Help with Travel and phobia's!!!

c*r*u*I*s*e

Hi all

Myself and my wife travel to Rome,as part of our Mediterranean adventure, aboard Emerald Princess in early September!!

What I'd like to know is:- how twisty and winding are the roads going by coach from Civitavecchia port and the Vatican!!

My wife has severe phobia about coaches in particular, but refuses to contemplate the train, especially as more than one ship will be present on that day and the carriages are likely to be crowded!!!

We've never been around the Vatican, and its always been on our bucket list, so I'd appreciate some information about the coach journey

Steve n Wendy

You will be on a major highway for a good part of the ride. Once you get to Rome, you shouldn't have too much with windy roads. I won't say 'she should be fine' as how do I know? However, the ride is not like going high into dirt roads winding through hills in Caribbean islands.

If your wife would like to avoid coaches, how about arranging a private tour. Go to your roll call and see if there are others who might like to share the ride/cost with you. It would make for a very pleasant day and avoid your wife's anxiety on a bus.

Edited by sail7seas

I just wanted to add that the ride is about 90 minutes each way.

Keith

If you think the carriages on the train will be crowded, just wait till you get to the Vatican!!:eek::eek:

Right on both of these comments. :)

2016 is a Holy Year/Jubilee. There will be an incredible number of tourists and pilgrims in Rome - millions more than in normal years all trying to get into the Vatican and St. Peters. Please look at the photos here to get an idea of the kinds of crowds which will be present:

http://italyexplained.com/jubilee-year-2016-what-you-need-to-know-about-the-holy-year-of-mercy/

Since your wife has problems with crowds, I suggest you choose to go somewhere else the day you are docked in Civitavecchia such as:

Bomarzo (Parco di Mostri), Villa Lante and Villa Farnese

Lake Bracchiano

Ostia Antica

Assisi

Orvieto

Hadrien's Villa

Villa d'Este

Just stay the heck away from Rome if your wife is uncomfortable in crowds because Rome is going to be crazy crowded during the entire Holy Year.

2016 is a Holy Year/Jubilee. There will be an incredible number of tourists and pilgrims in Rome - millions more than in normal years all trying to get into the Vatican and St. Peters. Please look at the photos here to get an idea of the kinds of crowds which will be present:

http://italyexplained.com/jubilee-year-2016-what-you-need-to-know-about-the-holy-year-of-mercy/

Since your wife has problems with crowds, I suggest you choose to go somewhere else the day you are docked in Civitavecchia such as:

Bomarzo (Parco di Mostri), Villa Lante and Villa Farnese

Lake Bracchiano

Ostia Antica

Assisi

Orvieto

Hadrien's Villa

Villa d'Este

Just stay the heck away from Rome if your wife is uncomfortable in crowds because Rome is going to be crazy crowded during the entire Holy Year.

My DH and I were in Rome the last Holy Year and the Pope had an open audience in St. Peter's Square. It was mobbed but so memorable. We wouldn't have missed it for anything. Very special for Catholics and non-Catholics alike.

Thank you for all of your advice and help!!

Sail7seas.....I think you may have a point about a 'share', will take that point on board seriously when our Roll call is in free flow!!

My wife hasn't a problem with crowds generally, mainly just on public transport, and as the journey is mainly main roads,will be worth risking.

Thank you for being constructive!!!

Steve n Wendy

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all

Myself and my wife travel to Rome,as part of our Mediterranean adventure, aboard Emerald Princess in early September!!

What I'd like to know is:- how twisty and winding are the roads going by coach from Civitavecchia port and the Vatican!!

My wife has severe phobia about coaches in particular, but refuses to contemplate the train, especially as more than one ship will be present on that day and the carriages are likely to be crowded!!!

We've never been around the Vatican, and its always been on our bucket list, so I'd appreciate some information about the coach journey

Steve n Wendy

It's mostly Highway.

I would not recommend to go by Train, as they tend to go on strike unanounced or stop in the middle of nowhere and you get closer to departure time of you ship and don't know if you might not make it.

Book a trip with the ship excursions.

I'm usually a "on my own" in port, but in Civitavecchia I would not do it

Have to agree with the above. There are some ports where it really is best to bite the bullet and pay what we all usually think are inflated costs for ships tours. A timely, safe return to the ship is always our criteria although there are some ports where a do it yourself tour is fine. Rome is not one of them.

Which ever way you select to travel to Rome, make sure that you go with someone that has a guide pass that allows to by pass the general line which will be really long at the Vatican.

And, as other have said, be ready for a tightly packed crowd at times inside.

Bob