Setting up on board acct

awilliams98

Okay, my husband and I will be on the Getaway on November 1st. This is our first NCL cruise. I just saw a post about setting up the account onboard using cash vs. A card. On our May cruise through Carnival I was able to set up the acct online using my card...but I don't remember seeing an option to do that when I did my online check in. Also the author of the post I read seemed to be concerned with authorization holds. As this is my first time with NCL I have a couple of questions:

1. Do I have to wait till I board and go to guest services to set up the onboard acct? Seems like the line would be out the door if that were the case...If this is not the case how do I set up the onboard acct using a card?

2. Should I worry about authorization holds? Is that something that they?

Thanks for any help.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Forums mobile app

You will set up the account at check-in at the pier by handing the agent your credit card. I remember entering my card info on Carnival's website too; NCL doesn't do it that way.

Don't worry about the hold.

have fuN!!!

Edited by mizlorinj

On NCL you present your credit card at check in on the pier to set up your account, not before.

They obtain pre-authorizations, which are not "holds" per se but do have the effect of reducing your available line of credit. It's not an issue unless you don't have much of an available credit line on your card.

2. Should I worry about authorization holds? Is that something that they?

Just like car rental companies, hotels, etc, also cruise lines place holds on cards to make sure that they can charge the card when the final bill is composed.

When you are using credit cards and are not too close to the limit, you should not even notice this unless you visit CC company's online service every day immediately after the cruise).

Edited by Demonyte

Thanks everyone!!! I guess the only problem now is that I don't have a credit card...only debit, which is what I used on Carnival...they "held" $200 but that was money I could use...they told me if I spent that $200 they would "hold" another $200 that I could spend...I had no problems after getting off the ship...no further "holds". So if I don't have a credit card what would be my best option cash or debit?

NCL recommendes that debitcards are not used for onboard expenses - while in theory the operation is just like you have experienced with Carnival, in reality the hold(s) can stay there for up to 30 days depending on the bank. So my advice would be to use cash, $200pp is fine even though NCL recommends $300pp for a week.

See NCL's FAQ about money matters here: http://www.ncl.com/faq#onboard-expenses

Credit card is the easiest.

Debit can be the worst.. unless you have a healthy balance in your checking account and can live with holds.

Cash works fine.

NEVER, ever use the term card or credit card when referring to a debit card. The confusion and wrong information you might get is only looking for trouble.

Edited by garycarla

Yea...I'm glad I asked before boarding or I would have been so confused. Yea...I know to be careful with those terms, I wasn't thinking clearly with my original post I guess. We rent cars when traveling and I always have to contact the rental car places to make sure they take debit, lol!!! It's so annoying but that's the price of choosing not to have credit cards.

Cash is the way to go! My bank reimburse all ATM fee's so its so much easier to grab cash from an ATM then deposit it into the account on the first day. We simply checked the balance once a day and got a check for the remaining balance the week after the cruise in the mail.