HMC advice for single mom & kids that don't swim

nothriver

First off all, we are not beach people, we are from Iowa, and I've only spent a few days of my entire life on a beach.

I'll likely be alone with two girls, ages 9 & 11, both can barely swim. I obviously need to keep close watch on the girls, and in fact, prefer to stay within arms reach of them.

I have no idea what to take, where to go, or what to do.

I've read repeatedly not to leave belongings unattended. How do I manage this alone with children that need close supervision? Do I take nothing but towels and key cards on lanyards? Can I seriously not take a bag with clothes, sunscreen etc and reasonably expect it will remain where I leave it while we swim or walk the beach? Or eat lunch? I'd thought we'd rent clamshell and floaties but I'm just hung up on this "don't leave anything unattended" and I'm just not sure what we should do.

As far as the beach itself, where do we go when we get to the beach? Is the play area super crowded? What ages is this geared for? Should we instead go the far end of the beach where it is less crowded? Or do we need to stay near lockers to keep our sunscreen under lock and key? Again, I'm from Iowa so this notion that I can't leave a beach bag sitting somewhere is incrediably irritating. I like to trust my fellow cruise passangers not to steal sunscreen and kids swim cover ups, but I'm reading others say they go eat and swim in shifts, never leaving things unattended so I don't know what to think, except that this beach thing isn't sounding like very much fun to me, but it doesn't seem right to not let the kids go the beach, either.

Your personal stuff will be perfectly fine unattended....thieves want electronics, like phones, or cameras....not your tee shirt or sunscreen!

Bring a tote to put your important stuff in...doesn't have to be huge!!! and carry it when you go away from your "spot" on the beach. You really don't have to be paranoid!!!!

The water is clear and calm...your non-swimming kids can wade and splash....it's not rough at all.

HMC is a gorgeous beach day....try to enjoy it....it's beautiful, and safer than most US beaches!

If you find it's not for you, the ship is open and running...and the pools will be virtually empty of passengers! You can enjoy the ship, if you want. Try not to pre-judge.....and stop reading reviews! You're scaring yourself! There's nothing frightening about HMC at all!

First off all, we are not beach people, we are from Iowa, and I've only spent a few days of my entire life on a beach.

Sorry, but had to laugh when I read this. My wife and her family are from the Sioux City area, and thus have a similar life experience to yours. However, as they had never(prior to moving to California) been to the beach, they will now go to the beach ANY TIME, ANY WHERE, summer or winter, whether it is in a swimsuit, or in the winter wearing a heavy jacket. DW loves to swim in the ocean, however she is a little picky about ocean temps.

• 2 months later...

You can buy a waterproof pouch (like a neck lanyard) to put your money and room keys in. I was concerned when i went on a cruise alone and wanted to enjoy the beach without worrying that my ipod, money, and room key everytime i went for a swim. it was worth the $9.99 :)

You can buy a waterproof pouch (like a neck lanyard) to put your money and room keys in. I was concerned when i went on a cruise alone and wanted to enjoy the beach without worrying that my ipod, money, and room key everytime i went for a swim. it was worth the $9.99 :)

I do this, nice piece of mind. The rest of the stuff don't worry about. Everybody else is off the ship. No one will steal your suntan lotion. It's paradise. You may find you actually are a beach person! ;)

I'll likely be alone with two girls, ages 9 & 11, both can barely swim. I obviously need to keep close watch on the girls, and in fact, prefer to stay within arms reach of them.

I have no idea what to take, where to go, or what to do.

I've read repeatedly not to leave belongings unattended. How do I manage this alone with children that need close supervision? Do I take nothing but towels and key cards on lanyards? Can I seriously not take a bag with clothes, sunscreen etc and reasonably expect it will remain where I leave it while we swim or walk the beach? Or eat lunch? I'd thought we'd rent clamshell and floaties but I'm just hung up on this "don't leave anything unattended" and I'm just not sure what we should do.

As far as the beach itself, where do we go when we get to the beach? Is the play area super crowded? What ages is this geared for? Should we instead go the far end of the beach where it is less crowded? Or do we need to stay near lockers to keep our sunscreen under lock and key? Again, I'm from Iowa so this notion that I can't leave a beach bag sitting somewhere is incrediably irritating. I like to trust my fellow cruise passangers not to steal sunscreen and kids swim cover ups, but I'm reading others say they go eat and swim in shifts, never leaving things unattended so I don't know what to think, except that this beach thing isn't sounding like very much fun to me, but it doesn't seem right to not let the kids go the beach, either.

They have area for kids that just knee high close to the tenders. You can just go there and kids will enjoy it. HMC is a Hal private island ,so there are no locals beside workers that get shuttled there by cruise line. You can leave sunscreen and cover ups on the chairs nobody will steal them.

Edited by ODECCIT

• 1 month later...

Another suggestion if you want to go in the water with your kids. Put a tote bag between your chairs and use zip ties to secure it. This might not stop a thief from trying, but may be more trouble than it is worth to him. Don't forget to bring something like nail flippers to cut the ties with after. But best advise don't bring anything with you that you couldn't live without.

• 4 weeks later...

I have never felt safer than at HMC. The surf is calm (well most of the time) you can wander the beach, and besides your camera, which you would take with you when you walk, what else is there> The towels are from the ship, the food is good, the burgers are actually grilled, the kids will love to splash around. I wasn't laughing at your post, but I have no idea who's post you were reading to make you so scared. Go with an open mind, this water is the clearest and cleanest you will ever see in your life. Enjoy! I cant wait to be back there this September.