Viking and the Danube--It's Good to be Big

FuelScience

With all the problems on the Danube right now, I don't think that I've seen a single complaint on CC from a Viking passenger. As stated in the article that Jazzbeau posted this morning, Viking is dealing with the low water using ship swaps.

From what I understand about the swap, the passengers just have to pack their bags before leaving the ship for an tour, and after their normal excursion and a bus ride, they're on an almost identical ship, in an identical cabin with their luggage sitting there waiting for them.

So unlike the situation in 2013 with high water, Viking is likely to come out of this low water situation smelling like a rose. Size has its advantages!

FuelScience

From what I understand about the swap, the passengers just have to pack their bags before leaving the ship for an tour, and after their normal excursion and a bus ride, they're on an almost identical ship, in an identical cabin with their luggage sitting there waiting for them.

Packing and unpacking everyday does not sound like any fun to me. I would rather a refund so I could stay in a hotel and not deal with the hassle. YMMV.

Packing and unpacking everyday does not sound like any fun to me. I would rather a refund so I could stay in a hotel and not deal with the hassle. YMMV.

I believe this packing/unpacking is done one time, not every day.

Edited by janetcbl
Extra word

I believe this packing/unpacking is done one time, not every day.

Yes - they move once. I was reading about this elsewhere and some of the staff (Program Director, etc.) also move so the people you are used to dealing with also move. Pretty impressive!

Edited by Coral

You apparently did not read the many "Deleted" posts on Viking FB wall from posters either stuck on a boat or just returned. These accounts did not stay up for longer than a couple (ish) hours before being removed.

You apparently did not read the many "Deleted" posts on Viking FB wall from posters either stuck on a boat or just returned. These accounts did not stay up for longer than a couple (ish) hours before being removed.

If you look at the article on CC News - not all the ships affected are able to be swapped. For those that are, it is impressive. Others have had their itinerary adjusted or cancelled (like other lines have).

No, I don't read Facebook posts.

Edited by Coral

You apparently did not read the many "Deleted" posts on Viking FB wall from posters either stuck on a boat or just returned. QUOTE]

Was just wanting to know how to read "Deleted" post?

You apparently did not read the many "Deleted" posts on Viking FB wall from posters either stuck on a boat or just returned. QUOTE]

Was just wanting to know how to read "Deleted" post?

Ohhh very clever :) these are usually read BEFORE they are deleted!! Which of course makes those posters even angrier so they post multiple times....

I can only hope Viking is taking care of ALL of their cruisers going thru these changes. I'll have to see if I can catch some of the negative posts before they're removed.

Moving once would not be ideal, but it'd be better than having my whole cruise canceled.

I have no doubt Viking (and all the other cruise lines) are trying very hard to work with all of their cruisers. My friends who have been affected in the past thought Viking went above and beyond given the circumstances.

Edited by Coral

Coral I agree. Viking isn't perfect but then which cruise lines are? It's nice to not read constant Viking bashing from several posters. We've cruised with Viking 5 times with another booked in 2016, no, every trip was not perfect and yes, we have been affected (not cancelled) by water levels. While frustrating they do what they can, maybe it's not always the right move for everyone. Yes, Viking gets bad press on CC but sometimes I feel others 'feed' off the complainers.

I have no doubt Viking (and all the other cruise lines) are trying very hard to work with all of their cruisers. My friends who have been affected in the past thought Viking went above and beyond given the circumstances.

That's good to hear. I've also heard the same about Tauck, Avalon, Uniworld and AMA straight from the horses' mouths as I am in contact with many, many passengers on these lines throughout the year.

It's not how they handle those that are satisfied, but how they handle those that aren't reasonably satisfied. That's what makes the difference between a good cruise line and a great one IMO.

A family member was on the Elbe with Viking in 2014. Given the absolute nightmare she endured because of low water, I wouldn't even consider giving using this company. Very, very poor communications and they required everyone to sign a gag order before they could receive compensation. Not the way to treat your guests.

We travelled one month later with Avalon on the Danube and we had our 7 day cruise turned into a half bus/half cruise trip in which we packed our bag and stayed in different hotels each night for 7 nights. Bags outside the door by 7am every day!!! Yuck, but Avalon gave us a decent amount of compensation with no question asked! It was provided to us within 2 weeks of coming home.

A family member was on the Elbe with Viking in 2014. Given the absolute nightmare she endured because of low water, I wouldn't even consider giving using this company. Very, very poor communications and they required everyone to sign a gag order before they could receive compensation. Not the way to treat your guests.

We travelled one month later with Avalon on the Danube and we had our 7 day cruise turned into a half bus/half cruise trip in which we packed our bag and stayed in different hotels each night for 7 nights. Bags outside the door by 7am every day!!! Yuck, but Avalon gave us a decent amount of compensation with no question asked! It was provided to us within 2 weeks of coming home.

Really good comparison of the two. Thanks for the info.

most people chose cruising because they dislike packing/unpacking. for some the ship is the destination so it is understandable that people are disappointed when presented with having to accept those conditions.

Just to set the record straight.We are on the Viking Ingvi now .We arrived in Passau yesterday and everything went as scheduled.Last night we were informed that water levels were too low to go any further.Today those that wished were bussed to Regensburg for scheduled tours plu s extra complimentary ones.Tonight we pack our cases, and tomorrow we bus to Nuremburg and do scheduled tours plus free lunch with drinks included,and then board another ship identical to this one.We then carry on as originally scheduled.

The same procedure has been carried out on the Viking Ve one day ahead.

Our personal opinion is that Viking have done their best to provide a solution that ensures passengers receive a service as close to normal as possible without missing out on anything.

I should add that on the new ship we get the same room,the program director and I think the hotel director go with us,and we only pay gratuities once,at the end of the cruise.

I imagine that the hotel director will stay as they manage the hotel team, however the program director will definitely go with you.

Spare a thought for the crew of the 2 ships that will have to do a lot of extra cleaning / bag moving etc , it is normally done under time pressure and they still smile.

However the advantage of the big lines (especially Viking), as said by the op , is that they have loads of boats and they are generally identical so swaps are possible.