Dream Engine Trouble?

CappNJack

I am wondering that to since I am suppose to be on it. Havent heard anything from Carnival.

Thanks for the reply. I hope you will keep everyone updated here if you hear anything from Carnival. I'm sure there are others here that share your concerns. Best wishes. Other posts so far seem to be speculation and I'm sure passengers on the next cruise would appreciate any actual facts that you receive.

Well, this really depends on whether this is a problem with an "engine" or with the propulsion. If someone onboard can confirm whether there are two wakes or just one, will help clarify the situation. I don't think the possible loss of one "engine" (a diesel generator set) out of 6 would result in a reduction in speed to 12-13 knots. Even losing two diesels would allow about 15-17 knots. I suspect a problem with the propulsion, having one propeller completely out of service. This could mean a failure of the pitch control system, the propulsion electric motor itself, or the power supply and control to the motor (a variable frequency drive). Depending on what part of the propulsion system is involved, and what has failed, will determine whether or not the parts are available (many of these components are not "stocked" by the manufacturer, but built to order), and whether the repair will be accomplished quickly or not. Each propulsion motor has two sets of windings, and two control systems, so its possible for them to get half of the system running, and have one propeller at full power and one at half power until they can fix it completely. That would also give about 17-18 knots.

Don't know if this is related, but we did have vibrations on the spring break cruise in April.

We were stalled for about a hour or so. Now we are moving along quickly and smoothly. The Captain came on a few moments ago and confirmed that the fix was successful.

Great job Carnival.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are now cruising along at 36 km/hr. :) Not sure what they did during the stoppage - but the captain's announcement beforehand said they were stopping to perform a test and his announcement said the test had been completed successfully. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are now cruising along at 36 km/hr. :) Not sure what they did during the stoppage - but the captain's announcement beforehand said they were stopping to perform a test and his announcement said the test had been completed successfully. :)

Ah, perhaps the old "Have you tried turning it off and then on again?" fix. ;)

A co-worker of mine is on the Dream. He is a maintenance engineer and probably helped the repair efforts. HAHA.

If something broken is supposed to move..WD40

If something broken is not supposed to move...Duct tape

A co-worker of mine is on the Dream. He is a maintenance engineer and probably helped the repair efforts. HAHA.

If something broken is supposed to move..WD40

If something broken is not supposed to move...Duct tape

Rofl! Funny stuff.