Global Entry vs. Mobile Passport

klfrodo

Neither is any good if returning from a cruise.

However, I decided to report our experience anyway.

I've got Global Entry, my wife does not.

I heard about this new app called Mobile Passport that is approved by USCBP.

We recently returned from an AI in Jamaica and returned thru MIA.

My wife had her approval from USCBP before I could even get to the Global Entry kiosk.

She followed the same lines that I went through after I printed out my Global Entry documents.

We went to baggage claim, retrieved our luggage.

Again, she went through the same lines I did when clearing customs.

We did go through separately just to test the system.

End of day,,, I spent a lot of money and time getting approved for Global Entry.

She downloaded an App and received the same service.

Mobile Passport is not approved at all US International Airports yet. Makes life easier though.

FWIW, recently used the non-GE automated kiosks at SEA. Must be at least 40 or more - there were plenty empty when we got to them. Took about 3 minutes max to do two people (and most of that was getting in the right position for the photo), then took the receipts to an agent who stamped them (no line), then no line going out the door through customs.

Not sure how GE could have worked much faster. As for the mobile app, don't they have signs saying NO CELLPHONES in the customs area? Or is this government "right hand/left hand" in action??

Will have to try the mobile app sometime to compare with the kiosk.

On the Mobile Passport website there are currently only 5 US airports where this is available. The last time we flew into the US was from YVR. We were able to use Global Entry there. Anyone relying in Mobile Passport would have been out of luck.

don't they have signs saying NO CELLPHONES in the customs area?

They have in Boston...Pete took his phone out of his pocket to check the limo service, & we were instantly surrounded by very stern-faced men.

Steve

Global Entry also gets you into the TSA Pre-Check lottery. And, it gave me another piece of Government-issued ID with my picture and no PII on it - it is my go-to ID card.

My GE was very fast in May at JFK; walked right to an empty kiosk, did the swipe, fingerprint scan, answered the questions, and I had my piece of paper within a minute.

GE will pretty soon be obsolete as it exists now. The powers that be will have to come up with another "perk" for international travelers to keep buying it.

GE will pretty soon be obsolete as it exists now. The powers that be will have to come up with another "perk" for international travelers to keep buying it.

Okay, I'll bite what is the new "perk". Unfortunately since we got our GE we haven't had a chance to use it. Now having to get Nexus as well - and waiting on that.

Anyone that fly's into Newark or IAD -- Global Entry is the best. IAD in the C transfer terminal is a zoo. Without GE after passport -- you have to stand 30 minutes in a queue to get thru customs. GE to the head of the line :)

Newark - made from international flight, thru passport, thru customs, up the stairs, TA pre check, to gate in 15 minutes. Beat my international pilot to the gate who was heading home to MCO. We both got seats on the early flight -- saved a 2 hour wait for the next flight.

Anyone that fly's into Newark or IAD -- Global Entry is the best. IAD in the C transfer terminal is a zoo. Without GE after passport -- you have to stand 30 minutes in a queue to get thru customs. GE to the head of the line :)

Newark - made from international flight, thru passport, thru customs, up the stairs, TA pre check, to gate in 15 minutes. Beat my international pilot to the gate who was heading home to MCO. We both got seats on the early flight -- saved a 2 hour wait for the next flight.

I've had my best GE experiences at SFO and DFW...that is, making it from the plane to the curb in under 10 minutes without bags. The worst - ORD. No matter what, half of their machines (or more) are ALWAYS broken at ORD. It's a joke, to the point where that factors in to my decision of what airport to arrive back in to the US.