St.Maarten. Name your Top 3 things to do in

So is the straw market in Marigot? Is there also other type shops? Looking forward to the bakery. Diet be gone on vacations!

I too was looking forward to Serafina's. FYI it is closed on Monday.[emoji23] Didn't get to try it. There is a patisserie a few doors down but it was just soso.

Sadly it appears that Orient is in a transformation phase and not ideal for visit this season.

I don't know about 'ideal', but I believe that Orient is still ready for visitors.

The project going on only affects 9 bar/restaurants out of 20 along the 1.3 mile long beach. If you were used to visiting those unaffected businesses, little has changed.

This isn't 'season' on the island other than being the low of low season. That's why they're doing the work now. It is supposed to be completed by the end of September.

In another thread, my friend karysa posted: Honestly Orient isn't the same in the summer as it is in high season. It's simply uninspiring.

I have to agree with this sentiment, as during high season the entire beach is really jumping, and to us watching everyone enjoying themselves is great entertainment.

gary

1) Blue Safari "Splash 3 Island" boat tour http://www.bluesafarisstmaarten.com/ Captain Fab was great! Doing "Anguilla Splash" next time.

2) Orient Beach. Easy to get there by taxi.

3) Bernard's Tours http://www.bernardstours.com/

4) Maho Beach, when the planes are active

I went on their website and Blue Safari looks like fun. Were there bathroom facilities on the islands you visit? Where was lunch served?

Debbie

I went on their website and Blue Safari looks like fun. Were there bathroom facilities on the islands you visit? Where was lunch served?

I think there was a real bathroom at Pinel Island and I know there was a real bathroom at the lunch restaurant.

Our lunch was at a restaurant called Rainbow Cafe, which was very good. I see now that the Blue Safari web site mentions that lunch is at Sunset Cafe, which also has good reviews. Both are in Grand Case, the NW, French side. But then if you scroll down more, you see a Rainbow menu, so I don't know where you might stop. You could email and ask, but it might be a day-to-day decision? I would trust them and enjoy either restaurant. :)

St. Maarten. We've booked a guide for a very small group and she plans to custom tailor a tour of St. Maarten based on our wishes. So I'm compiling a list!

What would you do, go see, etc. ?

Thanks in advance!

Spend the day on the beach at Club Orient on Orient beach! Lunch at Papagayo's, drinks at the Perch!

Things we did:

1. Rent a car

2. Drive to Orient Beach- stay for a couple of hours under an umbrella and swim in the amazing water

3. Drive to Grand Case- walk the town a bit, eat at a LoLo (sp?), don't miss this! Fabulous food.

4. Drive to Marigot- explore the town for a couple of hours, including the open air market shops and stores in town

5.Drive back to the port, turn in car and head back to the ship

It was one of the best days we have ever had in four cruises to the Caribbean.

Things we did:

1. Rent a car

2. Drive to Orient Beach- stay for a couple of hours under an umbrella and swim in the amazing water

3. Drive to Grand Case- walk the town a bit, eat at a LoLo (sp?), don't miss this! Fabulous food.

4. Drive to Marigot- explore the town for a couple of hours, including the open air market shops and stores in town

5.Drive back to the port, turn in car and head back to the ship

It was one of the best days we have ever had in four cruises to the Caribbean.

Who did you rent a car from and how much was it? Sounds fun..

I know its not for everyone, we did it on a rented Harley Davidson. It was a great day of site seeing. We first went to Orient Beach and drove through Marigot. On the way back we stopped at Maho.

We did the same but instead of a Harley we were on a 4 wheeler. It was a great way to see the island.

America's Cup Adventure. This is the top excursion in the Caribbean.

They have real America's Cup veteran 12 meter yachts, each with 3 professional crew and rest of the crew is from the excursion. Great fun for all.

Do I need an international driving permit?

We just used our CA drivers licenses. I think we had to show our passports too, but not sure of that, it was very easy and affordable. In fact I was just asking DH this weekend if he wanted to do a tour or rent a taxi with driver for the day, and he said driving was so easy and we could go anywhere and do anything we wanted, why do anything else.

In March when we go back we plan to explore the Dutch side and then drive around and eat at a lolo again. The best ever experience.

I think the Americas Cup idea is good though!

If anyone knows of a liquor store where we can purchase absinthe I would appreciate a recommendation!

• 2 weeks later...

We just finished a cruise with our grandson and tried on every island to get in touch with companies that had car seats. GIVE UP!

We brought a light weight easy to install one and in St. Martin we used D&A taxi for a tour with beach. It was wonderful, she supplied drinks and was helpful with the seat.

Does anyone know the cost of Joyce prince?

Is it a van? As traveling with 6 adults & 2 children

Does she supply car seats?

You need to contact Joyce directly for a price quote.

It depends on how long you want, how many people, and when you want to tour.

She has various vehicles available, from her car for two or three or a van for up to six or more and even a bus for a group of 20 or more. She has a driver for those, and she narrates.

And YES, she does have car seats available.

gary