Baltimore and New Jersey price difference

Checking out prices on a 5 day Bermuda out of Baltimore in Sept 2017 and I was trying to understand why it is more money to sail on the Grandeur Balcony cabin than the Anthem balcony cabin out of New Jersey. $ 221.00 to be exact. The Anthem is only a year old with so much more to offer than the Grandeur. as far as on board activities. I would prefer to go out of Baltimore as it is about 125 miles closer to home. Any thought as to why the old ship would cost more.

Checking out prices on a 5 day Bermuda out of Baltimore in Sept 2017 and I was trying to understand why it is more money to sail on the Grandeur Balcony cabin than the Anthem balcony cabin out of New Jersey. $ 221.00 to be exact. The Anthem is only a year old with so much more to offer than the Grandeur. as far as on board activities. I would prefer to go out of Baltimore as it is about 125 miles closer to home. Any thought as to why the old ship would cost more.

Crazy, isn't is? Grandeur has quite a following and sails full.

Anthem is newer and about 3 times the size, and also sails full, but the dining and making reservations for everything has many turned off.

The Grandeur is a more traditional cruising experience while the Anthem has all the bells and whistles.

Doesn't make much sense to me either. :eek:

NYC or Bayonne will work for us, but will hate to loose Baltimore.

Thanks sea sheperd....BTW...loved that show........cool screen name! :)

They just signed a contract with Baltimore until 2020. So you don't have to worry about it for now.

I love Baltimore too. So easy for embarkation and debarkation.....

Gwen :)

I do not know all of the technical terms but sailing from Baltimore means 8 hours on the Chesapeake Bay. They have to have a pilot on board for those 8 hours. Also there are other issues that concern the water quality in the Bay. I heard that the laundry cannot operate while in the Bay...not sure if that is accurate but it supposedly has to do with releasing water into the Bay. So...it is reflected in the price.

Cruising the Chesapeake is very different. For those 8 hours you see land on both sides of the ship. When you get to the Norfolk area you go over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. Watching the vehicle headlights disappear - as the vehicles enter the tunnel - is unique. Baltimore is also one if not the best port to access. Only problem is that the ramp to the ship is rather long and steep.

We have done both Baltimore and Bayonne...the both are great ports for us. We do not have to deal with flights!

Edited by JMG

I do not know all of the technical terms but sailing from Baltimore means 8 hours on the Chesapeake Bay. They have to have a pilot on board for those 8 hours. Also there are other issues that concern the water quality in the Bay. I heard that the laundry cannot operate while in the Bay...not sure if that is accurate but it supposedly has to do with releasing water into the Bay. So...it is reflected in the price.

Cruising the Chesapeake is very different. For those 8 hours you see land on both sides of the ship. When you get to the Norfolk area you go over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. Watching the vehicle headlights disappear - as the vehicles enter the tunnel - is unique. Baltimore is also one if not the best port to access. Only problem is that the ramp to the ship is rather long and steep.

We have done both Baltimore and Bayonne...the both are great ports for us. We do not have to deal with flights!

Not right now it's not.

Since the Carnival ship and the boarding ramp collided, passengers have been embarking and disembarking from pier level.

;) :D

Supply and demand is the usual reason.

IMO, this is the simple and complete answer.

There are some "twists" to the answer. The balcony cabin price may be higher because there is a much lower proportion of balcony cabins on the Grandeur than on the Anthem.

Compare the interior prices on the same cruises. Lower on Grandeur.

Compare the JS prices. Lower on Grandeur, where you get less than on Anthem, which has the new Suite class perks.

Edited by Merion_Mom

I agree with Bob. There are fewer balconies on Grandeur so supply and demand kicks in.

I totally agree with this. The older, smaller ships have fewer balconies, which will always drive pricing up. It's really quite that simple.

Guest maddycat
It has to do with what Baltimore charges Rccl to dock there. They got a better deal with NJ to keep them there. They were talking about moving.

RCI just spent 50 million to build a new terminal in NJ.

We are in the same boat...pun intended. We know the whole area well, live in De. just a few miles from the bay and DH was stationed in Norfolk.

The pilot requires a salary, and with his transportation, that is over time.

The Chesapeake Bay Foundation and surrounding states have really tightened up all boating/water even plant and animal activities. As someone who appreciates the beautiful healthy Caribbean waters, I'm glad that something is being done.......even at a cost.

We are in the same boat...pun intended. We know the whole area well, live in De. just a few miles from the bay and DH was stationed in Norfolk.

The Chesapeake Bay Foundation and surrounding states have really tightened up all boating/water even plant and animal activities. As someone who appreciates the beautiful healthy Caribbean waters, I'm glad that something is being done.......even at a cost.

The origional question was why was a balcony cabin $221 more on Grandeur.

Let's say that the pilot makes $3000 for the trip out and another $3000 for the return, that's $6000 (I think I'm being generous in what that would cost) spread over the 2500 passengers is $2.40 per person or about $5 per cabin.

Others have given the reasonable answers of supply and demand. Supply of balconies on Grandeur is low and demand is high and Royal will charge what they think the market can bear.

The origional question was why was a balcony cabin $221 more on Grandeur.

Let's say that the pilot makes $3000 for the trip out and another $3000 for the return, that's $6000 (I think I'm being generous in what that would cost) spread over the 2500 passengers is $2.40 per person or about $5 per cabin.

Others have given the reasonable answers of supply and demand. Supply of balconies on Grandeur is low and demand is high and Royal will charge what they think the market can bear.

Baltimore is very strict as I said. The Save the bay foundation has a lot to do with it also ;)

Due to the amount of recreational boating on the bay, 2 pilots are required for all commercial vessels over a certain tonnage traveling the bay. This requirement is for the safety of all vessels.

The pilots have a place in both Baltimore and Norfolk to stay as they wait their next assignment.

The bay pilots are their own association so their cost is put in a pool and it pays not only for salary but all other expensive the association accrue.

As far as the CBF they are a private organization that have no regulatory say on the bay.They make suggestions and lobby state government. This is mandated mostly by the States of Maryland and Virginia and the federal government.

Just when I thought this couldn't go further off course......

It's unreal.

Clarea and Merion Mom hit it right on the head. It's supply and demand. It has nothing to do with the other stuff being mentioned in this thread.

There are not a lot of balconies on the Vision class ships so the demand is a lot higher for a balcony on the Grandeur. Inside rooms and oceanview rooms on the Grandeur are still pretty cheap.

Do a mock booking of an oceanview room & a balcony room on the Anthem. Then do the same with the Grandeur. The difference is significantly greater on Lady G.