Just did an Alaska Cruise on Carnival Legend with a 21 month old :)

Angekim1

Hello!

We just came back from our 8 day Alaska cruise from Vancouver to Seattle stopping in Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan. In Juneau, we did the helicopter tour to the Mendenhall Glacier (with our 21 month old). In Skagway, we did the train. In Ketchikan, we just walked around and did the self-tour in the small town. We were in Suite 6158 with a crib and a balcony. We had a nice time.

I know families out there sometimes wonder what the experience was like, and have questions about cruising in general and especially with a toddler. Please feel free to ask me questions if you'd like.

Awesome! We are trying to plan this in 5 yrs for our anniversary. Would love to hear any details on planning, flights, costs etc! Did you watch from your balcony or go to the top decks? How was weather?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

My granddaughter was 22 months when we took her. She doesn't remember anything about it. BUT we do and it was such an awesome vacation. We have done other family vacations and cruises but Alaska it the one all others are measured against.

bmetz34 that same granddaughter cruised again with us when she was 3. She couldn't open the balcony door. Obviously time on the balcony was focused on her. She understood straight away there would be no standing on the chairs or the table. She got bored with the balcony quickly. As adults we love to watch the ocean but to a toddler it isn't as fascinating.

Awesome! We are trying to plan this in 5 yrs for our anniversary. Would love to hear any details on planning, flights, costs etc! Did you watch from your balcony or go to the top decks? How was weather?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Planning was sort of last minute, I think we booked about 4 months prior through Costco travels. Therefore costs were a bit high :/

Yes we definitely watched the glacier and wildlife from our balcony - especially since our baby took a 2.5 plus hour nap every day. We loved drinking coffee or a nice glass of wine outside! We did also go outside on the top decks to get some pictures and more views.

Weather was great! It was cold but not rainy! The windy days were a little brutal but at least it wasn't windy and rainy :)

We loved our balcony - granted baby wasn't tall or strong enough to climb very well. We never left him alone, kept an eye on him at all time, and never put furniture next to the edge. I can see how you would be nervous with an older toddler who can climb. However the balcony lock is high up on the door and as long as baby is supervised outside, should be fine :) I would continue to get a balcony in the future!

One thing to note, the Legend did not have changing tables in the men's bathrooms (public areas) on the ship.

Congratulations on your anniversary :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Angekim1

We were booked on that exact same cruise (4/30), but had to reschedule. :( Hope your cruise was amazing!

Alaska was amazing! The glaciers were super amazing and beautiful! I hope you have a chance to go soon!

Any tips on how to get my toddler through a Muster Drill? We are cruising in less than 2 weeks with our 2 1/2 yo.

Bring some snacks and drink and maybe a little toy or two. We had to keep ours occupied he whole time mostly holding him. It wasn't too bad but it was towards the evening (witching hour) so he was extra squirmy, hungry and easier to become cranky! :) good luck and safe & happy travels :)

Bring some snacks and drink and maybe a little toy or two. We had to keep ours occupied he whole time mostly holding him. It wasn't too bad but it was towards the evening (witching hour) so he was extra squirmy, hungry and easier to become cranky! :) good luck and safe & happy travels :)

Thanks for the info :D

So glad to hear you enjoyed it. We are booked in that same room for the May 23rd departure. Planning activities at the moment. Curious to know what you wore most of the time on the ship. We are more accustomed to the warmer cruises and I wasn't sure how "fancy" these are or how the formal nights compare. We also have to fly and we usually drive. Tell me about airport transfers if you have time and don't mind.

Thanks bunches

Hello!

We just came back from our 8 day Alaska cruise from Vancouver to Seattle stopping in Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan. In Juneau, we did the helicopter tour to the Mendenhall Glacier (with our 21 month old). In Skagway, we did the train. In Ketchikan, we just walked around and did the self-tour in the small town. We were in Suite 6158 with a crib and a balcony. We had a nice time.

I know families out there sometimes wonder what the experience was like, and have questions about cruising in general and especially with a toddler. Please feel free to ask me questions if you'd like.

At Muster, simply treat it as you would in a long line in the grocery store...surely you have had times where you must "make do" with your child while waiting! Same thing here!

As far as the balcony...it's a total "non-issue"....toddlers cannot access the balcony on their own. If you take them out, you will be with them always. Not a big deal. It gives YOU someplace "to be" when baby is napping or down early for the night.

I am taking this cruise in two weeks. Can you answer some questions about what clothing to pack? What was the weather like on the excursions? What was the temp like on the ship? I'm used to cruises to the Caribbean where shorts and t-shirts rule the day. I am generally a warm person (are you? - just need a reference point when you answer) but would like to know if leggings and long sleeve shirts would be better. I have a balcony and plan to spend lots of time sitting on it. Would you recommend sweatshirts? In the MDR for the formal dinners did people still dress up? If I plan to wear a summer dress should I plan on a jacket for the MDR? I have booked the lighthouse totem eagles tour in Ketichican but have recently seen some poor reviews and am reconsidering. Was just walking around the town a good fit for you? Thanks so much for your answers.

Hello!

Was there anything you brought for your toddler that you were especially happy that you had or that made your trip easier (toys, gear, etc.)? Was there anything you wish that you had with you but didn't bring?

Did you use any of the children's programs like babysitting (at night or in port) or any of the activities for toddlers and parents together? If so, would you recommend them? I know most of the programming is for kiddos over 2 yrs old.

Thanks! So happy to hear that your family had a nice time!

Any tips on how to get my toddler through a Muster Drill? We are cruising in less than 2 weeks with our 2 1/2 yo.

We took our youngest on his first cruise when he was 18 months old. He was asleep in a Tula when it was time for muster drill. The staff told me to go to the seating area for the disabled so he would be more comfortable. There were a number of people with small children there so perhaps you can ask on your ship if you aren't directed there.

Was there anything you brought for your toddler that you were especially happy that you had or that made your trip easier (toys, gear, etc.)? Was there anything you wish that you had with you but didn't bring?

Did you use any of the children's programs like babysitting (at night or in port) or any of the activities for toddlers and parents together? If so, would you recommend them? I know most of the programming is for kiddos over 2 yrs old.

Thanks! So happy to hear that your family had a nice time!

I know I'm not OP, but we took our son on his first cruise at 18 months.

Our toddler loved window clings for the balcony doors and magnets for the cabin doors. We also bought an inflatable bathtub for baths in the shower and used it as his own pool on the balcony since children can't be in the pool or any of the waterworks areas unless they are potty trained. It had a suction cup and hook so we could hang it in the shower to dry after he used it. We brought familiar snacks like Annie's fruit snacks and homemade yogurt puffs just in case but the staff was so accommodating! The even took his sippy cup to be washed and filled it with milk every night at dinner and had fruit waiting for him every night so he could eat right away. The stewards specifically asked when he napped and when the best time to clean our room was. There were even cookies waiting for him in the room every afternoon.

Our baby carrier was without a doubt, the best thing we brought. He slept through the muster drill in it, I ate brunch while he napped in it, and in port, I didn't have to worry about a stroller or him running loose in an unfamiliar area.

He wasn't old enough for the camp carnival (he was 18 months old at the time), but there were set times that we could go to the camp areas for toddler play. If we stayed with him it was free, there was a charge if we left him with staff, but we chose to stay with him.

I am taking this cruise in two weeks. Can you answer some questions about what clothing to pack? What was the weather like on the excursions? What was the temp like on the ship? I'm used to cruises to the Caribbean where shorts and t-shirts rule the day. I am generally a warm person (are you? - just need a reference point when you answer) but would like to know if leggings and long sleeve shirts would be better. I have a balcony and plan to spend lots of time sitting on it. Would you recommend sweatshirts? In the MDR for the formal dinners did people still dress up? If I plan to wear a summer dress should I plan on a jacket for the MDR? I have booked the lighthouse totem eagles tour in Ketichican but have recently seen some poor reviews and am reconsidering. Was just walking around the town a good fit for you? Thanks so much for your answers.

I was on the May 8th sailing. It rained in Ketchikan and Victoria. It varied between a drizzle and medium. I had a light puffy jacket on, so the water mostly rolled off.

The ship was fine. I don't recall freezing or overheating. I was never cold, but I love snow and cold air. I live in Louisiana. We have two seasons: humid and slightly less humid. I can tolerate it up to a certain point, but I am not a happy camper sometimes.

I wear t-shirts and jeans year round. I wore my light puffy jacket out on my balcony(6212). It is puffy enough to provide some warmth, but not so puffy that I look like the Michelin man. I didn't need the jacket every time.

People still dressed up, but I only saw one prom dress. I had early dining. I wore my jacket around the ship, but I always took it off for supper if I wore it to the dining room.

I went on the eagles lighthouse totem poles excursion. The bus ride to and from the dock was nice. The food on the boat was good. We saw plenty of eagles, one lighthouse, and Totem Bight State Park. The part that I didn't like was that the captain(can't remember his name) seemed to love pointing out his friends' houses. It seemed like that was half of what we saw and heard. Most of the houses were interesting to look at, but the guy would not shut up. After the tour, I just went shopping.

Thanks for this info

I forgot to say that it rained in Juneau as well.

Just pay attention to the weather forecast. Just because it rained on my cruise doesn't mean it will rain on yours.

Eat at Tracy's King Crab Shack in Juneau. It is expensive, but it is worth it.

• 1 month later...