Whisper Dry Dock

CrusinPaul

We were told it's going to get a full make-over in 2015 before the 2016 world cruise. But I don't see any time in her schedule next year to fit a complete re due? We don't plan on going back on her until it's cleaned up.

Hi Carefreecruise,

Would you please elaborate a bit on your "until it's cleaned up" comment? We booked Whisper

on a summer 2015 cruise and were concerned about its condition, and this thread has put that

issue front and center. We are doing a Norway cruise, so there are many other options.

Thanks so much.

Hi Carefreecruise,

Would you please elaborate a bit on your "until it's cleaned up" comment? We booked Whisper

on a summer 2015 cruise and were concerned about its condition, and this thread has put that

issue front and center. We are doing a Norway cruise, so there are many other options.

Thanks so much.

To put it bluntly: not all the ships in Silversea fleet are kept to the same standard as far as hospitality goes. We are more critical than most due to my job in hospitality was to go in after the hotel was built or remodeled and provide a punch-list for all things that were not right. So we are looking a little closer than most guests. We find some areas look fine, like the bar for example. But other areas look very tired. We prepared a large laundry list of correction for them when we arrived in our room and would not unpack until things were straighten away. Most other areas look VERY tired and not even kept cleaned to the standard it should be. Most passengers just don’t look at things the same way we do. We would compare the Whisper as a dirty Best Western Hotel and not a Four Season or Ritz Hotel. If you live in the US, it should make sense.

Yikes, what does this mean? We are booked on Whisper for a 17-day cruise next November, Barbados/Amazon/Barbados.

I think Duct Tape was referring to the crossing -- More than once I've heard Southampton/Montreal or New York has been rather "exciting" -- seas.

This thread is more than a bit confusing. The Whisper and Shadow are our favorite ships and I hope they are being taken care of. Due to ongoing reports indicating that there are many things to be done to bring them back to the condition they were in 3 years ago, I think we will wait to sail on Silversea again until after one or both ships have had been dry docked (not a "wet dock" which was done late last year to the Shadow). We were on the Shadow right before a short wet dock in September, 2013. The reports from the ship indicate that she still needs new carpeting in the hallways. It seems that Silversea is putting all of their money into old/new cruise ships instead of maintaining the ones that they have. Very sad as we do enjoy Silversea.

I sadly agree with Travelcat2. The very disruptive renovation of the boutiques during voyages with paying passengers is, I think, the epitome of Silversea's indifference. Note that this renovation ( properly carried out in dry dock) is meant to enhance revenue from concessionaires. Not to enhance the guest experience. The five larger original ships are apparently being allowed to become shabbier and shabbier while Silversea invests in smaller expedition ships.

Oh boy,this thread has gotten me more than a little worried. I was on Whisper in April of 13 on the last leg of the WC. It needed a little sprucing up then, but was heading into dry dock a few weeks after. I'm doing 3 segments on the 2015 WC from Sydney to Singapore. Can anyone that's sailed on her in the last month or so post a report on the good,bad and ugly ? Thanks in advance.