Complimentary Ride To Terminal

CruisePrincess6

This makes no sense at all. Did you return the car to a different Hertz location? The airport rental car return is in the garage opposite terminal 1 and Jet Blue departs from terminal 3. As Dan said, the info on the airport website is quite explicit:

Returning Cars

Before your departing flight, please return the rental car to the appropriate company in the RCC. A detailed
will help you find the Rental Car Center.

Shuttle buses will take you from the RCC to Terminals 2, 3, and 4 for your departing flight. Terminal 1 is accessible via the pedestrian bridge on level 2.

RCC shuttle service operates on the lower level at all terminals and level 3 of the Rental Car Center. The service is available every 10 minutes, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

and on another page:

How do I get TO the terminals FROM the Rental Car Center?

To Terminal 1- located at the 2nd Floor level is a pedestrian bridge that connects directly to concourse B of terminal 1. To Terminal 2, 3, & 4 - located at the 3rd floor level, outside the main entrance of the Rental Car Center, are courtesy shuttles that are located that transport passengers to each terminals, except Terminal 1

Edited by capriccio

Our Hertz rental car was dropped off at the FLL rental return excectly where we dropped it off in the past. The person that drove us in our rental car over to the terminal told us that the $25 fee was implemented about 2 weeks ago and everyone is very angry. Called Hertz customer service this morning and was told that is the new procedure. Car was dropped off this past Friday. Looking to use another car rental that does not charge in the future. Any suggestions?

Our Hertz rental car was dropped off at the FLL rental return excectly where we dropped it off in the past. The person that drove us in our rental car over to the terminal told us that the $25 fee was implemented about 2 weeks ago and everyone is very angry. Called Hertz customer service this morning and was told that is the new procedure. Car was dropped off this past Friday. Looking to use another car rental that does not charge in the future. Any suggestions?

I know the airport is sometimes slow in updating info, but I would call them as well and find out if this is indeed a new procedure. Maybe it's something that Hertz is hoping people don't realize they don't have to do, that they can simply walk outside and catch the bus to the terminal rather than pay to be driven in their rental car. Almost scam-like.

Just called the airport. Very nice but no control over what the rental companies do. Has anyone had a better experience with another rental company since we won't be using Hertz again.

I presume (since we've seen no reports about this from cruisers using other rental agencies) the Rental Car Center free shuttle is still offered. Hertz should be ashamed of themselves - $25 to go a less than 1/2 mile according to google maps! Thank you for warning people.

I expect it was this service:

Hertz Terminal Drive Back

In a hurry and don't want to wait for the bus? Let Hertz take you directly to your terminal!

It's easy: Just bring your car to the Hertz Return Area, and a representative will deliver you and your luggage to the terminal for your flight. No worries or hassles!

Purchase Price only $20.00. (Varies by airport) Applied to your final rental charge by choosing “Select Now” below.

SELECT NOW TO RESERVE YOUR SPOT

Act now this service is subject to availability.

This is not the courtesy transportation, it is a private car directly to your terminal for a fee. If you are in danger of missing a flight, or at an airport that is godawful for returns like MIA, I can see why some would pay it. But at FLL, the courtesy bus is quick and I don't know why renters would pay the additional. Did you get an email offering it? Or did the person handling the return prompt for it?

We just dropped off our Hertz rental car at FLL and were charged $25 to drive us to the JetBlue terminal. Have never been charged in the past. Was told this was recently implemented. Want to know if every car rental agency is charging.

Did you call Hertz?

My guess is that you were scammed by the driver.

Did you call Hertz?

My guess is that you were scammed by the driver.

It's not a scam by the driver, the post right above yours explains it. I also found a thread on Flyertalk from last spring regarding this. It's something Hertz used to just do in many cases, and now they charge for it. Of course, they should also be pointing out the free shuttles are still there if you want to carry your stuff over to it and wait.

Well I have to say I am confused because for the longest time now, ONLY Alamo and National participated in the free shuttle bus service from airport to pier. I know this for a fact since we rented twice from Budget and had to take a cab to the pier.

No, this is a separate thing. This is about getting to the airport terminals from the rental car return. Terminal 1 is just across the bridge, but the other 3 terminals have shuttle buses (free) that run around the airport taking people between the terminals and rental centre. The OP was taken to their terminal by the Hertz employee (presumably in their rental car) to the airport terminal and charged $25, which is a service Hertz now charges for. They used to offer it, generally to their gold plus members, but now they charge for it. Most of these customers would be renting on an expense account anyway so they would rather just get a lift to the terminal rather than schlep their luggage outside and wait for the bus and don't care about the 25 bucks. However, it appears they didn't tell the OP that the free bus was still available, which is rather misleading.

Edited by DanJ

No, this is a separate thing. This is about getting to the airport terminals from the rental car return...

Gotcha, thank you so much and sorry for my confusion. :o I remember actually walking between terminals and the rental car center two months ago when we arrived at FLL. It wasn't that far for us, but I can absolutely see how it would be a kick in the pants to be charged so much for this service.

This may be Hertz's new policy, but I still call it a scam. They participate in the Rental Car Center, so if you ask about transportation to the terminals they should advise you of your choices, including the free RCC shuttle on level 3 of the RCC. By the way, if you are going to terminal 1 it is a very short walk.

They never told us about the free shuttle service. It was very early and the person we returned the car to was very rude. Told us it was very far to the JetBlue terminal. Had no choice but to pay $25. Never use Hertz again. Had problems when picking up car at Port Everglades. Ended up with a car that veered to the right. Very scary for 5 days of driving. Was credited 30% back for that but they would not take the $25 off. Still looking for suggestions on another rental company for our next cruise

They never told us about the free shuttle service. It was very early and the person we returned the car to was very rude. Told us it was very far to the JetBlue terminal. Had no choice but to pay $25. Never use Hertz again. Had problems when picking up car at Port Everglades. Ended up with a car that veered to the right. Very scary for 5 days of driving. Was credited 30% back for that but they would not take the $25 off. Still looking for suggestions on another rental company for our next cruise

I like Alamo, but you should be fine with any of the major names (recognizing of course your experience was with one of the most "majorest" of names lol). At least now you know that FLL has free buses to the terminals from the rental centre.

They never told us about the free shuttle service. It was very early and the person we returned the car to was very rude. Told us it was very far to the JetBlue terminal. Had no choice but to pay $25...

Forgive me, but you certainly did have a choice. It's not even $25.00 to go to Port Everglades from the airport, let alone another terminal at the same airport. We have walked the entire airport about 7 weeks ago. We also flew JetBlue and we walked to the rental car center, mid day. It can be done, but I absolutely realize that not everyone is willing or able to do so. What happened to you is wrong and I am not excusing rudeness by any employee to a customer - but, you did have a choice.

Complaining about it here probably won't help you. Take it up with Hertz - they are the only ones who can make this better (not "right", but at least better).

Forgive me, but you certainly did have a choice. It's not even $25.00 to go to Port Everglades from the airport, let alone another terminal at the same airport. We have walked the entire airport about 7 weeks ago. We also flew JetBlue and we walked to the rental car center, mid day. It can be done, but I absolutely realize that not everyone is willing or able to do so. What happened to you is wrong and I am not excusing rudeness by any employee to a customer - but, you did have a choice.

Complaining about it here probably won't help you. Take it up with Hertz - they are the only ones who can make this better (not "right", but at least better).

I thought the post was very informative, as I had never heard of this service by them. I certainly wouldn't want to drag luggage to terminal 3 from the rental return, I have no idea about anyone else (and I walk all day pushing and pulling a load). We also don't know how much experience the OP has with this airport (or with returning a car there before a flight). Needless to say though, based on prior posts, they aren't rookie travellers, that's for sure. Sure, there is always the choice to walk, but when most airports offer courtesy shuttles and all of a sudden you have an "airport" employee saying this is the only way at this airport, I can see why you would feel pressured at the very least.