team onboard returning from Helsinki as well as several members of the Australian team who were returning to their colleges in the States and who we got to know well as we were the only other Aussies onboard.

Wayne

I have sailed on the QM2 2004 and the QEII, Countess and Cunard Princess many, many moons ago- must have been the lates 1970's- and only because my friend worked for Cunard when their headquarters were in NYC- It was so long ago that there are no records and I could not prove I had sailed on them to qualify for past passenger rate when I had booked the 2004 trip DARN!!

The "old" (1923) Franconia, Ivernia (also when she was renamed Franconia), QE 1, QE2, and does it count if one spends the night on the old Queen Mary in Long Beach ?

No, I guess not.

Peter

Does it count if one spends the night on the old Queen Mary in Long Beach ?

Peter

Does in my book Peter, you spent a night aboard didn't you? She floats dosn't she? OK, she is officaly a building but she looks a lot less like a building than many ships afloat now.

Crown Jewel (twice) Dynasty, Countess, QM2 (soon to be twice!)

Sorry. No oldies but goodies!

Karie,

whose favorite was the Crown Jewel. 800 passengers, our first cruise. Marvelous intimate ship, food was fabulous, lobster, Beef Wellington, lots of Caviar, Prime Rib, unimaginable appetisers, fabulous desserts, incredibly great service. We still remember our waiters, Maitre D', Tiered cheese tray as you left the dining room. Marvelous everything!

Oh! And GREAT stage shows- And we got to know a lot of the performers and staff. Wonderful people!

Lots of good old ships mentioned in this thread.

Mine were/are Queen Mary (2 transats, 1 stay in Long Beach), Queen Elizabeth, 2 transats, QE2 11 transatlantics with one booked. QM2 Maiden Voyage. Also visited my Grandparents aboard Mauretania II in NYC.

Lots of good memories, thanks for starting the thread.

Jim.

Many voyages on QE 2, one crossing on QM 2, one cruise on Caronia (ex-Vistafjord), and 2 seperate night on the QM in Long Beach ("rooms" M123 and A115).

Anyone ever take a "BOAC/Cunard" flight?

-Michael

For my first QE2 Transatlantic, a Westbound in 1979, I flew to London on Concorde as part of a Cunard package and had a week in London also as part of the package. All in all, a memorable experience.

Wayne

My Mom worked for Cunard in LIC NY so i have been on the Qe2/The countes/Princess/The crown jewel/the crown Dynasty/ and teh vists not my taste because i was young at the time still a great ship because my grand pa work for that line before cunard bought it.

I have been on 14 cruises with cunard and 4 with RCCL and loved every one of then

Archived