Lunch Salads in MDR?

On some RCI ships we have enjoyed the prepared salads for lunch in the MDR. It's called the Tutti Salad and you walk around a table selecting the greens, eggs, shrimp, chicken, dressings & the like and they toss it for you. Good lunch option and very quick.

Anyone seen this lately in the Carnival MDRs?

Yes, they stopped serving lunch in the MDR and now just do brunch on sea days. However, I feel the salad bar on the Lido deck is quite good. There is a huge variety of veggies, fruits, meats and cheeses available. I'm sure you could find something you liked. Of course, it's not the same as being served, but the salad is yummy nevertheless.

On some RCI ships we have enjoyed the prepared salads for lunch in the MDR. It's called the Tutti Salad and you walk around a table selecting the greens, eggs, shrimp, chicken, dressings & the like and they toss it for you. Good lunch option and very quick.

Anyone seen this lately in the Carnival MDRs?

Our last 2 cruises, Sunshine & Dream, they had just what you are describing set up on Promenade deck. We never tried it, but it looked very good.

Our last 2 cruises, Sunshine & Dream, they had just what you are describing set up on Promenade deck. We never tried it, but it looked very good.

Never have seen a cruise member tossing your salad for you on lido.

Personally think I a more than capable of doing my own tossing and just wondering why RCCL would be doing this? BTW dont at all mean to start an arguement here just scratching my head at this.

Edited by golfadj

The only reason for this I can think of is to keep everyone's dirty hands off the mixing utensils assuming there is a communal mixing fork and spoon. We never ate one meal in the main lido buffet last week. The salad bar looked amazing, though.

The only reason for this I can think of is to keep everyone's dirty hands off the mixing utensils assuming there is a communal mixing fork and spoon. We never ate one meal in the main lido buffet last week. The salad bar looked amazing, though.

Carnival does provide a very nice assortment. We throw things on our plate, put dressing on and than mix when we sit down but can see where someone takes some carrots and than uses that untensil to mix.

The Lido does have a very nice salad bar. Looking forward to trying the brunch on our upcoming cruise. I heard the steak and eggs were great!

Steak and eggs are very good just a rather small steak they serve. Also the tomato soup is outstanding.

Steak and eggs are very good just a rather small steak they serve. Also the tomato soup is outstanding.

Out of the filet mignon, prime rib and chateubriand I tried in the MDR at dinner, the small filet mignon at brunch was hands down the best cut.

Out of the filet mignon, prime rib and chateubriand I tried in the MDR at dinner, the small filet mignon at brunch was hands down the best cut.

That is why I keep thinking I should get 3 or 4 and save two for a nice lunch steak sandwich.

The magic had a great salad bar with a person who would mix it for you, you picked dressings and ingredients. It was amazing and I ate it for lunch everyday.

25 cruises on Carnival and dont think I have ever seen a salad tosser. Going on Conquest next month and will watch for that.

25 cruises on Carnival and dont think I have ever seen a salad tosser. Going on Conquest next month and will watch for that.

On the magic it was on the promenade, by the Lanai barbecue but inside, not anywhere near the buffets

Edited by TxChick

The salad maker that the previous poster is talking about was on the Dream, too. I'm thinking maybe only Dream Class ships have this. It was located on the Promenade Deck and they were making salads to order. We had them on Sea Days and our group thought they were great. It was where the old sushi bar was. We last sailed Dream two years ago. I'm not sure, but there was also some other type of food there, too. Maybe a sandwich. Can't remember.

The salad maker that the previous poster is talking about was on the Dream, too. I'm thinking maybe only Dream Class ships have this. It was located on the Promenade Deck and they were making salads to order. We had them on Sea Days and our group thought they were great. It was where the old sushi bar was. We last sailed Dream two years ago. I'm not sure, but there was also some other type of food there, too. Maybe a sandwich. Can't remember.

Been on the Dream twice and enjoyed lunch on the lunai but dont remember this. On the inside they had a bunch of wraps but that is all I remember.

Could be I just didnt notice it.

Having sailed both lines and having had the salad the poster is talking about,the options for the salad are much better than what is at the standard buffet salad bar on Carnival, or even the buffet on RCCl or NCL. there are higher quality and more upscale ingredient options. I assume having it prepared for you keeps the quantities at a reasonable amount as opposed to people getting said ingredients themselves. I can see the shrimp option being empty pretty quickly! :D

All this talk of salad tossing.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Been reading in amazement myself.

Carnival Pride 7 day Mexican Riviera: September 2008

Carnival Inspiration 4 day Mexican Riviera: September 2013

Carnival Miracle 15 day Hawaii: coming October 2015

There used to be a good steak salad served in the MDR for lunch. It was very popular. So of course it isn't on the brunch menu.

Wouldn't you know it...I loved that..do remember...sarah (hi):)

The custom tossed salads with a wrap is my favorite lunch option on Dream class ships. The ingredients are so fresh and cut up small just like I prefer. I usually take a wrap back to my cabin to keep in the fridge for a late night snack without having to wait for room service.